Toyota's midsize 4Runner is a truck-based SUV with available V-8 power and room for up to seven passengers. The SR5, Sport Edition and Limited trim levels are available. Similar truck-based SUVs include the Chevrolet TrailBlazer, Ford Explorer and Nissan Pathfinder, all of which have optional V-8 engines.
New for 2009
Toyota adds a Trail Edition package for 2009 that includes locking front and rear differentials as well as added skid plates for offroad use. On the inside, Trail Package 4Runners receive water-resistant seats and a portable navigation unit that's docked in the stereo system.
Built on a 109.8-inch wheelbase, the 4Runner is 189.2 inches long. The Sport Edition features a hood scoop, sport suspension and smoked chrome grille.
- 16-inch wheels
- 17-inch wheels (Sport)
- 18-inch rims (Limited)
- Rear liftgate has a power-down window
- Available projector headlights
- Available roof rack
Without the available third-row seat, the 4Runner seats five people on front buckets and a three-seat, fold-down 60/40-split rear bench. Seven occupants fit inside models equipped with a third-row seat. Cargo-area backup mirrors mounted in the rear pillars allow the driver to see oncoming vehicles when backing out of a parking stall.
- Two 12-volt outlets
- Remote keyless entry
- Tilt/telescoping steering wheel (Sport and Limited)
- Power front seats (Sport and Limited)
- Leather upholstery and heated front seats (Limited)
- Black wood grain interior trim (Limited)
- Available DVD navigation system
Under the Hood
Available engines include V-6 or V-8 power with rear- and four-wheel-drive models. Four-wheel-drive-equipped 4Runners feature Downhill Assist Control that restricts speed when going down a steep grade. Hill-start Assist Control, standard on rear- and four-wheel-drive models, works to keep the SUV from rolling backward on an upgrade.
- 4.7-liter V-8 making 260 horsepower and 306 pounds-feet of torque
- 4.0-liter V-6 making 236 hp and 266 pounds-feet of torque
- Both engines team with a five-speed automatic transmission
- Body-on-frame construction uses full-length, boxed-section frame rails
Standard safety features include:
- All-disc antilock brakes
- Seat-mounted side-impact and side curtain airbags with rollover sensors
- Electronic stability system
People Who Viewed this Car Also Viewed
Select up to three models to compare with the 2009 Toyota 4Runner.
Asking Price Range