2013 Subaru Outback

See Photos & Videos

Overall

6 Cylinder Outback

by Florida Driving from South Florida | April 6, 2014

I opted for the 6 cylinder since I drive a lot of highway miles on I-95 up and down the east coast of Florida. This car has delivered and has met or exceeded my expectations. I get about 26 mpg with average highway speed of 78 mph. Plus I get the added zip only a 6 cylinder can deliver. Prior to this car, I had a 4 cylinder Hyundai Tucson that only got 23 mpg on the highway. The all wheel drive provides additional stability in torrential Florida rains. I really do love this car. I recommend upgrading to the 6 cylinder model if you drive a lot of highway miles.

Safest Car I've Owned

by Practical Car Owner from Danville, VA | March 11, 2014

Subaru Outback is a smart looking station wagon with SUV capabilities. This is my 2nd 2013 Outback Limited. The first one was totaled in an accident when I lost control of car due to unexpected curve in icy snow conditions. Car flipped over and went into a ravine. I walked out without a scratch and never suffered with any ailments afterwards. Needless to say I purchased another. Performance is average in that it doesn't have a lot of pep but horsepower is adequate for my needs. Steering is excellent, tight turning radius for a vehicle of this size. Gas mileage is excellent, though I only get about 28 mpg on highway in hilly terrain averaging 65 mph. The manual mode shift paddles are handy in snow. The car is roomy and very comfortable for adults in back seat with plenty of head room. I recommend the Limited trim, more stylish interior with simulated wood grain trim, leather seats and premium 9 speaker sound system. I enjoy the technology and make use of the Bluetooth interface and iPod connections. You can select your playlists, albums and songs right from the Subaru audio controls for you iPod.. Great car. It saved my life.

Trading soon

by peewee from Iowa | February 24, 2014

This is our first Subaru. Its a 2012 Outback with the wildly underpowered 4 cyl, mated to the CVT. The car comes with paddle shifters, so you can wake the thing up if you need to excelerate. It seems to wonder back and forth on the hwy, to a point where if you are not paying attention you'll be close to changing lanes. It also is quite bouncy over slight a rise and fall in the road. Gauges are a bit silly. I dont need a full size tachometer with a four cyl connected to a cvt. And the fuel economy gauge is really lame. Guess what when you step on the throttle the economy goes down! What a concept. The well known all wheel drive is truly amazing. In the snow (iowa) this is flat out the best car/'truck I've every driven. That said we dont need that but a few days out of the winter so although very nice, it fails to offset the cars short falls in other areas. BY FAR my single biggest complaint is the nav/audio system. Absolutely the worst ever. Cant wait to get on to a different make.

First time Subaru buyers BEWARE!!!

by Disappointed Subaru Owner from Seattle, WA | February 20, 2014

I could literally be copying Magoo from Chicago's review. Severe issues with CVT. Delayed acceleration - this one is a big safety issue in my book. If you go on forums other people have experienced these two as well. Quirky random issues with moonroof, heater, hill assist, gauges. Only thing that does work properly is the bluetooth and stereo even though setup requires lengthy voice recognition menus to do simple things like changing the phone paired. Purchased in June '13, have been in the service center three times and have engaged SOA customer support. Let's just put it this way less than stellar. And good luck getting it in for service in a timely manner. Like previous visit, my next visit is over two weeks out. Even the online service history record is incomplete First visit never recorded. Second and third visits incomplete and missing details. Service = Other? Seriously?

Great car

by Dickeast from 98248 | January 20, 2014

It has all the bells and whistles we were looking for except automatic locking/unlocking when shifting into or out of PARK

Best 4 x 4 I have ever owned

by On the road again from Mill Valley, California | January 7, 2014

I have owned a 2013 Subaru Outback for one year now and have been totally pleased. It has been over 45 years since I owned a 4 cylinder and was very hesitate about buying one since I spend so much time in the mountains with a full load. Although not going to win any races and feel like a soccer mom driving it power is sufficient. I just returned from an Elk hunt is Utah and drove 75-80 mph across Nevada and Utah and average 30.2 mpg. I had to drive on a unplowed snow covered dirt road to camp and shocked everyone including myself by making it without chaining up. This car gets better traction than all my other 4 x4 that I have owned over the years a real sleeper off road for sure and not talked about much. The only drawback is all the heat I take from my buddies since it doesn't have a gun rack, have 4 gas cans strapped to the side, and sit 4 ft off the ground. He, He.

Uses car for Off-roading

Solid transportation

by fmstation from Atlanta, GA | January 2, 2014

I have owned this car now for over 1 year (2013 2.5 Limited). I cannot get over how useful and durable the Outback has been without 1 single issue. I am a long time Mercedes Benz S class owner so, when I say this outback rides smooth, I know what I am talking about. It has descent power and it's just a wonderfully useful/practical, economical, and reliable car.

Don't buy a 2013 Outback

by Magoo from Chicago | December 29, 2013

We bought a 2013 Subaru Outback 6 months ago. We are incredibly disappointed. The Outback uses a CVT (continuously variable transmission). It is terrible. It accelerates very poorly, lurches, and is slow off the gate. Read professional reviews thoroughly and they will reference the CVT. Additionally, the car handles very poorly. It is a very manual driving experience, overly sensitive to turns, and poor on the highway. We are trading our Outback in for a different car. Do not buy this car. It shocks me that all of these other brainwashed Subaru owners are recognizing this cars shortcomings.

# 2 Subaru

by Bill from Wisconsin from Wisconsin | October 22, 2013

I can't say enough good remarks about our new Outback. We just took a 2000 mile vacation with four adults in the car plus our luggage and we averaged over 30 miles per gallon. The ride was very comfortable. The car handled hills and curves with ease and easily kept up with turnpike speeds. Great car. This is our second Subaru. I won't buy any other make.

Another reliable Subaru

by Sir Osceolot from Orange City, FL | September 29, 2013

We have had our New Outback for about a month now. It is a delight to drive due to the lack of road noise, It is extremely quiet and seems to slide over bumps without the grumble and grunts as my former car did. We were surprised at how quiet the ride was when we test drove it. The car is also cooler than my former, black car. The Outback is green. The suspension is perfect, creating a smooth and quiet ride. I Appreciate the attention to detail that makes the Outback a safe and comfortable car.