2013 Subaru Outback

2013 Subaru Outback
Available in 5 styles:  2013 Subaru Outback 4dr AWD Wagon shown
Starting MSRP

Overall

good value for the money

by rob from Denver,CO | August 2, 2014

Nice wagon, great handling, good quality product. , lot of space inside,amazing in snow conditions.Overall the vehicle is solid.

Good for Most people

by Colorado Adventurer from Denver, Co | July 3, 2014

The 2013 Subaru Outback I owned was a very mixed bag. I got the four cylinder with the six speed manual transmission and with the premium package. The transmission was sloppy and the throws were terrible. The acceleration was very slow and the transmission was not fun to drive. I primarily got this vehicle for off-road use in the Colorado Rockies. I soon found out that the four cylinder's off-road prowess was mediocre at best. The tires would slip easily and the vehicle could not navigate over rocks. On the other hand, the seats were extremely comfortable and supportive. The heated cloth seats were warming in sub-zero temps in the Denver area. The back seat was very comfortable for trips as the seats could recline. The ride was smooth at any speed above 55 MPH. The controls were simple but I was not overwhelmed with technology. Also, the rain performance was great. I wrote this in past tense because I traded this car in a couple months ago for a 2014 Toyota 4runner because the Subaru got a flat tire on a simple dirt road. Overall, this car performed well for anyone looking for a car with mild off-road performance, comfort, and Japanese reliability. It just did not work for me.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

My 4th Subaru

by MH Tampa from Tampa, Fl | June 13, 2014

This is my 4th Subaru Outback (1998, 2001, 2012, then 2013). First thing is if I didn't love Subaru then I wouldn't have bought four of them. That being said I am a little nit picky about the finer details. Had a bluetooth problem with my 2012 and decided to trade it in on a 2013 while they were trying to fix it (for the 3rd time)! I have one huge annoyance with this vehicle. The calculated gas mileage that the computer displays is wrong. Hear me out. So let's say you drive 100 miles then get 4 gallons of gas (100/4) that's 25 mpg, however in this situation the computer might read 26.3 MPG. The exact # is always off by 1-2 mpg and it drives me nuts. I brought this up at the dealer and they were aware of it and said there was nothing they could do. I had the problem on both 2012 and 2013 models. The car is sturdy and handles great. The CVT takes a bit to get used to at slow speeds (i.e decelerating at slow speeds feels like you are going too slow in a manual shift car) , but once you get the feel of the car it's not an issue. When I'm on the highway going like 70 and I want to pass another car I switch to manual and down shift to 4th gear to get some extra power (I have the 4 cylinder version). The vehicle lacks that extra passing power at high speeds in automatic, but if you can handle a down shift and accelerate it's OK. It's actually fun too! I have dogs and the rear seat protectors on the '13 are great as the back of my '12 seats were loaded with dog hair! I will always own a Subaru (I forgave them for the wierd/ freaky/ useless cup holders on the '98). Truly great cars.

Very nice car

by So cool from Redding, ca | May 21, 2014

We bought our car in March 2013, we purchased all the bells and whistles. Love it. We now have 21,000 miles on it. Fuel mileage seems to get better every day. We get 26.5 town and 29-32 highway. We added a little more tint to the front windows to help with the sun and now we are going to do the same to the sunroof. we haul all kinds of things it. Next purchase will be kayak racks for the top, can't wait.

Best Bang For The Buck

by One Year Owner from Bean Station, Tennessee | April 26, 2014

We've put on about 18,000 miles on our 2013 Subaru Outback with CVT, 4 cylinder. The CVT works like a dream in the mountains of Tennessee. Regular automatics we had in the past were always up and down shifting and very annoying. You set the cruise with the CVT and the only thing you notice is the changes of rpms if you look at the tachometer. The 4 cylinder has plenty of pep for passing if your not afraid to nail the throttle and let it wind out. Our MPG has always been 25 in town and 30 on the highway driving with a light foot and smooth steady acceleration. It is also very important to us to have AWD and good ground clearance because of a very steep driveway. By the way I'm 6'4" and 300lbs. and have no issues with interior room. We couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle. Remember this is a perfect everyday vehicle. If I want performance I drive my 07 Mustang GT.

