2014 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Starting MSRP

Overall

First Camry after 20 years with Honda

by MiddleClassProfessional from NY | August 13, 2014

We were in the market for a new car and I wanted a sedan. Our kids are growing up and starting to move out of the house so our second car no longer needs to be a minivan (too). I test drove the Honda Accord first, as we are primarily a Honda family. But I was disappointed. The Accord (EX) was loud, handling was so-so, the engine strained when you pushed and the audio system was awful. The Sonata was next. Great zip/pick up. Very comfortable for me. Very nice ride. Lots of great features. But for my husband and three boys that are over 6 feet tall? No. It was too small. Sitting in the drivers seat, their heads rubbed the roof for some (or almost did, for others) The Passat was lovely, but reliability records scared me off. From the moment we ended my test drive, we knew the Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE was the car for us. It's perfect at what it does/is! Zippy. Comfortable. Solid. Great gas mileage. Spacious back seat. Ample head room. Awesome sound on the standard audio system. Loving the bluetooth/xm radio. Nav takes some getting used to but is more up-to-date than the honda system (we have a 2010 Odyssey)....but truthfully I sort of like both for different reasons. I could not be more pleased with our purchase. It is almost embarrassing how much I love this inanimate object. Gas Mileage? We are averaging in the range of 39 mpg.....I have not changed my driving habits. Some days are better than others. Some days we get 47 or even 50 mpg others in the low 30's. Depends on the terrain/length/speed. We'll see what the winter brings but our van gets but right now our average price per month for gas on the hybrid is less than 100 dollars and on the van it is around 250 for approximately the same mileage.

My Second Camry Hybrid XLE

by Jennie from Derby, Kansas | July 22, 2014

I traded my 2009 Camry Hybrid during the zero percent financing event offered by Toyota. I bought the newest version of my previous car because I really liked that car and had a good experience with driving it. I recommend the Camry to everyone. I purchased the extended warranty with it for peace of mind. I would have liked to have the six cd changer as in my previous Camry as I travel frequently and listen to audio books on the road. I am not sure how I feel about these seats having the suede in the center. Suede is difficult to keep clean. My tall son drove my car and didn't like how low the rear view mirror hangs. It does seem to block the view unless you duck down and look to the right. Finally, when driving in sunlight I have resorted to placing a dark cloth on the gear shift knob area as the metallic trim is too reflective and bounces the sunlight up into my eyes. I am sure we can deal with that irritation. Otherwise, this is a good car.

bad expansive auxillary 12v battery

by car user from auckland, NZ | July 1, 2014

only 25 months of using this camry hybrid 2012 model, but already turn me down twice, unable to start and go with flat 12v battery. The worst is it costs me almost nz$700 to replace it from Toyota branch. it is crazy price for a 12v battery. This battery in only special in having a vent to outside of rear compartment. and this cost so much different to normal battery.

Found my car!

by Frisco Car Enthusiast from Frisco, TX | June 24, 2014

I researched best options for my wife and me and this 2014 Camry XLE Hybrid is spot on. It looks great, drives great, and gets super good gas mileage without sacrificing performance. We couldn't be more satisfied with a car purchase unless it was given to us.

EPA Estimate is real.

