2013 Toyota Camry

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Toyota slipping???

by paragon from Iowa | June 7, 2014

Over the years we have bought 2 brand new Corollas and this will be our 3rd brand new Camry. Bought this new in 2013, bought the SE model, and noticed on this first long trip the front seats are brutally uncomfortable. We now actually choose to rent a car when we go on trips over 4 hours - this car is simply too uncomfortable for long trips. Even an hour trip is not pleasant. The touch screen radio in the day time is an absolute joke. You cannot see the screen on the highest setting and whoever designed this should be demoted to janitor and stripped of their professional engineering license -- assuming they have one of course. Otherwise, great car. Overall disappointed considering this is our 5th brand new Toyota. John - Iowa

solid as a rock

by scotty too hotty from red lion pa | May 16, 2014

I owned this 2013 Camry SE for about a year, I drive it on weekends and on long trips. I love this car, all of my expectations are being met or exceeded. The only gripe I have is some of the plastics in the interior appears to be very cheap. I love the Toyota care experience at the dealership.

New Camry has design flaws especially in SE model

by Chetan Camry SE (redesigned current generation'12) from WOODBURY, MN | April 15, 2014

New redesigned Camry (current generation) has design flaws especially in SE model I own the 2012 Toyota Camry SE 4 cylinder model & I regret buying the Camry & that too SE model in specific. If one is buying Camry then suggest read my below review & especially for SE version think twice because of experience on below issues. My below issues are exactly not defects but design flaws which even NHTSA will not force Toyota to resolve. Please note that mine is single driver car & I use it smoothly & always maintain it more than what it requires. 1) SE model steering is unusually stiff & steering ratio is not correct & steering makes some gusss gusss sound... I do understand the SE is sports edition & hence steering is stiff. Firstly if you hear carefully then one can hear the mechanical gusss gusss sound on steering wheel rotation when taking off initially. This kind of gusss gusss mechanical sound is not there even in Elantra sports edition which is also sports steering. On top of it being mechanically stiff rather than motorized stiff and not smooth, it has another big problem. Usually all stiff sports tuned steering require shorter steering wheel rotation but this one is opposite. It requires more rotation unlike other sports editions like in Accord or Sonata. Just imagine what it means to driving daily? Toyota didn't design the components & steering ratio properly for SE. One will not notice this in one test drive but definitely after couple of test drives or after owning it like me. 2) SE model suspension doesn't absorb all the bumps and more over slightest of tiny pot holes are also transferred into the cabin. I understand the SE is sports tuned & slightly 15% stiffer than regular Camry but that doesn't mean it should be designed badly? Even the slightest road irregularities like very tiny pot holes, a slight 5 mm thick line on the road / even some cases road markings (white/yellow paints) are all translated into the cabin with a noise & feel as well. Is this the price you pay for $28,000 car? No way you can compare this with Sports edition of of Sonata & Accord. 3) SE model road noise is too much. I previously owned 2007 Sonata GLS & even in year 2012 its cabin & suspension sound was quite & smooth. But this 2012 Camry SE makes huge amount of Road noise & sometimes suspension sound too. I think what happened was for SE, Toyota made the suspension 15% strong & put the larger tires but failed to redesign the sound absorption/sound deadening accordingly. Other than Camry SE model this issue is not there on L, LE models. I can confirm that. 4) Ergonomics & Build Quality - Vibration issues, Windshield Glare, missing attention to details on all Camry models. I ask the readers to just do one simple test & Camry will fail instantly. Put all the Accord, Camry and Sonata in parking mode try to feel the vibrations through steering & gear knob. In Camry one can easily feel the steering wheel vibration and even the car vibrations too which new Sonata and Accord and Passat do very well. Next Camry leaves lot of dashboard glare on to the windshield especially during bright/sunlight conditions. Next let’s go to Camry instrument cluster. To save cost Toyota have provided 2 push sticks to change instrument cluster settings like display, brightness, Avg Consumption etc. But that push stick control design is so poor that it lets in the dust into the cluster directly. This in contrast to 2013 Accord/CRV they also have done the same thing but with difference that, they have insulated to make sure no dust/water goes inside the instrument cluster (dust/water proofing). There are other issues too like power windows operation/feel is not as smooth as Passat and here Passat feels like built to last. Will never buy Toyota again & if anybody finds faults/wrongs with whatever I told then let me know, I can prove that I am correct in whatever I told above. Thanks, Chetan V Shirol

