We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2013 Subaru Outback

2013 Subaru Outback
Subaru Outback 2013 shown

Information Coming Soon

Overall

I really wanted to love this car.

by GermanCarLover from Georgia | December 21, 2015

It is getting harder and harder to find (station) wagons in today's overcrowded CUV/SUV market. When my wife and I were looking for a larger replacement to a Jetta Sportwagen TDI, a car we had loved, the options were limited. Cars considered, Volvo V70 (been there done that) Mercedes, Audi and BMW were all a bit out of our price range or too small from a back seat perspective. We decided on a 2012 Outback 3.6R Limited. Gosh we really loved the look of the car. Unfortunately it wasn't long after we took delivery that we realized that we didn't like much else about the car. 1) A roof rack that makes it difficult to rack kayaks and windsurfers. Required a rack on-top of the rack. 2) A Navigation and radio headunit that was difficult to use, sounded poor and took you out of your way to get lost. 3) Butt numbing seats (front and back) that make it difficult to take long journeys. 4) Cheap feeling materials all around. 5) Lastly a poor driving experience. Lots of body roll and poor ride quality. I don’t think of myself as a car snob but after owning a variety of vehicles I think I know what my wife and I like in a car. We like the driving dynamics of a car based vehicle, we've tried SUV's (4Runner, Pathfinder and Toureg) but find that cars handle better and usually get better mileage (the 3.6R does not). After thirteen months we traded the Subie for a VW Passat. It’s not a wagon but otherwise we are very happy with it. I’m sorry I found the vehicle so disappointing but transitioning from a German car to the Subie was a big letdown. If you care about driving dynamics, fit and finish and thoughtful functionality this is not the car for you. For many folks that think of a car as an appliance, you will likely love the Outback.

Really Disappointed in Car and Subaru Service

by wtouback from Ogden Utah | September 9, 2015

We Purchased our 2013 Outback when our beloved Montero died in Feb of 13. My wife wanted a more car like vehicle instead of an SUV again. We drove the car liked it and it worked great for us. At 1650 the Oil Light came on. Went to the dealer and they told us it was normal for that distance to consume a quart during break-in. First Time this happened. I normally check the car over every Sunday before the work week and noticed a small loss of oil level every week until it hit the add mark after 1200 miles. Back to the dealer, nope this is normal they tell. Oil Consumption Test was done and they said it was just inside the limit and no further action is needed. The consumes 1 qt every 1200 miles and will consume even more when operated at highway speeds 70 MPH or higher. It used an entire quart on a 778 mile round trip from Ogden to Boise. Not normal at all. Not so says the dealer, so if you drive the car it will use oil, if you drive it at highway speed, it will use a lot of oil. Not good for 2013 year vehicle. The CVT is acting up now, rattles and sometimes feels as if the Torque Converter is not doing it's job when stopping the car. The RPM will drop to almost 200 and the car almost stalls. Twice it has, dealer cleared C0046 Code and said it was related to the hot weather...Not happy with the car or Subaru Service or warranty back up at all. There is a class action lawsuit pertaining to Oil Consumption on the 2.5 Engine in the Outback. No recalls for any issues and Technical Service Bulletins basically have the service folks running you in circles until the warranty expires and you are driving a white cloud leaving car. Not happy with this at all.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Used 2013 Outback

by Poppy from Columbus, Ohio | October 22, 2014

We love this car! I'll buy another. Bought this used but Certified with 30k miles on it. Previous owner took excellent care of it. I love everything about it. It has the 4 cyl in it and I'm not concerned about it not being fast as we get better gas mileage in return.

good value for the money

by rob from Denver,CO | August 2, 2014

Nice wagon, great handling, good quality product. , lot of space inside,amazing in snow conditions.Overall the vehicle is solid.

