We've given this page a whole new look

View the new design

2003 Toyota 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner
Available in 12 styles:  2003 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 shown

Overall

there is no going back...

by oliver from Mexico | July 1, 2016

Once you own a 4runner, you realize why they have a cult following. My 03' V8 limited is just about to Crack 200k and runs great. Purchased in nov. 2012 with 118k and spent the last two years in mexico... during which I put 60k on it ...and let's just say those were not kind miles. Great cross county cruiaer. Can tow and haul plenty of weight. More comfortable seating and cabin than most modern uni body "SUV-cars"...although you will not forget this is on a truck frame. There is a reason 4runners are known for reliability. .. they simply last. As for the creature comforts, the only thing this 14 year old truck lacks is Bluetooth. In the limited V8, the stereo is fantastic, seating has lumbar support, A/C outlet in the console, loads of torque and unlike many, this is a champ off road and in the snow. I have driven my 4runner 40,000 miles in the last 12 months... and during that time also drove(Hyundai Santa Fe, Ford Tauras Limited, Subaru Forester, Opel Insigni/Buick Regal, Chevy Equinox)...I'll take the 14 yr old V8 cross country ahead of them all.

314,000 miles and runs like the day I bought it!

by Road Trippin Gal from Washington, DC | October 7, 2015

This is my 3rd Toyota (technically I had a Lexus, but under the hood it was a Toyota Supra engine). This is the 1st new vehicle I have owned. I have driven it in the city on long commutes, road trips across the country and long day trips. I garage it and faithfully change the oil and get the maintenance done by a small trust worthy garage. I just turned 314,000 miles and it runs like new. There is a reason you can not find these vehicles at the junkyards. The only reason I sold my first Toyota was because I had a small fender bender. The second Toyota was a Lexus and I sold it after putting 210,000 miles on it. If you dont believe all the positive reviews, call a few small garages and ask them if Toyota makes a reliable vehicle. Disclaimer: If you fail to get oil changes, keep the scheduled maintenance up with a reliable mechanic then you damage the vehicle. All vehicles must be maintained. Make sure you get the maintenance records or speak with the mechanic who maintained the vehicle if you buy from a private owner. Good luck!

2003 4runner excellent choice for a mid size suv

by ahmad77084 from | January 26, 2015

I got this truck at 193000 and it still looking good. I'm hoping to get 300k on it. Loving 4runner. It does aound 20 mpg which is not bad .

Extremely Dependable

by ToyFan from Parker Colorado | January 10, 2015

Bought an' 03 v6 new in '03. I could go on and on but will keep it short. Hands down best overall vehicle ever owned. To date, I've had 0 problems. Correction-a few years back I had to tighten a nut on the windshield wiper arm! Other than that, 190k+Miles later! it still starts and runs as if it were new. It's great in the snow and in the mountains. We got 73k Miles out of the original tires! And 77k Miles from the original front brake pads! It's needed the routine maintenance stuff- on its 3rd set of plugs, brake pads, oil every 5k-10k (dependent on conventional or synthetic), at this point she could definitely use some suspension maintenance as she doesn't ride quite like she used to. Understandable with almost 200k. Overall EXCELLENT vehicle.

Great truck

by The Dude from Miami, FL | June 26, 2014

Dependable, big, spacious, and good looking. Performed well, and was able to put the 2nd row down to create more space. Was able to move furniture or large pieces of equipment rather easily. Easy to keep clean. A lot of interior space. Never felt enclosed in it. All around great truck.

Best value for the dollar.

by xcskier from ILLINOIS | June 5, 2014

My old Tacoma had 298,000 miles. I missed till I bought this. A great used SUV - low miles - like new inside and out - and underneath. The Tacoma's are hard to find and more expensive used. This was a better value, more power, and more comfortable too. I am pleased!

Longevity review

by I like cars from Fort Collins, CO | August 21, 2013

I bought my 03 4runner used about 6 years ago. It had high mileage at the time. It's been very reliable in the 50k or so miles I have put on it. The V8 runs strong. Gas mileage is okay for the size of the engine, but I think the mpg meter is wrong, off by a mile or so per gallon. (not in a good way). I read the review about the brakes and yes there is something funky there, but it just takes getting used too. Not worth the terrible review though. It has been a fantastic vehicle. Besides oil changes, a timing belt, and brakes I have put 0 dollars into it. Again - I purchased it with high miles because I am a Toyota fan, but it's been incredibly reliable. This SUV handles well too - When I was shopping for one I rented a Ford Escape and I swear I thought it was going to roll on any quick maneuver, I have swerved in this SUV and it is really stable. Good smooth ride as well. Gas mileage in the city approx 14 - 15. On the highway or when I go skiing 17-20. Most I ever got was 22 on a trip to TX. While I recommend any car to get checked out first, even with high miles this truck is a pretty safe bet. I have the limited V8 package. I have owned many other cars (BMW, Volvo, Fords, Acura, and Toyota's) The Toyota's and Acura's have held up best.

Love the 4-Runner

by Love the 4-Runner from Raleigh, NC | December 27, 2012

Great great vehicle...this is my third 4-Runner and I will be buying another when needed................

Best I've ever owned

by Dhmtnbiker42 from Pittsfield, ma | November 23, 2012

I used to hate toyotas, but this car made me change my mind. I bought a used 2003 4runner sport edition with the 4.7v8. I've had it for a while now and it's great. 156000 miles and its never had anything but routine maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes etc). It's comfortable and well built. I used it to tow a car on a heavy trailer and it did great. I try not to bring it off road, however I have used it to pull a few Chevys out if the mud. It's an amazing, versatile suv

Can't beat the 4runner

by alcap from Texas | March 5, 2012

I was looking for a used 4runner because I've been driving a 1997 Tacoma 6cyl/4x4 for nearly 300K miles. The 4runner being the same platform should be as reliable with more comfort and style. The '03 I purchase had 94K miles on it and I've added another 4 or so but I'm expecting to get at LEAST 200K on this truck. At nearly 100K miles it rides and drives like it is new. No rattles, no funny squeaks, no leaks. Used Toyotas are slightly more expensive than other makes, but if you keep searching you can find a great vehicle at a good price.

Featured Services for this Toyota 4Runner