1997 Toyota 4Runner

1997 Toyota 4Runner

Available in 6 styles:  4Runner SR5 shown

16.1–19 city / 19–23 hwy

Overall

Toyota is the best SUV I have driven and owned.

by sam from Quincy, Il | August 4, 2014

I have owned three different 4Runner Toyotas within 25 years. Never had a problem with any of them. The Toyota salespeople like to see me when I go in to sell my car and buy a new one. All of my 4Runners were in excellent condition, look like new and had low mileage on each one when it was time to trade it in for a new 4Runner.

Worst purchase I've ever made

by New Car Smell from Orange, Ca | April 8, 2014

I can honestly say this was the worst purchase I've ever made. I'd have been better off buying a used car. The thing is so cheaply made it's amazing how much they charge for these. After just 13k miles the interior already looked like a used plastic stereo from the 90's. The computer doesn't work properly and no matter how many times they reprogram it the engine doesn't feel right.

Older 4Runners rock!

by Avacado2go from Ashland, Oregon | March 14, 2014

I purchased my 4Runner new in 1996 and it's been running great for the last 18 years. It has never let me down through all kinds of terrain and weather. Even the white paint looks new after all these years. I've driven the Runner on two cross-country trips with a third scheduled this year. Total cost of ownership is going down with each passing year and I will never sell this SUV.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

2002 corolla

by David Essex from Deep river Connecticut | January 12, 2014

Just got this car for my daughter from a neighbor. Drove it for an hour and everything worked fine. Had heard these models use oil, checked on after running and no smoke, tailpipe was clean and emissions ct was recent. Like all cars if not maintained they start going downhill.

571000 km and still going...

by 4Runner Marthoner from | June 17, 2013

Bought the 1997 4Runner 2.7l, 4 cylinder, manual, new off the lot 16 yrs ago and drove it to the moon and back. It never gave up on me and I never gave up on it. The first clutch lasted 320,000 km and the second is still going. Valves have finally worn out after 571,000km. May the parts live on in one of your 'Runners!

Best vehicle I've ever owned

by CruiserGuy from SE Massachusetts | February 3, 2013

I bought my truck with 79k miles and piled on another 170k in the next 7 years before I developed engine problems caused by a broken timing belt tensioner. I had a tough decision to make: Replace or repair? In the end, I could find nothing on the market that could touch the versatility and value that my truck represented and I opted for the repair (I found a replacement engine with 86k verified miles!). IMHO, this truck is the perfect blend of comfort, versatility, toughness and go-anywhere-fun. Now, if I could just move those dog-gone cup holders!

Older 4 Runner is Amazing!

by DEE from Los Angeles, cA | February 2, 2013

Not sure about the newer models but I had a 1998 and I would take it anything I threw at it and kept on ticking. I had it for 5 years and it never let me down. I did a lot of trip between LA and Seattle. This amazing suv was sold to my best friend in 2003. He is still driving now as of 2013. The only major incident was the radiator blew because he never care to check coolant level or do regular oil change.

Mission in Africa

by TJ from UN Headquarters, New york | December 19, 2012

This car was given to me as a duty car by the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations when i served in the mission in Eritrea. I drove it for two years through very difficult mountainous terrain crossing the border between Ethiopia and Eritrea, often at 7500 feet in the mountains. Road handling is fantastic and i never experienced a breakdown. Acceleration made me feel like i could disappear in a cloud of dust if the rebels ever decided to chase..... . My present 2010 SUV from a rival maker is like plastic compared to this. Great piece of equipment

BEST VEHICHLE ON THE ROAD

by crazy over my 4runner from Frankfort, Ky | November 10, 2012

Have owned our 4runner since 1999. Love to drive it. Seems like part of our family. Great style, condition,looks great. Many people give the 4r the eye when on the street. Several people want to buy it. Right now, not for sale..I used it mainly for my business but if I need too drive it privately, no others thoughts about jumping in and drive off. Plus, we are Toyota family, we own a 2-tundra"s, 4runner and highlander. They all are great!! Best vehicles on the road and very reliable.

Great!

by MDOMINIC from Jackson Heights, NY | April 15, 2011

I had a 1996 4Runner and sold it a few years ago. I missed it so when I totaled the awful Saturn Ion that I inherited I decided to get another 4Runner. I found an amazing green 1997 with 117k miles (April 2011) for $5500. It looks and runs like a new car. I love everything about it.

Featured Services for this Toyota 4Runner