2012 Subaru Outback

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Tried a Subaru

by MikeOutBack from Westford. MA | July 8, 2014

We do a lot of camping and are looking to upgrade to a pop-up trailer. We needed something with more interior room than my Volvo V50. The Outback has 8 cf more interior storage than the V50. It is also a lot more afford able than a Volvo XC70. We lake the AWD and the storable roof racks. Comfort and handling are not as good as the old Volvo. But this was expected in a bigger car.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Great car for the money

by Crazy Al from Jordan, New York | June 2, 2014

We traded in our 2001 outback for a 2012 outback and so far we are very pleased with our upgrade. We went into Bill Rapp super store to look for a newer car and we sat and talked to Joel S. and he showed us a few cars so we could make an informed decision about the car we purchased. There was no pressure to buy IE: the deal wont be here tomorrow, so we talked about what was available at the price we wanted and made a purchase. My better half really likes the color and how it rides and handles, and I like the warranty that we got 7 years/100,000 bumper to bumper 0 deductible, it had 24,500 miles on it so we should be good to go for awhile. I can wait for winter to get here , yes I mean can wait, but I know we will be ready for it when it does come and will be able to go out into it with no worries when it dose get here.

Good Pick!

by Barb from Grand Rapids, MI | April 21, 2014

I was doubtful on purchasing a SUV/crossover as I have always owned a Sedan - Toyota's. I have had my Outback Limited a month now and am pleasantly surprised. It is just as comfortable as my Solara was and has as much pick up and go as theV6 engine I had. The one thing I have to get used to - with the car being higher than a sedan, when it is windy, you need two hands on the wheel as I can feel the wind pushing the the car. The other thing - I wish the dash board was easier to read. The numbers are so small for mph, time and gas consumption, I have to wait until I am stopped to read it. Overall, I think I will enjoy the car for years to come.

Excellent Customer Service!!

by Roger's Mom from Bethel, Alaska | February 4, 2014

I was searching for a vehicle and that's when I was introduced to Payless Car Sales in Anchorage. When I arrived I was greeted by several, pleasant staff members, all willing to answer my questions. I think that was a record time line for being able to get service, the answers and drive off the lot with the vehicle. If your looking for a vehicle and excellent customer service, without the hassle of the run a round, go see Payless Car Sales. Just can't say enough about my experience, you will feel the same.

Family car with room to spare

by Luv my subaru from Oklahoma | November 4, 2013

Overall, this is a fabulous car for our family of five. There is even room in the back for the dogs when they want a ride. I have a tall husband and this is the first car in a while he has not had to bend his head sideways to get in or felt that he was int he middle seat on the airplane when sitting in it. There is room for our regard care seat and our two older children in the back with space between everyone. I do not love the ivory interior but have scotch guarded it to help with that problem. The handling is like that of an SUV not a car as it was in the orders smallerr outbacks. But it handles well and feels solid on the road. One exterior feature I do not love is the ribbed look under the doors. These catch mud and so I have to be careful not to get it on my legs when I get in or out of the car as we live on a dirt road. Mileage wise it does Greta around 30 mpg. We have the premium with the all weather package and the warm seats are definitely a plus. Also I highly recommend adding the all weather mats to keep the car looking clean.

Best choice for snow (For most people)

by 4wheeldog from Tijeras NM | July 21, 2013

I have owned this car for 16 months and 45k miles. It has been faultless, totally reliable. It gets slightly better mileage than its rating (29 in the winter, 30+ in the summer average.......Up to 32 on trips.) It is as good as it gets in snow. The car this one replaces is 4wd 4runner. The 4runner cannot go anyplace on road that the Outback cannot. It is very comfy for long trips. I have a number of 800 mile days logged in this car. Plus, it is very comfy for 4, going out to dinner or whatever. They are so common in the East Mountains of NM that I quite often find myself parked next to an identical one.

I'm Attached...Amazing Car

by PneuSubOwner from | July 17, 2013

I just bought the 2012 Outback and am extremely impressed with how it handles. I needed a new utility car that would be spacious enough for all my gear but sporty enough that I felt fast and compact (I'm an athlete). The Outback has great MPG and very trustworthy in sketchy driving conditions. Definitely one of the best cars someone could own who lives in an area where weather is unpredictable, or for someone who loves to travel and look good doing so. Looks small from the outside but extremely spacious inside.

Amazed

by Snow dog from NE Ohio | January 1, 2013

Traded our 2 year old full-sized pickup(Silverado) for the Outback based on friend's recommendation and test drive. We couldn't be happier. Unbelievably smooth, adequate power(2.5 w/CVT), and comfortable for kids. We really didn't need the full-size truck capabilities and the fuel economy was dismal. So far we consistently average 25MPG in mixed driving with just 700 miles on car. The appearance package option is very tastefully done and really accents the Outback. First snow was handled without a problem and performed flawlessly. Only negative is a slight learning curve with NAV and Bluetooth commands. Not as intuitive as other vehicles we have owned. Overall, I think we've found our new favorite car company! I now understand the faithful Subaru following.

Maintenance costs are terrible

by Ski instructor from Puyallup,Wa | December 18, 2012

To change a headlight bulb, requires removing several parts under the hood and THE BUMPER! With labor expect several hundred dollars, plus bulbs. Change them all or you'll do it again soon. Dont even consider using Subaru wipers, it'll cost you your paycheck

Not sure why everybody doesnt buy one...

by Haulin Helen from Glenview, IL | November 17, 2012

Incredibly smooth ride but rugged when needed; awesome reliability and flexibility; perfect for all-weather conditions; best value on the market