2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Great car but...

by Fawkes from Lake Orion, MI | April 14, 2014

I've had my Camry Hybrid LE for a little over 2 weeks now, and I love it. It feels solid, very quiet and safe, is reasonably comfortable and has great gas mileage. I would recommend it without hesitation... BUT... I am disappointed by the cheapness of the interiors. Compared with my previous 2001 Solara (same appointment level) I lost the driver power seat... worse, the materials used for dashboard, door lining etc. are several grades below my old car's. Is this the best you can do, Toyota?

love the quiet

by 1st hybrid from ALA | November 25, 2013

while we plan to use for trips in the 300-600 mile range, it's the in town use that's so impressive. 50 mpg is easily attainable. power seats with the xle--worth every penny.

Great for my needs

by Dual Hybrids from Northern Colorado | November 23, 2013

Compared to my 2010 Camry Hybrid: a. More trunk room b. better fuel efficiency c better acceleration d. transition from battery to motor less noticeable e. lacks the 3-element garage door opener on the 2010 f. less high-speed road noise g. much less space in the glove compartment h. I miss the premium sound system of the 2010 i. the dash covering looks weird (my opinion) General observations: 1. steering average to above average, but not sporty 2. great braking 3. nice road feel; very stable so far 4. instrument layout is comfortable for me

Hybrid XLE

by 1st-time Toyota owner from Herndon, VA | August 28, 2013

I've had my car for 8 months and 5500 miles and overall it's a good car but there's a lot of minor issues with it that will probably keep me from buying another Toyota. THE GOOD: The mileage is great which is the main reason I bought a hybrid. I've averaged around 40 mpg (the car says it's 43, but it's wrong - Toyota says this margin of error is acceptable....whatever!). The ride is ok and the cab is reasonably quiet though the sound system can't overcome the road noise at highway speed. The visibility is excellent. Roomy back seats. THE BAD: The seats are by far the most uncomfortable seats I've ever sat in. At first they seemed ok but after riding in the car a while I've decided they don't work for me - I dread the day I have to make a long road trip in this car. I've also had several minor issues that the dealership hasn't been able to replicate - climate control randomly resets to factory default so I have to constantly adjust the temp controls. The GPS keeps recalculating even though I'm on open highway with no trees or bridges! Also, the driver's side seat belt catches and locks VERY easily with only a little force applied, so trying to get it latched the first time you get in the car can be a chore - good luck if you're in a hurry. I reported this to the dealer and according to them it's within spec. The trunk space is good, but access via the rear seat is limited to a very small hole - not much good for anything. Lastly, the in-dash media controls are difficult to walk through as they're not very intuitive. Plus Toyota has locked out a lot of the functionality while the car is moving, with no ability for you to deactivate this feature. As a result you either have to pull over to put in a new destination or have it all programmed in before you go anywhere. You would at least thought they would enable the functionality if you had a passenger so they could operate the GPS, but Toyota has apparently decided they know what is best for everyone. The Entune feature came with a lot of hype but little substance. If you're able to get it to sync with your phone via Bluetooth (mine constantly forgets my phone) there's a lot of functionality that is available to you, although I've yet to have a need to use most of it. I have experience with another American car entertainment/media system and it is by far better than Toyota's Entune. If I could do it all over again I would pass on the Camry - the mileage is great but the overall driving and maintenance experience is poor in my opinion. There a plenty of other cars out there that offer similar mileage and price and have better styling and functionality.

This is a Great Hybrid

by RAC from | August 9, 2013

If you are interested in a nice car and saving gas $ this car is fantastic. This rating is for an XLE wiith leather, sunroof, navigation, all power seats etc. Plenty of Room, Plenty of Pep, Sharp looking car, Somewhat quiet ride, Controls that were well designed and well placed. If you drive in rush hour or medium to high traffic, forget the sticker mileage of 38/40 I am averaging 42/48. Once you know how to maximize your ride based on the battery <-> gas ratio you will get much better gas mileage than the sticker. On one 58 mile commute I avergaed 51.9 miles per gallon. Only drawback for me is I am pretty tall and I have to have the seat lower than I would normally like - car is built lower to the ground.

