1998 Toyota 4Runner

1998 Toyota 4Runner

Available in 6 styles:  4Runner Base shown

Overall

4Running Around Anywhere; best SUV Ever!

by Ladywithafan from Sarasota, FL | May 7, 2014

We started with a 1998 SR5, then a 2001, 2002 & 2003. The 2002 & 2003 were the sport editions with the hoodscoop (loved them). I turned the 2003, which was the model change year back in on a 2000 the same year because it was a little bit more than I could handle at the time & I kept running over things ;). I"ve had my 2000 SR5 since October 2003; bought it with 70K miles & just about to hit 200,000 shortly (May 2014). I"ve had no major repairs; just brakes, tires, struts & finally, when my engine started to leak oil, I did everything under the hood that was required to be replaced (165K). This sweet SUV runs like a dream. I will drive it till it bites the dust & then get another one. I did have an issue with the oxygen sensor keeping the check engine light on (lights been on since 2006), but apparently that was a problem with this generation of 4Runners. No big deal, it's only a dummy light anyhow. My mechanic drives a 1988 4Runner so that just about sums it up. Excellent vehicle, reliable & safe!

the quintessential sport utility

by K.G. from Nebraska | July 27, 2012

This vehicle does everything well - from Weekend road trips to severe winter weather... I purchased it with 140k, expecting to dump some money into it... But there was nothing to repair or improve... (aside from the stereo) I am impressed by the quality each time I turn the key... The v6 is strong, and the drivetrain is solid... Every option works as it should (I can't say that for my 3 year old Chrysler)... It is a joy to drive on any surface... Even the fuel economy is better than I expected... On a 10 hour roadtrip I averaged 18.5... If you're looking at similar vehicles, buy the 4Runner... Also, I bought this to be a second vehicle, but it is now my primary... The Chrysler kind of just sits there all jealous like...

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Willy from San Carlos, CA | February 21, 2012

I've had my 1998 4Runner for 8 years and 125,000 miles and no other car has even come close. It holds everything, handles decently, gets good economy, and just doesn't break. I take it around town, on the interstate, and off road - flawlessly. Replacing it now as it nears 215,000 miles. I got an RDX to replace it; yeah guess my camping days are over. I wish it had a scosh more power but at least it has a frame - and a LOW range - nice. Talking myself out of selling it by writing this. Go ahead - try to talk down the price.

4Runners - run for 400000.0 miles

by Totally Toyota - from Windsor , WI | October 4, 2011

Rock solid" 4x4 transportation.We have hade 2 4Runners, 2000 SR5 V6 , 1998 Limited V6 . The 2000 had 2 wrecks , last one total it . The air bags deployed , and seat belts saved my Wife . My Wife walked away unharmed . We replaced it with the 1998 . It has 173000. miles and rides and runs better than the 2000 . You can't ask for a better mid size 4x4 . Get one today ! So dependable !

Best 4Runner Ever Made

by Toyota4Life from Dallas, TX | March 17, 2011

200,000 and this one is only getting warmed up. 300,000 miles is extremely probable and 400k is probable. Very low maint vehicle. 98 is the best looking model in my opinion.

Living with my 4 Runner

by Pilot BC from Houston, Reno | March 4, 2011

My 98 Toyota 4 Runner is one of the best cars I've ever owner. It's easy on gas - 20-23 on the highway at 65-70mph and is so very reliable. It rarely has any issues and when it does parts are plentiful and inexpensive. After 165,00 miles It still goes like a Champ! It tows, carry's loads, cruises, goes in snow and is fun in the summer when you open up the top. The electric rear window is a treat too.

'98 4Runner SR5--great, great vehicle.

by Dave loves his truck from Golden, CO | August 14, 2010

I bought my beloved 4Runner 5 years ago at 80K and have put almost 70K on it since. I have had ZERO issues with this vehicle, save for oil changes and routine maintenance (factory-scheduled overhaul at 120K and recent brakes--were original and still worked well!). I proactively put new shocks/struts on after buying it as I had a 3" body lift added to keep those running boards a bit up off the ground on some of the jeep trails here in Colorado. The lift just added to the incredible off-road capabilities of this thing. Even with the lift, the vehicle handles beautifully on the highway, tracks straight, corners well, and has none of the top-heavy feeling you can get from lesser-framed SUV's. I've used it for mixed driving typically and, with the addition of a K&N drop-in air filter, consistently get 19.5 mpg, with a bump to 21+mpg on highway trips. Not bad for an auto V-6 and nearly 5000lbs. The seats are comfortable and breathable (and easily cleaned), the back folds flat for camp-in-the-car excursions, and there's plenty of room inside for when you've gotta pack up your home and move. Easy to park in the city, too, with big mirrors for curb-checking and dimensions not so big you can't keep track of the corners like these monsters roaming suburbia today. Easily an overall 5-star vehicle. The only reasons I didn't put 5 for comfort is because, well, there are some REALLY comfortable seats out there, but these are still great for long hauls and bouncing on trails--never any "hot spots." The performance is just fine for a vehicle this size, maybe could be a notch higher (hence the '4' rating), but I live at 6200' elevation and regularly go above 8000', so I have to give some grace here as this would affect most any vehicle save for a big gas-guzzling V-8. The 'features' section gets a 4 only because I wish it came with a locking rear differential standard, but I'm probably dreaming here....plus it has done just fine w/o the locking rear on some pretty tough trails considering how smooth it is the rest of the time around town. If you're considering one of these trucks, look for a well-cared for example with good documentation and has had the oil changed regularly and odds are, you'll have it for 300K--which is my goal. Truly fantastic vehicles and unbeatable reliability in this category.

This has been a sweet ride!

by Omuchacha from Mpls, MN | April 1, 2009

I bought mine used about six years ago. I've put about 130,000 miles on it, so we're now approaching 200,000 miles with nary a hiccup. I did replace the sway bar link, and we've gone through some brakes, but that's to be expected especially when you USE your car like I do. It's been perfect for hauling my toddler safely through snow storms, going off to horse shows, and in city driving too. Small enough to fit in parking ramps, but big enough to fit 3 car seats in the back, plus luggage for a weekend at the cabin. It's a sweet ride.

Buy one if you need a good SUV only 4x4

by Sports car guy and only 4x4 if you Have a SUV from Olath, KS. | November 14, 2007

A little top heavy on the highway! Can go anywhere all the time! Little touchy on the brakes with alot of body forward shift. Excellent vehicle. Mine has ove 160,000 and just replaed the thermostat.

its my first car and its not bad

by Jeffrey from Oklahoma | August 24, 2007

I probably could pick a better automobile but me having no choice its not bad for a first car. I have the Inline-4 so its not the kind of power i expected but it gets me where i want to go. Its comfortable and it sits up high enough to clearly see the road. It gets decent MPG for a mid-sive SUV which is a big upside to the 4Runner. Overall its a good automobile.

Featured Services for this Toyota 4Runner