Honest review on 2013 Toyota Camry XLE - 4 cyl

by Rancho from Charllotte,nc | April 5, 2014

Purchased as brand new in 2013 and drove about 15 K miles as of today. Drove and researched several others before settling on Camry. Owned other brands ( Mitsubishi, Honda, Kia) in past. Pros: Smooth ride, comfortable, great interior, quiet inside, reliable. Decent on gas ( 27-28 mpg in mixed driving), 4 cylinder is good. Rear seat is roomy enough to fit 2 car seats & adult can sit in. Cons: Looks are not good, tail lights are ugly ( atleast of guy in thirties ...lol)

Not what I expected or wanted--and toxic to boot!

by Woody from Alabama | March 21, 2014

We traded our beloved 2012 Prius on a 2013 Camry XLE in hopes of more room and comfort. The Camry drives fair, mileage is 34 highway, 29 overall. Despite the upgrade to the XLE and heated leather, the seats are very hard and uncomfortable for anything more than an hour. The A/C molds up every time it is used. Worse, even when recently cleaned by Toyota, it emits what I can only describe as a toxin or allergen that causes our eyes to water, our noses to run, and gives us sore throats. Even after short distances, my wife and I are both ill. Toyota decided to call the problem a "smell," and said it cannot be fixed. We went to mandatory arbitration and found they chose "smell" because they could win by saying "smells" are not manufacturing defects. So, we are stuck with an uncomfortable car that must be driven with the windows down, or we have to wear VOC masks to keep from getting ill. We have owned many Toyotas, but this is our last.

2013 Toyota Camry L

by Cliff from Birmingham, AL | February 19, 2014

I'm a car enthusiast. There, now that we've got that out of the way, I can say that I actually happen to like the whipping boy of the automotive journalism industry. I've owned number of vehicles, ranging from taut and sporty to big and comfortable, and have driven many more. The Toyota Camry definitely fits into the latter category; however, from 2012 onward the Camry has been stiffened up and made a bit more driver-centric (though you'd never know that from the mass loathing this car gets on the internet). Comparing cars MSRP to MSRP, the Camry is hardly favorable against more exciting entries into the the mid-size competition (See the Honda Accord or Mazda 6). However, as the reigning king of sales, Toyota is giving major discounts on many models to stay competitive. In this case, I purchased a new base-model Camry L upgraded with keyless entry and the XLE's leather upholstery and still undercut the MSRP by almost six large. The 2.5L four-pot puts out 178 horses and 170 lb-ft of twist at the front axle, which makes it slightly less powerful than most of it's competition. Fortunately, at roughly 3200 pounds dry, it's also one of the lightest mid-sizers. The engine is creamy-smooth, rev-happy, and delivers a surprising amount of low-end grunt. The standard 6-speed automatic gearbox is also smooth and rarely gets in its on way during hard acceleration or passing maneuvers, and the selectable manual or "sport" mode operates smoothly and relatively obediently. The engine regularly returns just below its promised 30mpg mixed (my measurements put the exact number around 29), but I've (briefly) seen the fuel mileage crack 37mpg. Not bad at all. Much has been made of the numb steering, and while the wheel does not communicate information from the front wheels very well, it's significantly improved from previous models. It's still over-boosted and extremely light, but it's also linear and still loads up slightly in effort off-center. The chassis and suspension are not exactly sporty, but the car feels capable and solidly planted. The ride is pillowy-soft, but controlled; an improvement over the boat-like characteristics of early models. Due to the overly light steering effort, however, expect to make small adjustments relatively frequently. Regardless, this car eats highway miles with absolute ease. The interior is quiet, refined, but frankly dated in design. Which is perfectly fine by me, because it's spacious and functional and ergonomical. I do question the completely hard plastic door inserts and the odd Fisher-Price grade plastic with fake stitching around the lower half of the center stack, but otherwise the cabin is a nice place to spend a lot of time. Wide, soft seats keep the driver comfortable (I'm 6'3" and 170 pounds, so your comfort might vary). The standard six-speaker audio and infotainment system is excellent; standing toe-to-toe with my wife's 10-speaker Bose outfitted in her car (and I'm an audiophile). Overall, the look isn't appreciably modern, but it feels relatively upscale and avoids the cheesy Star-Wars-setpiece design cues of other competition. Exterior styling is a matter of taste. It's overly conservative, yes, but the lack of forward and rearward windshield raking means the cabin is more airy and the rear seats more roomy than in the Fusion, 6, or Optima. Despite it's been-there-done-that visual cues, it still looks much better than the Passat or the already-aging Sonata, and it avoids aping supercars it has no competition with, a la Fusion. Again, if making a visual statement is all you care about, go with the Kia Optima or 6. Overall, the Toyota remains the most conservative choice in the mid-size market. It does everything well and nothing poorly, and it's driving character has improved significantly over previous models. Other options are "better" (Again, Accord or 6 come to mind), but when dealers frequently undercut the MSRP by 3-4 grand, you can't go wrong - especially with typical Toyota low maintenance costs and strong resale value. Definitely gets my recommendation.

