2002 Toyota Camry Solara

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Most Reliable and Comfortable Car Ever Owned

by High MIleage Driver from Red Bank, NJ | January 6, 2014

Bought my 2002 Toyota Solara Convertable new when I left a company who had provided company cars. Drove it regularly in city traffic and long trips for 10 years on the new job until 2012 when I got a company car again. Hauled a tent camper on family vacations with it and also a small trailor taking kids to college, no issue. It now has 254,000 miles on it, stored at our condo as an extra. The only thing ever needed is maintenance, Never broken down. My mechanic feels it could easily go 500,000 plus, mostly because I take care of all the routine maintenance, especially regular oil changes 3-5K miles. Important he says with this model engine, a real Toyota classic long term performer but sludge can reduce it's life. Top still in good shape, garaged mostly, leather seats a bit worn, needs it's 5th set of tires, otherwise still looks and runs great. Only thing that really ever broke was the power antenna, replaced it. Key I found out is DON'T lubricate them. Only complaint I've ever had is the trunk is a bit small to accommodate the top, but in great weather, top down is a good way to port a few 2x4's, furniture or whatever. Bet this is 1 of the best cars Toyota has made and stands out against the direct competition, surprised they didn't sell more.

I'm in love

by Blonde with a Convertible from Branford, CT | September 20, 2012

I bought my 2002 Solara SLE in January 2012 with almost 92,000 miles. I had secretly lusted after a red Solara convertible, and there it was on the lot (along with a while one). I tried to ignore its siren call, but my '92 LeBaron was in its death throes and I couldn't ignore it any longer. DH said to get something practical, "like a 4-door, with stick even." No. It was then or never. I succumbed to the Solara. There are cars that feel just right when you sit in them and the Solara is one. Apart and aside from being just beautiful (yes, I think the older models are prettier than the newer ones), it runs and handles beautifully. Nothing except gas for the eight months I've owned it. I don't put on a lot of miles, so I hope it lasts forever. I feel like such a material girl, but I just freakin' love this car. It makes me happy every time I drive it -- heck, it makes me happy just seeing it in the garage!

She's Perfect

by Mr. 1970 Monte Carlo dragster from Olympia, WA | February 6, 2012

So my wife and i went car shopping 3 years ago and it was my wife trading in her pile of you know what :) Pontiac Sunfire and had done some research on cars that were at the lot my buddy worked at so we went there to check out a Mazda 3 and right next to it was an 02 SLE Solara V6 and my wife was stuck and totally looked passed the Mazda and literally said I want this car right now. So we asked my buddy what he was gonna do for us and what the history was on the car. Turns out an elderly gentleman owned it and garaged it its whole life. I mean obviously he was driving it but the paint looked like the car just rolled off the lot and it had 51,000 miles on it for an 8 year old car. Other than true Old school classic American muscle I prefer Toyota, Honda's & Acuras before anything else. This car in the last 3 years has needed absolutely nothing but oil changes. The tires still look brand new even, even after 3 years. Because it's a V6 the 200 HP motor it has is plenty to get where you need to in a quick fashion. I can get from 60-90 on the freeway to pass who ever i need to in a matter of a few seconds. This car is really quick and it handles really well. If you have the need for very affordable sports coupe i would highly recommend a 2nd gen Solara. I don't care for the style of the newest Gen or much of the 1st gen but my model the 2nd Gen is beautiful and I fell in love with this car so i steal it from my wife every chance i get. We have only put about 19,000 more miles on it in 3 years so it's at 70,000 and some change, but i know this car is going to last us forever, probably even have it still when my 1 year old son is able to get his license that's how much i trust the reliability of this car. So overall this is an amazing car that you can depend on day in and day out that is affordable and has the kind of power to move quickly around anyone at any given time. I would rate it at about a 4.9 out of 5.0 on an overall spectrum.

Really good choice

by PA Biz from New Haven, CT | August 29, 2011

I was totally happy with the Solara, had very few very tiny problems for 75,000 miles, until I decided I had to have a Prius.

Perfect buy

by wanderer89 from Kennesaw, GA | August 12, 2011

My 2002 Solara has never had any problems. I take it in to Toyota for regular maintenance. It handles nicely and my 4 cylinder is great on local and highways passing cars without any problems. Fuel mileage is very good. It has nearly 66.000 miles and the only changes were for a new set of tires. The leg room is sufficient and the seats are very comfortable. I had my last car, a Toyota Camry LE, for 15 years. This car will outlast it by several years.

Tops and Flops

by Convertible Enthusiast from High Point, NC | May 7, 2011

This 2002 Solara convertible is the most solid, road-worthy car I have ever owned including the 1999 Avalon I had owned for 6 years. But a 10-year old top has some hidden aging that will cost $2,000 to replace due to dry rot from underneath. People buying a car this age should be aware of that and prepare to invest that money, if they like cars of this vintage. This car had only 60,000 miles when I bought it, but top life depends on age, not mileage.

Love it!

by tjt56 from Austell, Georgia | September 14, 2010

I absolutely love my '02 Camry Solara. I saw one a year before I purchased the one I own now and knew I had to have it! The interior was comfortable, LOTS OF ROOM! The trunk is huge. I fit a queen sized bed from IKEA and 2 side tables(boxed) in the back and was able to shut the trunk. I am planning on buying a newer year Solara next year. The maintenance is affordable and haven't needed to do much, I have 150,000 miles and still going strong. If you want a sporty, comfortable, reliable car then go with this Solara.

Toyota is tops

by Cal from Santa Barbara, CA | January 29, 2010

I bought my Solara SLE convertible (red, of course)used in Jan 04. Have driven it regularly, mostly with top down. Never had a lick of trouble. Eventually had to put on new tires and brakes. It is always garaged and gets regular oil changes. Paint and interior are perfect, no fading like some other cars. I like it so much I just bought a red 2007 Solara SLE convertible and am reluctantly parting with my 2002 - unless a grandchild claims it.

great quality

by D from OH | October 30, 2009

I've owned the car for about 5 years. No problems -- just replaced tires & fluids. Very quiet and smooth ride. Not a performance car to push hard through the corners, but a very spacious, comfortable car. Leather seats are supportive. Back seat is actually useable -- not common in a convertible. Reliability has been perfect. Power top operates quickly and smooth. Odd that power passenger seat wasn't an option. Would recommend.

Best car I have ever owned

by lbj from Overland Park, KS | March 16, 2009

I have not had one problem with my 2002 Solara SE in the 7 years that I have owned it. It is a one owner car. Liked it so much I bought a new one in 2008, it is a sport coupe, even better. Totally recommend Toyta Solaras.

Featured Services for this Toyota Camry Solara