2013 Toyota Camry

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Honest review on 2013 Toyota Camry XLE - 4 cyl

by Rancho from Charllotte,nc | April 5, 2014

Purchased as brand new in 2013 and drove about 15 K miles as of today. Drove and researched several others before settling on Camry. Owned other brands ( Mitsubishi, Honda, Kia) in past. Pros: Smooth ride, comfortable, great interior, quiet inside, reliable. Decent on gas ( 27-28 mpg in mixed driving), 4 cylinder is good. Rear seat is roomy enough to fit 2 car seats & adult can sit in. Cons: Looks are not good, tail lights are ugly ( atleast of guy in thirties ...lol)

Not what I expected or wanted--and toxic to boot!

by Woody from Alabama | March 21, 2014

We traded our beloved 2012 Prius on a 2013 Camry XLE in hopes of more room and comfort. The Camry drives fair, mileage is 34 highway, 29 overall. Despite the upgrade to the XLE and heated leather, the seats are very hard and uncomfortable for anything more than an hour. The A/C molds up every time it is used. Worse, even when recently cleaned by Toyota, it emits what I can only describe as a toxin or allergen that causes our eyes to water, our noses to run, and gives us sore throats. Even after short distances, my wife and I are both ill. Toyota decided to call the problem a "smell," and said it cannot be fixed. We went to mandatory arbitration and found they chose "smell" because they could win by saying "smells" are not manufacturing defects. So, we are stuck with an uncomfortable car that must be driven with the windows down, or we have to wear VOC masks to keep from getting ill. We have owned many Toyotas, but this is our last.

2013 Toyota Camry L

by Cliff from Birmingham, AL | February 19, 2014

I'm a car enthusiast. There, now that we've got that out of the way, I can say that I actually happen to like the whipping boy of the automotive journalism industry. I've owned number of vehicles, ranging from taut and sporty to big and comfortable, and have driven many more. The Toyota Camry definitely fits into the latter category; however, from 2012 onward the Camry has been stiffened up and made a bit more driver-centric (though you'd never know that from the mass loathing this car gets on the internet). Comparing cars MSRP to MSRP, the Camry is hardly favorable against more exciting entries into the the mid-size competition (See the Honda Accord or Mazda 6). However, as the reigning king of sales, Toyota is giving major discounts on many models to stay competitive. In this case, I purchased a new base-model Camry L upgraded with keyless entry and the XLE's leather upholstery and still undercut the MSRP by almost six large. The 2.5L four-pot puts out 178 horses and 170 lb-ft of twist at the front axle, which makes it slightly less powerful than most of it's competition. Fortunately, at roughly 3200 pounds dry, it's also one of the lightest mid-sizers. The engine is creamy-smooth, rev-happy, and delivers a surprising amount of low-end grunt. The standard 6-speed automatic gearbox is also smooth and rarely gets in its on way during hard acceleration or passing maneuvers, and the selectable manual or "sport" mode operates smoothly and relatively obediently. The engine regularly returns just below its promised 30mpg mixed (my measurements put the exact number around 29), but I've (briefly) seen the fuel mileage crack 37mpg. Not bad at all. Much has been made of the numb steering, and while the wheel does not communicate information from the front wheels very well, it's significantly improved from previous models. It's still over-boosted and extremely light, but it's also linear and still loads up slightly in effort off-center. The chassis and suspension are not exactly sporty, but the car feels capable and solidly planted. The ride is pillowy-soft, but controlled; an improvement over the boat-like characteristics of early models. Due to the overly light steering effort, however, expect to make small adjustments relatively frequently. Regardless, this car eats highway miles with absolute ease. The interior is quiet, refined, but frankly dated in design. Which is perfectly fine by me, because it's spacious and functional and ergonomical. I do question the completely hard plastic door inserts and the odd Fisher-Price grade plastic with fake stitching around the lower half of the center stack, but otherwise the cabin is a nice place to spend a lot of time. Wide, soft seats keep the driver comfortable (I'm 6'3" and 170 pounds, so your comfort might vary). The standard six-speaker audio and infotainment system is excellent; standing toe-to-toe with my wife's 10-speaker Bose outfitted in her car (and I'm an audiophile). Overall, the look isn't appreciably modern, but it feels relatively upscale and avoids the cheesy Star-Wars-setpiece design cues of other competition. Exterior styling is a matter of taste. It's overly conservative, yes, but the lack of forward and rearward windshield raking means the cabin is more airy and the rear seats more roomy than in the Fusion, 6, or Optima. Despite it's been-there-done-that visual cues, it still looks much better than the Passat or the already-aging Sonata, and it avoids aping supercars it has no competition with, a la Fusion. Again, if making a visual statement is all you care about, go with the Kia Optima or 6. Overall, the Toyota remains the most conservative choice in the mid-size market. It does everything well and nothing poorly, and it's driving character has improved significantly over previous models. Other options are "better" (Again, Accord or 6 come to mind), but when dealers frequently undercut the MSRP by 3-4 grand, you can't go wrong - especially with typical Toyota low maintenance costs and strong resale value. Definitely gets my recommendation.