New Owner of "Used" Outback

by Recent Purchaser from Louisville, KY | April 24, 2014

Just 10 days ago I bought a 2013 Subaru Outback Ltd with only 10,000 miles on it. It's like a brand new car, and so far so good. I'm enjoying it very much. It's too soon for me to have tested the mileage but I love driving the car. The only thing I wish it had, that it doesn't, is the navigation package and an auto-open and auto-close of the rear tailgate. I believe I paid a fair price and look forward to having this car for many years. I decided on this car because a good friend has one and she raves about it!

6 Cylinder Outback

by Florida Driving from South Florida | April 6, 2014

I opted for the 6 cylinder since I drive a lot of highway miles on I-95 up and down the east coast of Florida. This car has delivered and has met or exceeded my expectations. I get about 26 mpg with average highway speed of 78 mph. Plus I get the added zip only a 6 cylinder can deliver. Prior to this car, I had a 4 cylinder Hyundai Tucson that only got 23 mpg on the highway. The all wheel drive provides additional stability in torrential Florida rains. I really do love this car. I recommend upgrading to the 6 cylinder model if you drive a lot of highway miles.

Safest Car I've Owned

by Practical Car Owner from Danville, VA | March 11, 2014

Subaru Outback is a smart looking station wagon with SUV capabilities. This is my 2nd 2013 Outback Limited. The first one was totaled in an accident when I lost control of car due to unexpected curve in icy snow conditions. Car flipped over and went into a ravine. I walked out without a scratch and never suffered with any ailments afterwards. Needless to say I purchased another. Performance is average in that it doesn't have a lot of pep but horsepower is adequate for my needs. Steering is excellent, tight turning radius for a vehicle of this size. Gas mileage is excellent, though I only get about 28 mpg on highway in hilly terrain averaging 65 mph. The manual mode shift paddles are handy in snow. The car is roomy and very comfortable for adults in back seat with plenty of head room. I recommend the Limited trim, more stylish interior with simulated wood grain trim, leather seats and premium 9 speaker sound system. I enjoy the technology and make use of the Bluetooth interface and iPod connections. You can select your playlists, albums and songs right from the Subaru audio controls for you iPod.. Great car. It saved my life.

Trading soon

by peewee from Iowa | February 24, 2014

This is our first Subaru. Its a 2012 Outback with the wildly underpowered 4 cyl, mated to the CVT. The car comes with paddle shifters, so you can wake the thing up if you need to excelerate. It seems to wonder back and forth on the hwy, to a point where if you are not paying attention you'll be close to changing lanes. It also is quite bouncy over slight a rise and fall in the road. Gauges are a bit silly. I dont need a full size tachometer with a four cyl connected to a cvt. And the fuel economy gauge is really lame. Guess what when you step on the throttle the economy goes down! What a concept. The well known all wheel drive is truly amazing. In the snow (iowa) this is flat out the best car/'truck I've every driven. That said we dont need that but a few days out of the winter so although very nice, it fails to offset the cars short falls in other areas. BY FAR my single biggest complaint is the nav/audio system. Absolutely the worst ever. Cant wait to get on to a different make.

First time Subaru buyers BEWARE!!!

by Disappointed Subaru Owner from Seattle, WA | February 20, 2014

I could literally be copying Magoo from Chicago's review. Severe issues with CVT. Delayed acceleration - this one is a big safety issue in my book. If you go on forums other people have experienced these two as well. Quirky random issues with moonroof, heater, hill assist, gauges. Only thing that does work properly is the bluetooth and stereo even though setup requires lengthy voice recognition menus to do simple things like changing the phone paired. Purchased in June '13, have been in the service center three times and have engaged SOA customer support. Let's just put it this way less than stellar. And good luck getting it in for service in a timely manner. Like previous visit, my next visit is over two weeks out. Even the online service history record is incomplete First visit never recorded. Second and third visits incomplete and missing details. Service = Other? Seriously?