See Also: 2005 Subaru Outback

2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport

2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport
Available in 1 styles:  2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Station Wagon shown

23 city / 30 hwy

Overall

Not reliable

by Darthdaddy81 from Chattanooga, TN | November 15, 2014

The spoiler whistles, like there's a window cracked. Thanks to ethanol being required in my state for every gas pump: I have to change two 02 sensors every six months. The cv axles are terrible, the suspension is made for a much lighter car, the mileage isn't too great.

work ride

by mossy tail from Three Springs PA | April 23, 2013

Bought my 2005 subaru used at J&B Auto sales in Tunnelton WV. I've had it for 3 months it had 115,000 miles when i purchased it. when its cold it shifts hard & the rear struts feel spundgy a lot of bounce when going over bumps. But other than that so far so good. Get those few issues taken care of & i should have a pretty good work ride.

I wish I could have bought a different subaru

by Would have went for a different Subaru. from Kingsville,TX | August 2, 2012

I've owned my 2005 Subaru Outback Sport since November of 05 when I drove it off the lot with 27 miles on it. I really love the way this car handles, it looks cool, and has generally been pretty durable. However... I have done all the basic maintenance, oil changes, timing belts, EFI service, coolant flushes, all of it when it was required. I have had to replace both rear wheel bearings and both front CV axles. All of this happened around 90k miles. I'm at 139k right now and my car has been in the shop for a week for what I suspect is a leaking headgasket. I don't have oil leak unless the engine is running and I can smell the oil dripping onto something and then burning. (No driveway oil puddles though..) I guess we'll see what the mechanic says, hopefully it can be repaired... Read around for the dreaded subaru headgasket problems. I wish someone would have told me when I had subaru-fever when shopping for a new car....

Keeps on hummin'

by Subaru lover from Tempe, Arizona | June 14, 2012

I have owned my Outback for about 50,000 miles. It now has over 108,000 miles on it, and no problems at all. The car still has the original front brakes. The turbo engine is super fun, I get 20mpg in the City driving normally. Passing on the highway is a pleasure, the turbo really shines. AWD makes cornering in the mountain roads a rush.

1995 dodge 1500

by bubbatruck266 from minot nd | February 21, 2012

nice car my wife loves it. sporty all weel drive.i have never owned a subaru before the only thing is mpg it gets 12.5 in the city. very poor but this outback is a turbo

best allaround car I've owned

by Work Car - 250 miles p/day from Hickory, N.C. | January 23, 2012

I use my 05 Subaru Outback Sedan in my job everyday. I work in the mountains of N.C. and the flat lands. Great car in the winter and with decent mileage. My overall rating is as high as I could give. I also have a BMW that sits in the garage. Both are good cars, but for use anywhere and everywhere, the Subaru is hard to beat.

Upgraded from 1997 Outback

by #1SubbyFan from Sioux Falls, SD | January 23, 2012

Bought my "new" 2005 Outback with 101,000 miles on it. I did the expected initial maintenence; timeing belts, water pump, oil pump, drive belts an axle etc. Now i have a car that I will drive another 100,000 miles with out a care or worry. I love the feel of the leather seats and since this car will be used to haul around three rottweilers, the ease of cleaning will be a benefit too. This car seems more "refined" then my 98 Outback which was a welcome change but I still think I miss the "tank" feel of the 97 some too. I can honestly say I've owned more Subarus then most people have owned cars in general and never have I got one I would call bad!!

SUbaru for Truck

by RC from Danbury, CT | January 19, 2012

Only reason I sold this Subaru (Outback L.L. Bean LOADED) was because I needed a truck to haul stuff off my property. Hard to part with. One of the BEST cars I've owned. Trips to Vermont in deep snow were effortless!

Least durable car I ever owned.

by fedup from Waukesha WI | November 14, 2011

When we traded our 1999 Outback in it was only because the trade in value could not be ignored. A big mistake. During the warranty period Subaru replaced the powersteering reservoir and then the pump. At 38k the CO2 sensor went South, $450.00 At 85K the suspension on all four corners needed replacement at $1400 then a rear wheel bearing failed which was replaced on extended warranty,but Subaru refused to replace the other "because it did not make noise" hoping that it would last until it becomes my responsibility at 100K Lately the transmission does not shift when cold and then only with a clunk and the remote door locks do not work. To all that Subaru just shrugs. If I ever see another review touting Subarus durability I'll throw up.

Outback turbo ROX

by Driver guy from Phoenix Arizona | November 10, 2011

2005 Outback 2.5 XT I have put 100,000 miles on this car, so I now feel like I'm qualified to write a review. For me- this car has struck just the right balance between luxury and utility , comfort and performance, style and practicality. I love the turbo- especially going up steep hills on the highway- the car eats them up. Car has held up well, I have had to replace a few items - CV boots are a constant, but I live in Phoenix where the heat is the enemy of all things rubber. One achilles heel on this car (5 speed) is the clutch throw out bearing is good for about 50K. If you are considering buying one- ask when the clutch bearing was last replaced - about a $400 job. Besides that - Outback is a winner in my book.

Featured Services for this Subaru Impreza Outback Sport