2012 Subaru Outback

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Excellent Customer Service!!

by Roger's Mom from Bethel, Alaska | February 4, 2014

I was searching for a vehicle and that's when I was introduced to Payless Car Sales in Anchorage. When I arrived I was greeted by several, pleasant staff members, all willing to answer my questions. I think that was a record time line for being able to get service, the answers and drive off the lot with the vehicle. If your looking for a vehicle and excellent customer service, without the hassle of the run a round, go see Payless Car Sales. Just can't say enough about my experience, you will feel the same.

Family car with room to spare

by Luv my subaru from Oklahoma | November 4, 2013

Overall, this is a fabulous car for our family of five. There is even room in the back for the dogs when they want a ride. I have a tall husband and this is the first car in a while he has not had to bend his head sideways to get in or felt that he was int he middle seat on the airplane when sitting in it. There is room for our regard care seat and our two older children in the back with space between everyone. I do not love the ivory interior but have scotch guarded it to help with that problem. The handling is like that of an SUV not a car as it was in the orders smallerr outbacks. But it handles well and feels solid on the road. One exterior feature I do not love is the ribbed look under the doors. These catch mud and so I have to be careful not to get it on my legs when I get in or out of the car as we live on a dirt road. Mileage wise it does Greta around 30 mpg. We have the premium with the all weather package and the warm seats are definitely a plus. Also I highly recommend adding the all weather mats to keep the car looking clean.

Best choice for snow (For most people)

by 4wheeldog from Tijeras NM | July 21, 2013

I have owned this car for 16 months and 45k miles. It has been faultless, totally reliable. It gets slightly better mileage than its rating (29 in the winter, 30+ in the summer average.......Up to 32 on trips.) It is as good as it gets in snow. The car this one replaces is 4wd 4runner. The 4runner cannot go anyplace on road that the Outback cannot. It is very comfy for long trips. I have a number of 800 mile days logged in this car. Plus, it is very comfy for 4, going out to dinner or whatever. They are so common in the East Mountains of NM that I quite often find myself parked next to an identical one.

I'm Attached...Amazing Car

by PneuSubOwner from | July 17, 2013

I just bought the 2012 Outback and am extremely impressed with how it handles. I needed a new utility car that would be spacious enough for all my gear but sporty enough that I felt fast and compact (I'm an athlete). The Outback has great MPG and very trustworthy in sketchy driving conditions. Definitely one of the best cars someone could own who lives in an area where weather is unpredictable, or for someone who loves to travel and look good doing so. Looks small from the outside but extremely spacious inside.

Amazed

by Snow dog from NE Ohio | January 1, 2013

Traded our 2 year old full-sized pickup(Silverado) for the Outback based on friend's recommendation and test drive. We couldn't be happier. Unbelievably smooth, adequate power(2.5 w/CVT), and comfortable for kids. We really didn't need the full-size truck capabilities and the fuel economy was dismal. So far we consistently average 25MPG in mixed driving with just 700 miles on car. The appearance package option is very tastefully done and really accents the Outback. First snow was handled without a problem and performed flawlessly. Only negative is a slight learning curve with NAV and Bluetooth commands. Not as intuitive as other vehicles we have owned. Overall, I think we've found our new favorite car company! I now understand the faithful Subaru following.

Maintenance costs are terrible

by Ski instructor from Puyallup,Wa | December 18, 2012

To change a headlight bulb, requires removing several parts under the hood and THE BUMPER! With labor expect several hundred dollars, plus bulbs. Change them all or you'll do it again soon. Dont even consider using Subaru wipers, it'll cost you your paycheck

Not sure why everybody doesnt buy one...

by Haulin Helen from Glenview, IL | November 17, 2012

Incredibly smooth ride but rugged when needed; awesome reliability and flexibility; perfect for all-weather conditions; best value on the market

Amazing car!

by Outdoor enthusiast from Utah | October 28, 2012

Best value for the money! Car is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts needing the reliability, safety, and performance in their car.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Not one thing to complain about!

by Subaru Convert from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada | October 14, 2012

Don't let anyone tell you that a Subaru is just for the old and slow. We live in Alberta, Canada, which means that we usually endure 6 months of snow, ice and cold. After spending another winter shovelling our way out of our street, we decided to look for a new 4-wheel drive to replace our reliable, but useless in snow, 06 Corolla. After extensive research we narrowed it down to 3 - the Subaru Outback, Acura RDX and Toyota Venza. Test drove all three and found both the Venza and RDX behind the Outback in styling, safety, mpg, comfort and last but not least- co$t. We purchased the 2012 2.5l Ltd model. Some might opt for the V-6 but we found that the "4-banger" has lots of power and gets a lot better gas milage(we averaged about 29mpg so far). Now, bring on winter and by the way, we are both in our late 60's but still travel a lot. Both our son and daughter are now considering Subarus for their respective families.

Above expecations

by Traveler from St. Louis | September 27, 2012

We have owned our new Outback for 6 weeks, and have already put 3000 miles on it. My wife and I choose to purchase because we both loved the styling and the extra room it has. Coming from owning a Mazda Protege5 the outback offered much more room, more power, AWD, and so much more. I was a bit worried about getting lower gas mileage, but boy have I been shocked. Durring out latest Trip a total of 1923 miles we got 30.3 mpg. Over all 3276 miles on the car now getting 29.5 mpg Wow thats above what I expected. We had driven for 12 hours straight and we were both vary comfortable the whole time. Gauges are in perfect distance while driving. Their are a few minor flaws such as seeing the wiper settings (blocked by the shifter paddles) quality of the basic sound system. The CVT transmission works great and is smooth during acleration. Although when the air condition is own and you slow down it is a bit jumpy. I must say the Outback's ride is smooth taking bumps in the road fantastic. Over all giving the car 5 stars for getting more out of it then we expected.