Happy in SC

by Hank from Columbia, SC | July 17, 2013

I purchased this XLE Hybrid back in Nov. 2012 due to travelling 55 miles one way to work. I am coming up on 20K miles soon and have never had an issue. My previous car was the 2009 Yaris so it was easy for me to upgrade due to the miles I would be driving. I now have a bigger car with more comfort and it actually gets better mileage to boot. I am extremely happy with this Camry and will buy another one when the wheels run off of this one.

2012 Toyota Camry- maybe I just had a lemon.

by trc from Katy, Texas | June 22, 2013

I have owned the car for just over a year, and it has been in the shop multiple times totaling over 20 days with major repairs. A couple examples: 1. The headliner and rear glass was pulled and Toyota factory rep had them weld bracing in the roof. This was to stop the car's loud popping noise in the roof of the car. 2.The car flooded itself within 2 days time. They say the AC overflow value was stopped up. Now this is a car that is garaged all the time and left out under a tree. Water was in the dash and floor of the car. Computer harness, passenger airbag, carpet and padding all had to be replaced. This bill was $6,147.00. But I have a friend that has the same car, and had minimum issues. Good luck if you decide on a Camry.

I really like this car

by hybird-only from | April 7, 2013

I like the ride of this car. I found it easy to get to know and liked the ease of driving this care. I really liked the mpg... I have gotten as much as 41mpg. this car is really a good fit for our family.

Good but not Great

by Northern Exposure from Cambridge ON | April 1, 2013

Purchased this XLE Hybrid new in August 2012, presently showing 40,250 kms. Many dealer visits from squeaky sunroof to (as my dealer says "wonky" heater) to headlight bulbs failing (3rd set) to Unknown?? Last trip to the dealer was on a flat bed, vehicle died backing out of my driveway, all systems VSA. Bad electronics (so they say) re-flashed system, so far so good. 4th Camry, probably my last, I usually clock 85,000 kms per year and they just don't seem to be as good and trouble free as the earlier ones, too bad because when it runs properly it's a pleasure to drive and very comfortable.

Delivers on promises, but could be better

by Bubz from Herndon, Va | March 28, 2013

Bought my Camry hybrid in January and have been driving it for almost 3 months/1400 miles. Mileage has been impressive, but it does depend a lot on your driving habits. I've ranged from 37 to 44 per tank travelling the same routes. If you reallty pay attention you can achieve well over 40 mpg, but if you're in D.C. traffic like me then you can't always just focus on mileage without irritating other drivers. Hard not to though as it has become a game to see how long I can go without making the gas engine kick on! Seat comfort is so-so, I've owned several new and used cars and this is by far the least comfortable of them all as far as the driver's seat goes. Steering and braking is just ok as well, with a sort of jerky feel while trying to steer or brake - difficult to do either smoothly. Cabin noise is really low for most part but I do find I need to turn up the radio at highway speeds. Overall not too bad of a sound system. Acceleration is good considering its a hybrid. Plenty of power for a sedan, just don't expect to beat too many people off the line and you won't be disappointed. Although trying to move from a dead stop/stop light just on battery is extremely slow and will definitely annoy those behind you. I've read several reviews where people complain about the touch screen on the center console, but compared to other touch screens I've tried I'd say it's just as good and the buttons are easy enough to operate. I think most of the complaints are from people that haven't used them before and just aren't used to them. My only complaint is the ENTUNE feature - it's free for the first 3 years but then you have to buy a subscription. Not gonna happen Toyota! Trunk space is not bad. Wish there was better access through the back seats as the batteries block most of it. My only maintenance complaint so far is the cabin heater. It has been malfunctioning for the last 500 miles so I'll be bringing it in to get fixed. Kind of annoying for a new car, especially a Toyota. Otherwise all is good!