2014 Toyota 4Runner

17 city / 21–22 hwy

Overall

Under-powered, gas-guzzling brick...

by T. from Denver, CO | January 20, 2015

2 weeks ago I sold my 2014 4Runner premium and I could not be happier. I bought it new in January 2014 to replace my 2002 4Runner premium that was sadly totaled by someone who ran a red light. First off, this new body design is ugly, do not kid yourself or try to convince yourself otherwise, be honest, I was not. It has too many pieces, angles and creases. The front looks like a bass and the protruding headlights and taillights are not only ugly but aerodynamically they are a detriment to the overall design, and they scratch easily. The gas mileage is terrible. I knew it would be poor, but after 8,000 miles my average was 14.8 and this is combined city and highway. The engine is not much different than the 6 cylinder from previous years, but the weight is significantly more, I mean significantly more, so this translates to a very under-powered vehicle. They need to use the small 8 from the previous sport model. The 4WD is terrible. It binds very early in the turn, even in very slick conditions, so much so that you lose about ¼ of your turning radius – this was never an issue in the older models – and the turning radius is bad enough as is. The traction control will not turn off, even when you try to override it by pushing the button. This can be dangerous when off-roading. It disengages for a few seconds then kicks back on – why? I said off, stay off. The interior feels cheap and it is cheap plastic, the knobs are enormous and it feels like a kid’s Tonka truck. Who needs a 2 inch knob for the temp and fan right in your face? The “leather” is cheap leatherette and it is very thin, not to mention black is really your only good-looking option. The sand color is just a black interior with tan seat covers, the contrast looks terrible. The navigation system is good. I will admit that the Entune system is easy to use, easy to access and it worked very well, it is the best thing about this vehicle. There are few options now for truck-based SUVs, everything is now a car platform cross-over, so you have very few choices. I would buy a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Nissan Xterra (can’t believe I just said that) over this any day. We love Toyota’s, so I am not bashing the brand; we also have a Lexus RX 350. Toyota needs to go back to the drawing board and use elements from the late-90s to 2003 model, which was their best and most reliable 4Runner. When I traded this in several people at the dealership agreed with all of my comments, I am not the first person to bring any of this up. If you are considering a new 4Runner, make sure you test drive everything else first, don’t follow me down the path of frustration and regret.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best value off road capable vehicle available

by 2014 4runner owner from Fort Wayne, IN | December 23, 2014

I've owned my 4Runner for 6 months now and love driving it everyday. Whether it's just a trip to the grocery or off-roading through the woods, this truck never disappoints. It's not surprising to see that this truck holds it's value better than any other vehicle on the market.

4th 4 Runner

by Coach from | December 22, 2014

Liked them all. This is the fourth 4 Runner and the 7th Toyota. If what I wrote was not enough, then this survey is ridiculous.

Not an upgrade

by Bruce from Charleston SC | October 15, 2014

I had a 2006 4 runner that was really nice. I am disappointed in the performance of the 2014 and the fuel economy is not that good. A friend of mine bought the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. MUCH better value and performance for the money. His 5.7 gets better mileage than my 3.0. Towing on 4 runner is 4700 lbs now, downgraded from the 2006. Jeep is 7400 lbs

Limited 4-runner

by 4-runner from Corpus christi, tx | September 22, 2014

love my new 4-runner. Couldn't ask for anything more, from the comfort to the room, to the awesome sound system! I could not ask for more, and the all wheel drive has really come in handy with all this rain we have had! So happy we decided to go with Toyota and more than anything the Limited 4-runner!!!

Superb Vehicle for Having Fun

by Jim Reedy's from Sumner WA | September 19, 2014

First off, best Toyota 4Runner I have ever owned. Suspension is sweet and absorbs all the bumps; visibility is excellent; JBL audio system is awesome. What needs improvement: less than stellar navigation system; power performance needs to be upped and more torque needed.

2014 Toyota 4 Runner Premium

by Windknot from Eastern Washington | September 8, 2014

>1,300 miles >20 MPG city & HWY combined >Using the navigation system sucks >Sound system is good >Rear cargo deck with seats down should be FLAT >Nice to be back in a vehicle with a rear window that can be lowered >Towing light boats = no loss in MPG >Very good viz-ability >Trailer electrical plug could be in a worse location under the rear of the vehicle however I am still not sure how or where.

great vehicle

by car lover from Moberly, MO | August 29, 2014

Its just another improved toyota that just keeps getting better. What else can I say? Better gas mileage than expected

Love my 4Runner

by Toyota Newbie from Cincinnati, oh | August 28, 2014

I went into Joseph Toyota wanting a FJ Cruiser. Everyone there was so nice and wonderful and helpful. We figured out that the 4Runner was a much bigger and better car for not much more money. Very happy with my choice and excellent salespeople at Joseph Toyota.

Super comfortable and very reliable 4Runner Limite

by Toyota 4Runner Fanatic from The Woodlands, TX | August 20, 2014

Great SUV, my wife and I are both very tall so it's nice to have a vehicle that fits us both but also fits our lifestyle that goes from city driving to off the path on weekends.