2007 Subaru Outback

See Photos & Videos

Overall

nicest car I've owned

by moi from Colville, Washington | May 29, 2013

Love everything about the car but the road noise. I've had the car about 1 month. just took it on a long trip. tire noise is considerable for me. hope new tires will resolve that issue. Am told the tire size, 17 inch, factors into that. why they going to bigger tires??? Look forward to being able to get up my driveway this winter!

Fantastic Value!

by mountain driver from MT | June 11, 2012

I bought a pre-owned 2007 Outback Limited 3 months ago to replace an F150. The gas savings has been even better than expected! Am averaging 25-26mpg, and I drive 9 miles up a 2000' elevation to work everyday and a trip into the nearest town 18 miles away 3-5 times a week. After test driving many vehicles in this size category, this Subaru was hands-down the smoothest and most comfortable. Being in the NW, the heated seats are an added pleasure. Plus the 4 hour snowstorm I was surprised with, and had to drive through, on the second day of ownership confirmed that all of the #1 ratings for best handling in snow were 100% correct. The only drawback I have is that the exterior styling is rather "boring". I wish they had used the two tone versions around the bottom of the car body to break the monotony of all one color with no accents. Overall, I am VERY pleased with this vehicle.

Outback

by Old Motorhead from Philadelphi,PA | April 12, 2010

This is our second Subaru, replacing a Forester that was totaled by an impaired driver (fortunately, it was parked). It was purchased used, through a Subaru dealer, with a 5 year warranty. We had no problem with a used vehicle, based on the 98000 miles on the old one. It is a comfortable, reliable vehicle. Even though it is a "station wagon", it's actually fun to drive. The standard features are excellent. We are planning to buy another Subaru next year.

Best all-round vehicle I've every owned.

by AWD Man from Lafayette, IN | March 8, 2010

Bought the Outback to replace an 04 Forester XT. While I miss the turbo power of the XT motor, the vast improvement in fuel economy and the cost savings in not needing premium fuel more than offset the power difference. The Outback is loaded with the premium options pkg. (Leather, sunroof, etc.) It is extremely well balanced, predictable, and comfortable. I have 65,000 miles on the odometer. (95% road miles) Am averaging 27 mpg. The only wish I have to make this car any better would be a 5 or 6 spd automatic transmission instead of the 4 spd auto/stick. After having owned numerous American, German, and Japanese makes I am convinced that Subaru has the best overall value for the money. I'll eventually buy another Subaru, but this one is a KEEPER!

less power than my previous 2005

by Colodrive from Denver, CO | April 10, 2009

My first Outback XT 2005 is very fast and responsive. My newer one 2007 they changed the Turbo system with a special "select mode" knob. The 2007 has some serious turbo lag , and is much less fun to drive than the 2005 ! Also the auto transmission lags and is sluggish when compared to the 2005.

good car

by venterce from Madison, CT | February 27, 2009

This car is great in the snow. The only thing negative I would say about it is the color of the interior. The very light tan color upolstery is very easy to stain.

A Real Automotive Value... No Joke!

by no.radar from Chicago, Illinois | January 7, 2009

We found a 2007 Outback with under 2,000 miles at a local Subaru dealership. The goal was a reliable first car for a college-senior daughter. The Outback--now with over 13,000 miles on it--has proven itself to be the PERFECT choice. She loves everything about the car, from its Atlantic blue paint to the way the interior is intelligently laid out to the many features common to more expensive cars. Remote start was a terrific option! Mileage on the highway for the non-turbo four cylinder has routinely exceeded 30 mpg. And the all-wheel drive has proven its worth on icy highways this winter. Build quality of the car is on par with VW and Audi (I have owned seven of the latter). Ride is taut, but not harsh. Minimal body lean. Engine has plenty of pep. Handling is precise. Cargo area (and hidden storage) is ample. We'd buy another one in a second. HIGHLY recommended.

I love Outbacks except for bad seats

by SubaruDan from Long Island NY | January 20, 2008

The cloth seats on the Outbacks are very uncomfortable. The head restraint doesn't conform well to my neck and the seat doesn't his my lower back in the right spots. I should have sprung for the extra 3 g for leather as the leather seats conform better to the human body. Gas mileage in suburban driving is almost 20 mpg. On the highway it's more like 27. The computer controlled acceleration can be very frustrating because of hesitation. The price of Outbacks has gone up quite a bit over the years. This is the 4th Outback I've owned -- 1 1995, 2 2001, and 1 2006.

Informed Buyer

by Informed Buyer from NYC - moved to TX | July 9, 2007

As a “madison avenue advertising execuitive”, I have lived and driven in multiple countries (both left and right handed sides), and have owned Honda’s, Mitsubishi’s, Mazda’s, Ford’s, Holden’s and my favorite Saab convertible. But this review is about what my wife and I call the “sporty station wagon”. Yes we all have dreaded memories of our parents road trips in that monstrous fit all car during our early childhoods (depending on your age). But for some of us a ridiculous gas guzzling, unmaneuverable, stylistically challenged and worst of all, generically ubiquitous SUV is not an option. We decided upon an individual car… The Subaru Outback 4 cylinder. The car has superb all wheeldrive, god knows I’ve tried to spin tires, understeer into corners and basically many other rally techniques, but it just keeps holding the bitumen. Borrowing someone else phrase, it has enough “zoom zoom” even without the turbo. And easily rides over the bumpiest terrain without you noticing due to its shocks and above average clearance. Mileage is more than acceptable, ranging from 24 to 31 depending on lead foot or conservative technique. Let’s now discuss the interior and comfort … modern and spacious, very well crafted seats, both front and back and comfortable. Ash tray section is useless but does hold a Motorola V or gate opener rather well. Many fold away anchors for holding all sorts of components in the back and underneath the floor e.g. first aid kit, elastic straps etc etc. Only problem I have noticed is that at about 36 degrees or less the flat tire pressure warning comes on… well that was fixed. Personally speaking the Volvo XC is its only real competitor but at 3 times the price that is the end that. These cars are all made in Japan under the strictest of quality controls and for those whom live in the eastern seaboard and northeast, they are very well known. Of course the image for this vehicle is a sporty, outdoors fit individual and not the 70’s station wagon we all remember. My advice, test it … after all test driving is free and an informed buyer never has remorse, they only glee each time you drive past a large SUV and look at the never smiling driver beside you.

Subaru Has Changed

by Scott from California | April 17, 2007

This is my third Outback and it's going to be my last. My last two Outbacks, a 1997 and 2001, were excellent. I would buy another one in a minute. But something changed in 2007. This new car does not sound right and has driveability issues. There is hesitation and bucking when going downhill. Gas mileage is not good either. I can't seem to get over 23 mpg no matter what I do. A 2.5 liter engine should get mid- to high 20s. Performance is lacking compared to my ohter Subarus. Overall, I can't believe I actually bought this car. If I could afford it, I would trade it for something else, anything else.

Featured Services for this Subaru Outback