2008 Suzuki XL7

15–16 city / 22 hwy

Overall

No major issues here

by Jenn from Colorado Springs, CO | June 2, 2014

I've had my XL-7 for almost 4 years now, no major issues. Great on gas for an SUV that carries 7 people, we only had to make 4 gas stops on a trip about 1000 miles (still had 1/2 tank once we hit our final destination). Smooth ride. This vehicle hasn't let me down yet...compared to our old Ford Focus that was constantly breaking down. The only downside I've seen to this is the blind spots (which I'm used to after driving it for so long and know how to adjust my mirrors to alleviate them), no rear view camera (hard to see tail-gaters and smaller cars when backing up, ugh!), and that it makes really wide turns which makes for flipping "U-ies" a little difficult. Other than that, great vehicle! Took a hit due to bad road conditions, it was fixed pretty quickly and good as new!

35,000 mile review

by Love my 2008 XL7 from Chicago | January 26, 2013

"LOVED IT!! I bought mine used 33 months ago with 16k miles on it; 2008 FWD with the Luxury package that came standard with leather, heated seats(really nice when it was cold), 6 cd changer, and a moon roof. It's a Really a great vehicle! For full disclosure here I did just trade it for a new vehicle. I was averaging 20.5 mpg (100% city driving 6.6 miles one way to work barely enough time to warm up the engine ). We took a 3000 mile road tip to Tampa FL and back traveling at an average of 65mph we got 29 mpg. Yeah, I wasn't really passing anybody... I regularly saw 32 mpg on the HWY when traveling at 60 mph - 100 mile road tips to Michigan. Tons of room never cramped, all the gear fit easily in the back where it belongs (50cu ft behind the 2nd row). The ride was great "sooooth", and really quite. Engine power was very satisfying felt a lot stronger than the 252 hp that Suzuki is claiming. It was always way to easy to go fast, I had to make a conscious effort to drive with restraint. The handling was ok, but its no sports car, weight of 4000 lb doesn't help any. The turning radius was not great 42 ft - doesn't sound so bad, until you need to do a U turn, or maneuver in a tight parking lot. I had a few warranty issues, the chrome door handle started to peal, rear tail light had a water condensation issue, and the electric rear hatch release switch quit working... all replaced under warranty. That's the good, now the bad... oil consumption (1qt per 2000 miles) per the dealer that was within normal tolerance. No Oil stains on the drive way, so out the tail pipe I guess. However the XL7 has a oil change meter in the on board trip computer - it would display in percent (starting at 100%) how long you have until your next oil change. It's really a nice feature - my oil change intervals were 6k to 10k miles (with still 25% left on the tip computer). And then there was an odd engine vibration/ rough running at 1100 rpm at warm up, which was more pronounced the colder the outside temperature. Not so much that it was a problem per say but it was definitely unsettling. I did find few online forums where owners had issues with the timing chain on this model and had to have them replaced - not cheap. There was mention in a few case of an odd engine vibration. Even though I still had over 48k miles left on the 7 year, 100k mile warranty, my gut told me it was time for a change. Although I didn't necessarily "need" to get rid of mine, I'm not sure if the issue I was experiencing were indicative of potential future issues. If you are considering buying a Suzuki XL7 make sure a mechanic take a very close look at the engine. I will say that if I found a "NEW" 08 XL7 FWD Luxury package with the 7 passenger option, I would still consider it. I really do think the XL7 is a truly great car. I hope this review helps you make an informed decision.

Great family vehicle

by Suzuki Owner from San Antonio, TX | October 6, 2012

I've owned my XL7 for 3 years and I love it. It's very comfortable, it has a roomy interior, and it handles like a car, so the driving performance is great too. I have the luxury version so it also have beautiful leather seats that have held up very well. I really can't think of anything negative about this vehicle.

