1998 Toyota Camry

1998 Toyota Camry
Available in 6 styles:  Camry 4dr Sedan CE shown
$826–$6,410

Overall

Goes on, and on, and on ....

by Abjee from Chicago, IL | June 6, 2015

I am the second owner of this car, purchased in 2007 from my uncle with 37K miles on it. So far after that I have driven several cars and models (both V4 and V6 varieties), but Toyota Camry 1998 is a clear winner in the long term. Extremely comfortable and silent ride for its class! Handling is nimble and it tackles corners with ease. After 16 years and 140K miles, I believe the car has paid me back twice over in "satisfaction bucks". Very few repairs, and they are cheap. Service and aftermarket parts are always available and they work pretty well. It was driven for 10 years on snow so the bottom is rusted, but no squeeks or softness yet in the ride, the engine still sounds like new and gearshift and brakes are smooth. So far the big-ticket repairs incurred were a leak in power-steering, and the engine light went on because of another leak in an exhaust compartment, both of which took ~$500-1000 each to finally fix. Other than that I have spent very little on the vehicle maintenance, given that I still take it out for 1500 mile road-trips 2-3 times every year. Hope to own it for 200K miles.

Most Reliable Vehicle We Have Ever Owned!!

by Leyna from Pa | April 16, 2015

We bought this care used, when our Dodge Intrepid repair costs were off the charts. Never regretted it. This car is a work horse, never lets us down. Have thought about selling it at times because it is quite old, but it's the one vehicle that we can always rely on. It rides nice, has great pickup and even though it is 17 years old, we would not hesitate to take it cross country, that is how confident we feel behind the wheel of this car. About the only thing we don't care about, is the exterior, it is not much to look at., but its reliability won us over. It handles great in the winter, all the power equipment works great also!! Will probably keep it until it quits, which at this point are not sure that will ever happen!!

Most Reliable I've owed

by Camry1998 from Houston, TX | April 5, 2015

Had my 98 Camry xle V6 since 2000, 212k on it now. Won't break, it's like bullet proof. Black, with leahter and grain, goes by KITT. Timing belt once recently, i'm about to get new ignition coils, ngk plugs and wires and give it a tune up. But drives perfect as is, it's just how i treat it. And i go KYB on the suspension struts/shocks, you will love this car long time. I love this car, i'd buy it again, and again. Cheap and easy to work on, readily available parts and plenty in junk yards, very popular and #1 selling at times in the USA. It's a fun drive.

Can't get any more reliable

by CC from Bellevue, WA | January 28, 2015

I purchased my 1998 Camry new off of the lot. After 17 years I can clearly say it's the best car I have ever owned. I just turned over 90k miles, so I figure I have another 17 years to go!! I've done minimal repairs but do have it serviced regularly. Not great in the snow and wish, after all these years, that I had gone with the leather interior. Why would I give this car up...no way! This day in age it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the new cars do, but I'm OK with that.

NO WORRIES!!! BEST EVER!!

by toyota for ever from grand rapids, mi | September 12, 2014

393,000 MILES and still purrrrrs like a kitten. Had a 97 le as well and put 357,000 miles on it. Most reliable used car to date. I have done the minimum maintenance over the years ...brakes, tires, only 1 radiator, 2 timing belts, and believe it or not..average oil change every 15,000 miles. Had lower seals replaced about 250,000 miles, $500, it obviously leaked a little. I drive on average 800miles a week and I put about a quart of oil a week in. I am now looking for another Camry 97-2000. Best engine for the $.

Very few repairs!!!

by Joni Baloney from Springfield, MO | June 24, 2014

Purchased this car (used) in 2001 at 35,000 miles. Many years later, I'm just reaching 90,000 miles. I've had to do very few repairs to this car! I avoided foreign-made for many, many years - I just didn't feel that they were as solid and safe as American-made. However, I've become a true believer in Toyota! This car is the lightest car that I've ever owned so the traction in rain (feels like it hydroplanes a little at 55mph or greater) and snow does leave a lot to be desired. I'm sure the tires and the weight of the car have a lot to do with this so I am looking to buy a bigger car (maybe a compact SUV) in the next couple of years.

Almost too Good

by Daily Commuter from Orland Park, IL | March 3, 2014

I bought this car used with 24K miles on it on Sept. 10, 2001. Needless to say, nobody cared about seeing my new car the next day! I bought the Camry because my wife was pregnant with our first child and I wanted something reliable. We brought him home from the hospital in it 13 days later. Today, he's almost as tall as I am and the Camry is still running great at 163,000 miles. I almost want it to break down so I can get a new car, but it runs so great, I can't justify it! I haven't had a car payment in 9 years, which will help with college payments for both my kids.

Very good car

by Toyota from Frederick MD | March 1, 2014

Reliable person and very easy to talk to and he care about his customers. He is easily to reach by phone. The car is good quality.

Very reliable and smooth. 15 yrs later.145k miles

by NJite from Edison, NJ | March 16, 2013

I bought this in January 1998 (Camry LE) and green in color. The color has not even faded that much despite parking ins scorching heat in NJ. Very reliable. I found a great Japanese Auto mechanic in Highland Park, NJ and they are so honest and reliable, that I hardly pay I used to be charged by the toyota dealers. I would avoid dealers once warranty is over.

Toyota Camry 1998 - Owner

by Badcuban from | February 17, 2013

I have a camry 1998, ive been fixing it up and i love it. My car has only 115k miles and runs great. I am doing an all engine tune up also. Making this car great for racing asswell.

Featured Services for this Toyota Camry