Good for Most people

by Colorado Adventurer from Denver, Co | July 3, 2014

The 2013 Subaru Outback I owned was a very mixed bag. I got the four cylinder with the six speed manual transmission and with the premium package. The transmission was sloppy and the throws were terrible. The acceleration was very slow and the transmission was not fun to drive. I primarily got this vehicle for off-road use in the Colorado Rockies. I soon found out that the four cylinder's off-road prowess was mediocre at best. The tires would slip easily and the vehicle could not navigate over rocks. On the other hand, the seats were extremely comfortable and supportive. The heated cloth seats were warming in sub-zero temps in the Denver area. The back seat was very comfortable for trips as the seats could recline. The ride was smooth at any speed above 55 MPH. The controls were simple but I was not overwhelmed with technology. Also, the rain performance was great. I wrote this in past tense because I traded this car in a couple months ago for a 2014 Toyota 4runner because the Subaru got a flat tire on a simple dirt road. Overall, this car performed well for anyone looking for a car with mild off-road performance, comfort, and Japanese reliability. It just did not work for me.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

My 4th Subaru

by MH Tampa from Tampa, Fl | June 13, 2014

This is my 4th Subaru Outback (1998, 2001, 2012, then 2013). First thing is if I didn't love Subaru then I wouldn't have bought four of them. That being said I am a little nit picky about the finer details. Had a bluetooth problem with my 2012 and decided to trade it in on a 2013 while they were trying to fix it (for the 3rd time)! I have one huge annoyance with this vehicle. The calculated gas mileage that the computer displays is wrong. Hear me out. So let's say you drive 100 miles then get 4 gallons of gas (100/4) that's 25 mpg, however in this situation the computer might read 26.3 MPG. The exact # is always off by 1-2 mpg and it drives me nuts. I brought this up at the dealer and they were aware of it and said there was nothing they could do. I had the problem on both 2012 and 2013 models. The car is sturdy and handles great. The CVT takes a bit to get used to at slow speeds (i.e decelerating at slow speeds feels like you are going too slow in a manual shift car) , but once you get the feel of the car it's not an issue. When I'm on the highway going like 70 and I want to pass another car I switch to manual and down shift to 4th gear to get some extra power (I have the 4 cylinder version). The vehicle lacks that extra passing power at high speeds in automatic, but if you can handle a down shift and accelerate it's OK. It's actually fun too! I have dogs and the rear seat protectors on the '13 are great as the back of my '12 seats were loaded with dog hair! I will always own a Subaru (I forgave them for the wierd/ freaky/ useless cup holders on the '98). Truly great cars.

Very nice car

by So cool from Redding, ca | May 21, 2014

We bought our car in March 2013, we purchased all the bells and whistles. Love it. We now have 21,000 miles on it. Fuel mileage seems to get better every day. We get 26.5 town and 29-32 highway. We added a little more tint to the front windows to help with the sun and now we are going to do the same to the sunroof. we haul all kinds of things it. Next purchase will be kayak racks for the top, can't wait.

Best Bang For The Buck

by One Year Owner from Bean Station, Tennessee | April 26, 2014

We've put on about 18,000 miles on our 2013 Subaru Outback with CVT, 4 cylinder. The CVT works like a dream in the mountains of Tennessee. Regular automatics we had in the past were always up and down shifting and very annoying. You set the cruise with the CVT and the only thing you notice is the changes of rpms if you look at the tachometer. The 4 cylinder has plenty of pep for passing if your not afraid to nail the throttle and let it wind out. Our MPG has always been 25 in town and 30 on the highway driving with a light foot and smooth steady acceleration. It is also very important to us to have AWD and good ground clearance because of a very steep driveway. By the way I'm 6'4" and 300lbs. and have no issues with interior room. We couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle. Remember this is a perfect everyday vehicle. If I want performance I drive my 07 Mustang GT.

New Owner of "Used" Outback

by Recent Purchaser from Louisville, KY | April 24, 2014

Just 10 days ago I bought a 2013 Subaru Outback Ltd with only 10,000 miles on it. It's like a brand new car, and so far so good. I'm enjoying it very much. It's too soon for me to have tested the mileage but I love driving the car. The only thing I wish it had, that it doesn't, is the navigation package and an auto-open and auto-close of the rear tailgate. I believe I paid a fair price and look forward to having this car for many years. I decided on this car because a good friend has one and she raves about it!

6 Cylinder Outback

by Florida Driving from South Florida | April 6, 2014

I opted for the 6 cylinder since I drive a lot of highway miles on I-95 up and down the east coast of Florida. This car has delivered and has met or exceeded my expectations. I get about 26 mpg with average highway speed of 78 mph. Plus I get the added zip only a 6 cylinder can deliver. Prior to this car, I had a 4 cylinder Hyundai Tucson that only got 23 mpg on the highway. The all wheel drive provides additional stability in torrential Florida rains. I really do love this car. I recommend upgrading to the 6 cylinder model if you drive a lot of highway miles.