2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara

19 city / 21–22 hwy

Overall

Took every think I threw at it ^_^

by Driver of Suzuka the Deer Slayer from Amery, WI | February 10, 2011

My parents originally bought this car new and I can remember going everywhere in it. The only mechanical problem its ever had was inflicted by my father by overfilling the AC. I bought the car from them when I was 17 at 111,000 miles. I drove the thing like a boss and just cranked the RPMs on like it didn't matter. Just tore up the road. Currently has 137,000 and still purrs like a kitten. Now on to the good part... This car has survived 6 ditches, 2 deer, and a flip. Being in Wisconsin and my mother not being the best driver in the snow, she managed to put it into the ditch 4 times herself and it was always able to get out without a tow. 6 and 8 foot ditches keep in mind. After all that and many years of service, she plowed a 12 point buck at 45 MPH head on. The only think mechanical wise that got torn up was the radiator hose got cut by the fan shroud. ONLY THING. So it sat for a year while I fixed it up. New hood, new hose, and pulled the crumple zones out with a wench. I put it in the ditch twice cause I was learning to drive in the winter and I got it out both times on my own. One day in the middle of summer I ran over a deer carcass on the road. It was gross and it was a clean up job cause I actually ran it over. Nothing happened except its antlers popped a tire. Then just a few weeks ago I was forced to swerve around something that fell out of the back of a semi, and lost control because of the road not being plowed yet. Crossed the center line and did a front flip and landed on the roof... in the ditch. It wasn't just a roll, because I went from 30mph to on the roof in a second. There was no front end damage and all the windows are intact save the windshield. That car had the entire weight of itself land on the roof from an 8 foot drop going 30 mph, and the front top corner got smooshed in. I walked away from the accident and thank my Grand Vitara for that. Oh and also, if it wasn't for the broken windshield, I would have driven home. I'm just might use a wench to pull out the top and get a new windshield, just cause I can. So all and all just as the title says, this thing took every little bit of beating and is still ready for more.

Zero problems and now have 75,000 miles on it

by Sad to sell it from Colorado | June 12, 2009

Bought this car new right after graduating from college. Initially, I was hesitant to buy a Suzuki but was drawn to it purely for the very reasonable sticker price. Once I test drove it, I realized the GV offers many of the ammenities of much more expensive small SUV's without the cost. Now, 9 years and 75,000 miles later, I am preparing to trade it in for a larger vehicle for my growning family. I've gotten regular oil changes on it and new tires but otherwise it has required no other work. It has been a comfortable, 100% dependable car that I would strongly recommend to anyone looking for a small SUV.

Love it!

by just me from | June 8, 2009

My daughter bought her GV brand new in 2000. She put 52,000 miles on it the first year, and when she lost her job, couldn't afford it, so I took it over. I don't drive nearly as much as she does.. I've only put on 20,000 miles in the past 8 years, and other than changing the oil, I've invested very little in the car, other than keeping her clean and shiny. I love it, would recommend it, and will buy another one when the time comes.

Great SUV

by Zuk Owner from Indianapolis, IN | December 20, 2008

We have 2. A 2000 and a 2005. Both have been very reliable. We traded a 2000 in on the 2005. All three have held up very well. Run great in snow too!

The Best Compact SUV for the Price.

by Kiba Shiba from Rosemead CA | May 1, 2008

Got this Car since 36k miles, I added 30k. Took me 6 months to find a decent equipped package, luckily after a few month I gave up looking, Got this Lovely Limited Edition with All the Options. Never had a single problem. Nothing from this car ever failed me. And all I do for it is changing oil regularly, Believe it or not, this engine and transmission will last forever, Silky smooth(dead silence at idle and highway) engine even at 66k miles with well maintained all stock. I don't know why those reviewers said engine fail, did you well maintained?

I loved this truck at first

by SUV lover from Buffalo, NY | December 20, 2007

I had this truck for 5 year. I love this truck the first four year I had it. It started having problems when it reached 75,000 miles. It was going to cost me about $3000 to fix all the problems it had. My mechanic advised that I should trade it in asap. The truck engine completely die as soon as I got to my car dealership parking lot. The previous day a young salesman value my truck at $5800 without test driving it. All other dealerships wanted to give me $1000. I flew out of the dealership as soon as I got the keys for my new truck.

Diappointing Experience with this car

by Boots from El Paso, Texas | November 10, 2007

Had problem with differential at 30,000 miles/ Had major engine problem at 40,000 miles. Cam tensioner failed. $900. repair cost. Suzuki refused any good will remedy or help.Will NEVER buy or recommend Suzuki vehicles to anyone I know.

Featured Services for this Suzuki Grand Vitara