The Avalon is Toyota's flagship large sedan. In fact, higher trim levels rival the ES 350 from Toyota's luxury brand, Lexus, in terms of comfort, luxury and price. The Avalon is available in XL, XLS and Limited trim levels. Competitors include the Buick LaCrosse, Ford Taurus and Chrysler 300.
New for 2010
There are no significant changes for 2010.
The Avalon's exterior sports a clean, upscale and — above all — conservative look. The rear has a two-level trunk design with smoked taillights. Neat features include available puddle lamps and turn signals embedded in the side mirrors — not on the housing.
- 16- or 17-inch alloy wheels
- Standard dual exhaust
- Standard automatic headlamps
- Optional power moonroof
- Optional heated mirrors with auto-dimming driver's mirror
- Optional integrated fog lamps
- Optional rain-sensing wipers
The Avalon's interior is constructed out of materials that have a high-quality feel. The styling of the dash and center console has more in common with a piece of furniture than a cockpit. The stereo, cupholders, CD player and center storage areas are concealed behind doors, which can make the cabin look cluttered when they're open.
Storage provisions include a large glove box, a sizable center console bin and pull-out front-door pockets. The three-passenger backseat is split 60/40 and can recline up to 10 degrees. However, the bench only has a lockable pass-through — there's no fold-down feature.
- Available cloth or leather seating
- Standard dual-zone automatic climate control
- Standard eight-way power driver's seat, optional power passenger seat
- Available heated seats
- Available 360-watt JBL sound system
- Optional navigation system
- Optional power rear sunshade
Under the Hood
The Avalon's automatic transmission has a manual-shift provision. Toyota cites a zero to 60 mph time of 7.1 seconds, with an EPA-estimated gas mileage of 19/28 mpg city/highway.
- Standard 268-horsepower, 3.5-liter V-6 with 248 pounds-feet of torque
- Standard six-speed automatic transmission
The Avalon scores Good in the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's frontal-offset and side-impact crash tests.
- Standard side-impact and side curtain airbags
- Standard driver's knee airbag
- Standard active front head restraints
- Standard antilock brakes with electronic brake-force distribution
- Standard electronic stability system with traction control
- Optional adaptive cruise control
Cars.com Expert Reviews
|Kelsey Mays||Cars.com National||December 30, 2009|
|Cars.com Staff||Cars.com National||September 23, 2009|
People Who Viewed This Car Also Viewed
Closest Dealers Listing this Car
Featured Services for the Toyota Avalon
- Sell your current car quickly and easily on Cars.com.