1996 Suzuki Swift

39 city / 43 hwy

Overall

Bullet proof little car

by Mr. Fuel Economy from Colorado Springs, CO | September 20, 2012

I bought my '96 1.3 liter 4 cylinder 5 speed shift Suzuki Swift used with 182,000 miles on the odometer. The car was filthy inside and haphazardly maintained, but at $700 I figured I could put in some sweat equity. I bought the car, cleaned it up and replaced all fluids / filters. Now, 3 years later and with 42,000 miles additional for a total today of 224,000 miles I am well pleased. At 17 years old and nearly a quarter million miles the suspension and steering are tight and proper. The car uses no oil between my 3,500 mile oil change intervals and has given me no breakdowns whatsoever. People abuse these disposable little cars and yet you see them everywhere. I am a careful economy minded driver and get mid-50s MPG tank after tank, better mileage than my motorcycle delivers! What do I not like? Road noise is high and acceleration is modest. Keep the weight down in the car (take your junk out of the back now and then) and it accelerates okay. Other than routine maintenance, I've had no repairs needed on the car these past 3 years even though this car was not loved before I bought it. The '96 Suzuki Swift / Geo is a solid, unpretentious super economical little commuter. With a little care, who knows how long it will last! I recommend this car to anyone that enjoys real value in a used car and likes to save money as well.

Featured Services for this Suzuki Swift