2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid

2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Available in 2 styles:  2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid 4dr Sedan shown

Overall

Definitely would buy again.

by John from Illinois | September 17, 2014

I bought the XLE Camry Hybrid in April 2012 with 9800 miles on it. It rides, handles and looks like a new car. I have averaged over 41 mpg in combined driving since purchase and have put 10,000 miles on it already. Definitely will look for another one when it is time to trade, again.

Great car but...

by Fawkes from Lake Orion, MI | April 14, 2014

I've had my Camry Hybrid LE for a little over 2 weeks now, and I love it. It feels solid, very quiet and safe, is reasonably comfortable and has great gas mileage. I would recommend it without hesitation... BUT... I am disappointed by the cheapness of the interiors. Compared with my previous 2001 Solara (same appointment level) I lost the driver power seat... worse, the materials used for dashboard, door lining etc. are several grades below my old car's. Is this the best you can do, Toyota?

love the quiet

by 1st hybrid from ALA | November 25, 2013

while we plan to use for trips in the 300-600 mile range, it's the in town use that's so impressive. 50 mpg is easily attainable. power seats with the xle--worth every penny.

Great for my needs

by Dual Hybrids from Northern Colorado | November 23, 2013

Compared to my 2010 Camry Hybrid: a. More trunk room b. better fuel efficiency c better acceleration d. transition from battery to motor less noticeable e. lacks the 3-element garage door opener on the 2010 f. less high-speed road noise g. much less space in the glove compartment h. I miss the premium sound system of the 2010 i. the dash covering looks weird (my opinion) General observations: 1. steering average to above average, but not sporty 2. great braking 3. nice road feel; very stable so far 4. instrument layout is comfortable for me

Hybrid XLE

by 1st-time Toyota owner from Herndon, VA | August 28, 2013

I've had my car for 8 months and 5500 miles and overall it's a good car but there's a lot of minor issues with it that will probably keep me from buying another Toyota. THE GOOD: The mileage is great which is the main reason I bought a hybrid. I've averaged around 40 mpg (the car says it's 43, but it's wrong - Toyota says this margin of error is acceptable....whatever!). The ride is ok and the cab is reasonably quiet though the sound system can't overcome the road noise at highway speed. The visibility is excellent. Roomy back seats. THE BAD: The seats are by far the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. At first they seemed ok but after riding in the car a while I've decided they don't work for me - I dread the day I have to make a long road trip in this car. I've also had several minor issues that the dealership hasn't been able to replicate - climate control randomly resets to factory default so I have to constantly adjust the temp controls. The GPS keeps recalculating even though I'm on open highway with no trees or bridges! Also, the driver's side seat belt catches and locks VERY easily with only a little force applied, so trying to get it latched the first time you get in the car can be a chore - good luck if you're in a hurry. I reported this to the dealer and according to them it's within spec. The trunk space is good, but access via the rear seat is limited to a very small hole - not much good for anything. Lastly, the in-dash media controls are difficult to walk through as they're not very intuitive. Plus Toyota has locked out a lot of the functionality while the car is moving, with no ability for you to deactivate this feature. As a result you either have to pull over to put in a new destination or have it all programmed in before you go anywhere. You would at least thought they would enable the functionality if you had a passenger so they could operate the GPS, but Toyota has apparently decided they know what is best for everyone. The Entune feature came with a lot of hype but little substance. If you're able to get it to sync with your phone via Bluetooth (mine constantly forgets my phone) there's a lot of functionality that is available to you, although I've yet to have a need to use most of it. I have experience with another American car entertainment/media system and it is by far better than Toyota's Entune. If I could do it all over again I would pass on the Camry - the mileage is great but the overall driving and maintenance experience is poor in my opinion. There a plenty of other cars out there that offer similar mileage and price and have better styling and functionality.

This is a Great Hybrid

by RAC from | August 9, 2013

If you are interested in a nice car and saving gas $ this car is fantastic. This rating is for an XLE wiith leather, sunroof, navigation, all power seats etc. Plenty of Room, Plenty of Pep, Sharp looking car, Somewhat quiet ride, Controls that were well designed and well placed. If you drive in rush hour or medium to high traffic, forget the sticker mileage of 38/40 I am averaging 42/48. Once you know how to maximize your ride based on the battery <-> gas ratio you will get much better gas mileage than the sticker. On one 58 mile commute I avergaed 51.9 miles per gallon. Only drawback for me is I am pretty tall and I have to have the seat lower than I would normally like - car is built lower to the ground.

Happy in SC

by Hank from Columbia, SC | July 17, 2013

I purchased this XLE Hybrid back in Nov. 2012 due to travelling 55 miles one way to work. I am coming up on 20K miles soon and have never had an issue. My previous car was the 2009 Yaris so it was easy for me to upgrade due to the miles I would be driving. I now have a bigger car with more comfort and it actually gets better mileage to boot. I am extremely happy with this Camry and will buy another one when the wheels run off of this one.

2012 Toyota Camry- maybe I just had a lemon.

by trc from Katy, Texas | June 22, 2013

I have owned the car for just over a year, and it has been in the shop multiple times totaling over 20 days with major repairs. A couple examples: 1. The headliner and rear glass was pulled and Toyota factory rep had them weld bracing in the roof. This was to stop the car's loud popping noise in the roof of the car. 2.The car flooded itself within 2 days time. They say the AC overflow value was stopped up. Now this is a car that is garaged all the time and left out under a tree. Water was in the dash and floor of the car. Computer harness, passenger airbag, carpet and padding all had to be replaced. This bill was $6,147.00. But I have a friend that has the same car, and had minimum issues. Good luck if you decide on a Camry.

I really like this car

by hybird-only from | April 7, 2013

I like the ride of this car. I found it easy to get to know and liked the ease of driving this care. I really liked the mpg... I have gotten as much as 41mpg. this car is really a good fit for our family.

Good but not Great

by Northern Exposure from Cambridge ON | April 1, 2013

Purchased this XLE Hybrid new in August 2012, presently showing 40,250 kms. Many dealer visits from squeaky sunroof to (as my dealer says "wonky" heater) to headlight bulbs failing (3rd set) to Unknown?? Last trip to the dealer was on a flat bed, vehicle died backing out of my driveway, all systems VSA. Bad electronics (so they say) re-flashed system, so far so good. 4th Camry, probably my last, I usually clock 85,000 kms per year and they just don't seem to be as good and trouble free as the earlier ones, too bad because when it runs properly it's a pleasure to drive and very comfortable.