Luxury at a discount!

by Sports Mom! from Pittsburgh, PA | September 1, 2012

I love my XL7 for many reasons. It's a midsize suv with full size benefits. I can transport 7 passengers and with eaze I can transport small furniture and my Costco groceries. The leather is very soft and seats are comfortable. The sun roof is awesome on sunny days. It handles nicely on the highway and in town. The engine is quiet. My 16 year old says it is easy to drive and I enjoy driving it!

Parts are IMPOSSIBLE TO GET

by Parts are IMPOSSIBLE TO GET from Connecticut | March 23, 2012

Bought this vehicle 3 years ago with 9k on it. My wife was involved in a minor accident a few years ago. Getting parts for this truck from Canada/Mexico took forever. For a 2008, this truck only has 38k on it but the tire sensors are going haywire & the tailgate release button does not work. The dealer wanted over $500 for the tailgate button. Are they serious? It HAD a 26k bumper to bumper. I arrived at the dealer about 1k over the 36,000 and they wouldn't assist. I have found numerous XL7's with the same tailgate electronic latch problem but Suzuki won't issue a recall for the switch yet. Frankly, the vehicle drives nicely given its size. But I wouldn't buy Suzuki any time soon given the lack of customer support. I've owned a Suzuki SX4 (great little car), Suzuki SX AWD Wagon (powerful little wagon but cheap interior), Suzuki Samurai (we all know these fun, weak engines ALSO fall apart), and the XL7. My views, consider other manufacturers!!!

love my 2008 suzuki

by love my suzuki 2008 from kansas | April 19, 2011

I bought my suzuki new at a dealer and have never had a thing go wrong with it. It is always ready for me and I would buy this car for my kids too. I love it.

great for kids lots of them

by Ddog from Niles, MI | March 24, 2011

IF you have 5 kids its great. There's only one problem with this. Car and it gas other than that its awsome...

1st 1k miles

by Love my 2008 XL7 from Chicago | March 31, 2010

LOVE IT!! I got mine used; 2008 FWD with the Luxury package that came standard with leather, heated seats, 6 cd changer, and a moon roof!! The leather seats are great!, soooo comfortable, I never would have even considered getting leather, but now that I have it I love it! At a quick glance it has a very luxurious interior, but if you look closely it’s a little cheap, the doors don't quite shut with the same sold feel as they do on our Toyota Venza. But that’s OK, I stayed in budget and got all the really nice toys too. The ride is really good, firm and controlled almost sporty, it's also surprisingly quite. Passenger space very good even in the 2nd row bench is roomy with plenty of leg room for real sized adults. And cargo space is enormous at 50 cu ft behind the 2nd row, it has nearly twice the cargo space than our Venza! I'm very happy after the 1st 1k miles, currently getting 23.7 mpg avg in mixed driving. I even saw 33.0 mpg on the HWY driving at a steady 55 mph! There's plenty of power too from the V6 (252HP), 0 to 60mph is about 8 second, more than fast enough, puts you back in your seat when you really step on the gas! Overall you just can't beat the XL7 for a mid sized SUV it has a very usable & luxurious interior the front passenger seat even fold flat for extra long items (9ft long!), and best part a 7 yr 100K mile warranty!! The exterior has a "unique" look with those cool headlights. What a great car, very happy with it so far.

Amazing Car, it gets better and better

by Paul a convert to Suzuki from Grosse Pointe, MI | February 24, 2010

When I drove this car the first time, I couldn't believe how well it sailed down the road. Smooth, strong, and comfortable. An absolutely great car, I have put 20,000 miles in 9 mos. and only had one minor problem with a window switch, immediately fixed by dealer, and nothing else. Not making this car anymore is a real mistake!

One Nice Ride

by Billy from KOP, PA | February 9, 2010

I purchased this vehicle for my wife. I have a new Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer and prefer my wifes 2008 Suzuki XL7 more than my own truck. I got her the Limited edition, with all the luxury equipment. Three rows of leather seats. Love the heated seats! I only wish I bought myself one, instead of the Ford.. UGh!

Featured Services for this Suzuki XL7