by East TN Buyer from Northeast Tennessee | June 17, 2014

Cons: disco-era upholstery pattern, no tachometer. Plastic wheel covers, I did not think anyone still made these things. Firestones instead of tires. Pros: everything else. Everything. The ride is smooth and surprisingly quiet. I prefer a firm ride over soft handling. The Camry strikes just the right balance. Compared to the minivans and SUVs I’ve been driving, the Camry is a go-cart. Acceleration is good. The car moves quickly with no apparent effort. My old minivan was quick and well-powered with a V6, but it protested noisily when pushed. Ditto for the old Cherokee with its I-6. I never know how hard the Camry is working, as there is no tachometer. There are multiple fuel economy gauges, but no tachometer. How many ways do I need to read fuel economy? A tach would have been nice. I was apprehensive about the CVT, thinking it might transition to a lower drive ratio (downshift) at the slightest touch of the gas pedal; but my worries were unfounded. Now I think I like it better than any automatic transmission I’ve driven. Apparently, I have an early model 2014, as there is no rearview camera. There is no urgent need for one; visibility is good. The disco-era upholstery looks odd, but it I am fat enough to hide it when I sit down. And I expect the pattern will disguise a few inevitable spots and minor stains. Exterior looks good. Toyota calls the color “Creme Brulee Mica”. When they asked at the DMV, I told them “tan”. A couple of dealer-specified extras are nice to have, particularly the fog lights, which are not standard on this LE trim. Also, there are clear plastic overlays to protect the paint on door edges and on the top of the rear bumper where careless loading and unloading of the trunk might scratch unprotected paint. Similar protection is applied under the door handles, but that may not be as necessary as in the old days when you opened the doors with a keyring in your hand, and the keys occasionally scratched the paint under the door handles. That brings up one of the nice advantages of this car – the smart key system. Locked doors, the trunk lid, and the “start” button all respond to your touch while the proximity key remains in your pocket. Phone pairing was exceptionally easy. After that, Bluetooth pairing with the music app on my phone was a non-event; music started as soon as I selected “Bluetooth” mode on the Camry’s audio system. Of course, the i-phone prioritizes GPS audible directions over music. If you get a phone call, hit the button on the steering wheel to pick up; all other phone functions such as Pandora and GPS are muted. If you are talking on the phone while the car is turned off, be prepared for the call to go hands-free as soon as you press the “Start” button. This is my first car with a MP3 player, so I tried it 2 or 3 times before it made sense. It is sufficiently intuitive that I did not resort to the owner’s manual. Digital MPG readings are nice, but I am skeptical, so I did the ‘rithmetic when I filled the tank. My second tank averaged 38.6 MPG. EPA reports whole numbers, so I am rounding up to 39, which matches the EPA highway estimate. I have never before matched any EPA estimate. This was a mixture of highway and local driving. In the hilly terrain where I live, I will not expect to see 43 MPG for local driving. And maybe the plastic wheel covers on my basic LE model are not so bad. EPA estimates are about 1 mpg lower for the XLE model with its 17” alloy wheels. And Toyota’s web site warns: “17-in. performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 24,000 miles depending upon the tire used and driving conditions.” Anyone know if this is typical for series 55 low profile tires? Steel rims (and plastic wheel covers) come with tires sized 205/65/16. The alternative tire size for alloy rims is 215/55/17. Maybe the best alternative would be 16” alloy rims instead of steel. I will admit these plastic wheel covers are not as ugly as some I have seen. My old prejudice may be no longer valid, but I have only one reference point for Firestone, back in 1975. Based on that experience, I can offer no endorsement of Firestone products that look like tires. Capabilities and features of new cars are progressing so fast now that I was confident I would prefer a new Camry over a used luxury model. No regrets.

my third camry - best ever

by cub from SHERIDAN, OREGON | June 13, 2014

IN MY LIFE TIME I HAVE BOUGHT OR LEASED 8 TOYOTA'S. EVEN MY DAUGHTER BOUGHT A CAMRY. I HAVE INFLUENCED SOME OF MY PERSONAL FRIENDS TO BUY A TOYOTA. FOUR OF MY TOYOTA PURCHASES HAVE BEEN FROM THE SAME DEALER. THAT SPEAKS VOLUMES FOR THEM. MY FIRST CAMRY I HAD FOR NEARLY 20 YRS. I SOLD IT WITHIN FOUR HOURS & IT HAS OVER 245,000 MILES. TOYOTA MAKES THE MOST RELIABLE CARS ON THE MARKET. MR. DARWIN GRIMM

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Toyota Camry

by Clay from Atlanta, GA | June 4, 2014

The car runs great you cant even hear the engine, it great on gas (40 mpg), Its very comfortable, I get a lot of compliments about my Camry Hybrid, I'm a proud owner.

Great gas mileage with a plus interior

by Joan from Des Moines,Iowa | May 15, 2014

After driving a Prius for the last 4 years, I wanted some upgrades in styling and interior features. I got that in the Camry Hybrid. The leather upholstery is a step up from the Prius but I had to sacrifice some gas mileage for a bit more lux. I also preferred a female salesperson and Toyota has a jewel in Becky Grissom.

Not in cold states, but would buy regular Camry.

by No cold weather from Wausau, wisconsin | April 29, 2014

I really like the Toyota Camry, but if you live in a state that gets cold don't bother spending the extra money for a hybrid. I get 40 mpg in the warm months, but the minute it gets below 35 degrees the gas mileage plummets to as low as 25-27 mpg. Since winters in Wisconsin seem to now be lasting 8 months a year it doesn't pay. However, I would buy a non-hybrid Camry again in a heartbeat. They are reliable, roomy, and provide an excellent ride. Things to improve on: In the winter, when the roads are bad, the back end tends to be loose and does not handle as well as other vehicles I have driven. Handles on inside of doors needs to be a darker color. They get dirty very easily. Not sure why outside handle on drivers side does not unlock all four doors when you go to open it.

A Great Family Car

by Happy buyer from Los Angeles | April 24, 2014

The styling is quite conservative, but everything works so well, and it gets such great gas mileage, that this is an almost perfect car for most drivers, especially for a family that has to watch its budget.