Third Camry

by Stick'em from Greater Indianapolis | January 28, 2014

This is the third Camry I've owned. First one was a 2002 LE. I put 225,000 miles on it and the only thing that broke down was the water pump started leaking about 3 months before I traded it in on a new 2012 Camry XLE. It averaged about 32-33 mpg year in and year out, combined. The 2012 was the new restyle. Another excellent car. I put 48,500 miles on this one and traded for the 2013 XLE with only 6500 miles on the odometer. I look forward to many more years of driving enjoyment. I know, it isn't super shape looking, but it is good enough. The performance is fine, great gas mileage for a mid-size 4 cylinder and good comfort and quiet too.

Window problems

by Steve from Salem, nh | January 19, 2014

The weather striping on all door windows doesn't keep water nor leaves and pine needs out. Stripping doesn't even touch the glass. Dealer says designed that way. This doesn't make it right, Toyota doesn't Care water is entering the door and on all of the components ,long term rust and damage. All of my cars always allowed the window to be rolled down and up wiping the moisture from the glass Disappointed

Pretty Decent car.

by Los Angeles Commuter from Los Angeles, CA | January 19, 2014

I bought this Camry new in the SE trim with the 4 cyl. I commute in stop-and-go LA traffic, averaging about 20-25 mpg, which is pretty good for any car when you're sitting in gridlock most of the time. On open freeways, I can do about 30-35 mpg easily, but only if it's on a flat surface. The car tends to have a problem with hills, even the slightest upgrades can cause violent downshifts putting the engine at 2500 rpm just trying to keep up at 65 mph. It also likes to go fast on downhills and it forces me to smoosh the brakes. I do drive on California hills a lot, and it can get pretty annoying and wastes money. I didn't care for the exterior styling, but Toyota definitely did make up for it on the inside. The materials for the most part are soft to the touch and the dashboard looks beautiful, but there are some plastics that are just too cheap and cause rattles. In colder climates, I've noticed some rattling in the dashboard, but that is to be expected for a car that's sub-25k. I put about 15k miles, all of them trouble free so far. The ride is decent, though I prefer the ride on the LE or XLE as the SE is a little too stiff for my tastes, but I think it comes down to personal preference. Definitely a car I recommend to test drive if you're in the market for an affordable midsize sedan

Beware of dash rattles!!!

by First Time Camry Owner from Orlando | December 22, 2013

I purchased a brand new 2013 LE Camry in September 2013, and I love driving the car. But I never thought to check any forums on rattles in the cabin, as this is a baby Lexus, right? I live in Florida and the car had zero rattles in the dash until the temperature started getting cooler (from the 80's and 90's in September/October to the 60' and 70's in November). I then noticed a buzz while freeway driving near the top center of the dash, and it appears to be where the leather covered dash meets the hard CHEAP plastic center cover that houses the light sensor and clock/computer radio interface. If you tap the palm of your hand in the dash, you can hear hard plastic/wires(???) rattle and buzz. The car appeared to be quite solid when new, and I am now considering contacting the dealer to have the upper dash re-installed after wrapping or padding whatever is rubbing against the dash. It almost appears they forgot to secure or wrap padding on plastic parts, as this certainly shouldn't be the case. It appears that the different typed of plastic used in the dash expand and contract at different rates while the temperature changes. When it is HOT outside, no rattles. Now, Rattles. I own a 20 year old 1993 accord that still does not rattle in dash!