2013 Toyota Avalon

21 city / 31 hwy

Overall

For Maximum Smooth Ride, Get the XLE

by Roy L from Huntington Beach, CA | February 16, 2015

I was signing final purchase documents tonight and almost backed out when I saw more than several people complain of a bumpy ride. My salesman and common sense setting in will now resolve this matter for you. It is all about the tire/rim design. The wide, low to the ground tires of the touring and premium models are going to create a bumpy ride. What these tires give in return is greater sporty handling. If a smooth ride is what you want, then choose the XLE which has narrower taller (the distance from the ground to the bottom edge of the rim) stature and cushion. You can even increase smooth ride (at the expense of handling) when you replace your tires when they wear out with even taller, narrower tires. The XLE comes with 55s. The 60s size tires give more cushiony ride than the 55s and you can even go 65 on the tire (not tire pressure!! we are talking about the tire SIZE and DIMENSION) to get maximum cushiony ride. THIS SITUATION IS THE SAME WITH ANY CAR WITH WIDE, LOW PROFILE TIRES... Toyota Intentionally moved a notch away from cushiony toward sporty to create more of a "hyrbid" of what older people usually want, which is cushiony at the expense of handling, and what younger people want, better handling at the expense of feeling a few bumps. Its true that I only drove about 25 freeway miles, but, I can see that 85 percent of the time, you feel mostly the smoothness, and what you get in return is better handling on curves and fast turns that inevitably come our way. The car is WONDERFUL. I do not understand any complaints about the seats, or quality of the interior. I WILL update this review if I change my opinion, with only about 30 miles of driving and only owning it for 24 hours. The 2013s are all new compared to the 2012 and are the best avalons made. There are now NO TIMING BELTS which eliminate one MAJOR expense that hits older model Avalons (I do not know what year they changed to timing chains, but the 2013 has a timing chain that does not need that costly replacement every 150,000 miles. Even if you have to drive a distance to get this done every 10,000 miles, this is a HUGE BENEFIT!

Worst Avalon in 4 we have owned

by chief from Yorktown, VA | November 5, 2014

We have been 100% Toyota lovers since our first Corolla in 1980. Our 2013 Avalon XLE Premium is our 4th Avalon and we cannot believe the difference from the other 3. The ride and comfort are terrible. Our Toyota Tacoma has a better ride and more comfortable seats. We feel every little bump in the road. Toyota made a big mistake when they put the Avalon on a Camry frame in 2013. We test drove the 2014 Avalon and it is no different. Will stay with Toyota but moving back to the Camry next time.

Interior material an workmanship

by Disappointed from Leicester NCAA | September 4, 2014

My 2013 Avalon with 7000 some miles the interior seat backs began falling off. June 2014 notified dealer July had not heard anything, contacted dealer nothind done to resolve my problem, September have been ignored by Toyota and the dealer, at this point it is apparent that their strategy is to let the warranty expire. Do not buy toyota Avalon unless you loved disappointment.

Poor Toyota

by charley from Syracuse, NY | June 19, 2014

For $30,000 plus should be more comfortable. Feel too much of the road. Leather is cheap. Not enough cushion in seat. After only 4 months, I can't get out of this car soon enough. This is my last Toyota.

a sad day for avalon owners

by boggiebill from wilmette,il. | May 30, 2014

a greet car,before 2013. they made a mess,of the change. the ride is harsh and stiff. the steering is too sensitive. the seats are not as confortable.the dashboard,is hard to look at. . i would not recomend,the 2013,or2014,.

Broken Back

by lrob22 from Nashville, TN | May 23, 2014

Purchased a 2013 Avalon 8 months ago, first the headliner broke at the back window, then the seat backs broke. Finally after several weeks the parts came in and they repaired these problems (This was a New Car). Wife drives this car her back hurts every day from the uncomfortable seats. Ride is so rough and noisy that its really hard to enjoy the new car. I own a 2007 Avalon and I prefer it to the new one, It is a very good car. So three weeks ago I traded it for a 2014 Buick Lacrosse my wife says this is the best ride of all every day she says "I love this car" I guess this was not what I expected from Toyota...

Mule & Wagon Ride

by Avalon in Retrospect from Middle Georgia | May 20, 2014

Still have my 04 Avalon and drive it on trips since it is much more comfortable than this one. My wife does not complain but this is the roughest ride I have had in a car since a '48 Jeep. I will not buy another Toyota anything.

Great Car

by Tony from nEW yORK | April 3, 2014

I had the car less than a week and I think the car is great. I have a 2006 Avalon Touring and leased a 2013 Toyota Avalon Touring. The car rides great and like the nav system, backup camera and the way you can change from eco to normal to sport. Eco mode will get you better gas mileage. Can tell difference between normal and sport. Test drove Impala, 300, Taurus and ES350. I picked the Avalon because it drove the best and was a little bigger than the ES350. Will update this post if it changes.

overall good. some frustration early innings

by Frenchie from Little Valley N.Y. | March 23, 2014

Technology somewhat difficult to initiate or pair with smart phone. Avalon still won' read texts like 2012 Camry did (without any difficulty) . Entune system overrated. Car should come with a DVD for car manual not a 1000 page book or books no one has time to read.

Looks are illusory

by UnhappyINga from North GA | February 27, 2014

First impressions of the 2013 Avalon were, for me, WOW! Ultra comfortable seating, good acceleration and handling for a larger car and the good feeling of knowing what I'm getting, having owned a 1997 Avalon many years ago. So much for the good. Closer inspection revealed some serious fit and finish issues like carpeting pulling away from the front door exit, headliner showing bubbles indicating a rush job at the factory which went out the door anyway. The test drive went well for a time until a sound came from the front wheels akin to a rubbing/scraping noise that the salesperson said was the result of the car 'sitting on the lot too long without being moved...don't worry about it". Say what???? Has Toyota lost its way somewhere along the line? I don't know but I went from genuinely wanting to buy this car to let some other less discerning buyer have at it.