1996 Toyota Camry

$500–$5,984

Overall

Great Long Lasting Vehicle

by Kim K. from Chicago, IL | March 16, 2014

I received this car as a gift from my boyfriend. It was his backup car given to him from his mom. It sat on the driveway for about a year till I received it in 2012. Though the car was in a bad frontal accident, it performs and run amazing. The only problems I ever had are just cosmetic and certain thing that rusts or go bad from age. I brought my car in for an oil change once and the mechanic told me he had a woman bring in the same exact car in with over 700k miles before the transmission blew on it. I heard the '96 Camry was the last model they made in Japan still before they started making factories in USA. I love this car and even though I'm planning to buy a new car still, I will keep this car till I drive it to the ground.

Unbelievable engine

by Toyota lover from Cincinnati, OH | January 23, 2013

My uncle gave me his 96 Toyota Camry early in 2010 and while I was only able to drive it for 2 1/2 yrs before I had to get rid of it, I got a lot out of it. It was given to me at about 140k miles, and I drove it to about 230k. It was such a reliable car, and I miss it every day. For the first yr and a half, I never needed to do anything except normal maintenance, but in the last yr, the wear and tear started to peek through. The freeze plugs kept rusting out, which are cheap parts, but expensive to have replaced. My car got so hot on one of these occasions (freeze plugs hold in your car's coolant) that it melted my distributor cap and put a hole in my radiator. That was the end of the Camry! The cost to get it fixed wasn't even worth the value of the car, so I had to say goodbye. I know the engine still had a lot of life left in it, so it really sucked to get rid of it. My advice to anyone thinking of buying this car would be to perform regular maintenance, and just to keep an eye on the temperature gauge, especially after 200k miles. Keeping that in mind, this car will run forever. I know it will surprise you as to how long it lasts.

Very Reliable

by Mike from Roswell New Mexico | March 6, 2012

I bought this car used in 1999 with 50,000 miles and Its a great car to get you from point A to point B. I have almost 300,000 miles on it and it is still running like the day I got it.

Solid Reliable Transportation

by Toyota Enthusiast from Releigh, NC | January 20, 2012

Purchased a 96 Camry with low mileage (<80K). Had previously owned two 95 Camry(s). Purchased from out of state small dealer. The Camry is very reliable, gets excellent gas mileage (32-33 mpg) at reasonable highway speeds. Good heating and A/C system. Very good value for the price paid. It is a very good second car for our family. Would purchase again. Planning on keeping vehicle for 6 to 10 years.

REVIEW of the 1996 toyota camry

by usher7 from lynnwood wa | August 16, 2011

hi my dad bot a toyota camry just like this one but we sold it for a 05 toyota tacoma it was sad because they where not going sell it they where going to put it in a junk yard but the car was great but if you buy one you will notice alote of road noice and its not that fun to drive the sterring is not as swift as the newer camrys but overall it is a great car to have but if you buy one I recommend the xle one it is nice and it comes with leather so it is a good car

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Retired skier from Boise, ID | July 9, 2011

I bought this car in 1996 new and have driven it all over the country, from OR to MN, and to AZ, and Palm Springs a total of about 8 trips. It is a great road car, with a good ride. Gets honest 29 miles to gallon on HW, and a little lower around town. I love this car, and am considering buying a Lexus to replace it, as I am retired and this will be my last big purchase. The car has been garaged so the paint is in good shape. It has factory deluxe wheels, and the only problem is they were clear coated and it has chipped off in places, so that is the only defect on the car and they were new when purchased. The car has only about 115,000 miles, as since I retired don't drive it as much as before.

Joes' car

by Joe from Muncie, IN | May 13, 2011

I just bought this car, and I have long been a Honda driver. I liked the automatic transmission in this car, but the seats in this car are not that fit to its body! For this reason, many people try to put something above the seat to raise themselves to have a better view of the car.

very good cars even stronger than some later model

by camry don from new york | April 8, 2011

but for its age plus the millage on this one thats a rediculous price but as we speak i reallywant another camry 94-96 cars to love

Oh sooo reliable!

by Mang Von Furstenburg from Indiana | October 12, 2010

Purchased mine brand new in 1995. 162k miles and still runs like a brand new car. Engine is so smooth.

Phenomenal Car

by Chicago Guy from Chicago, Illinois | August 20, 2010

Bought my 96 XLE used in 2001 with about 35K miles. Drove it for 8 1/2 years... put on about another 50K or so more in that time. What a great, reliable car. Very speedy, comfortable interior, always a pleasure to drive. This is the car that first sold me on Toyotas. I've been a big fan ever since (traded this in for a Sienna--had 3 kids and Camry wasnt big enough any more :-) Had some minor service issues over that time: tires, leaky trans fluid at one point.... but nothing that wasnt easily fixed. This is a phenomenal car.

Featured Services for this Toyota Camry