Third Camry

by Stick'em from Greater Indianapolis | January 28, 2014

This is the third Camry I've owned. First one was a 2002 LE. I put 225,000 miles on it and the only thing that broke down was the water pump started leaking about 3 months before I traded it in on a new 2012 Camry XLE. It averaged about 32-33 mpg year in and year out, combined. The 2012 was the new restyle. Another excellent car. I put 48,500 miles on this one and traded for the 2013 XLE with only 6500 miles on the odometer. I look forward to many more years of driving enjoyment. I know, it isn't super shape looking, but it is good enough. The performance is fine, great gas mileage for a mid-size 4 cylinder and good comfort and quiet too.

Window problems

by Steve from Salem, nh | January 19, 2014

The weather striping on all door windows doesn't keep water nor leaves and pine needs out. Stripping doesn't even touch the glass. Dealer says designed that way. This doesn't make it right, Toyota doesn't Care water is entering the door and on all of the components ,long term rust and damage. All of my cars always allowed the window to be rolled down and up wiping the moisture from the glass Disappointed

Pretty Decent car.

by Los Angeles Commuter from Los Angeles, CA | January 19, 2014

I bought this Camry new in the SE trim with the 4 cyl. I commute in stop-and-go LA traffic, averaging about 20-25 mpg, which is pretty good for any car when you're sitting in gridlock most of the time. On open freeways, I can do about 30-35 mpg easily, but only if it's on a flat surface. The car tends to have a problem with hills, even the slightest upgrades can cause violent downshifts putting the engine at 2500 rpm just trying to keep up at 65 mph. It also likes to go fast on downhills and it forces me to smoosh the brakes. I do drive on California hills a lot, and it can get pretty annoying and wastes money. I didn't care for the exterior styling, but Toyota definitely did make up for it on the inside. The materials for the most part are soft to the touch and the dashboard looks beautiful, but there are some plastics that are just too cheap and cause rattles. In colder climates, I've noticed some rattling in the dashboard, but that is to be expected for a car that's sub-25k. I put about 15k miles, all of them trouble free so far. The ride is decent, though I prefer the ride on the LE or XLE as the SE is a little too stiff for my tastes, but I think it comes down to personal preference. Definitely a car I recommend to test drive if you're in the market for an affordable midsize sedan

Beware of dash rattles!!!

by First Time Camry Owner from Orlando | December 22, 2013

I purchased a brand new 2013 LE Camry in September 2013, and I love driving the car. But I never thought to check any forums on rattles in the cabin, as this is a baby Lexus, right? I live in Florida and the car had zero rattles in the dash until the temperature started getting cooler (from the 80's and 90's in September/October to the 60' and 70's in November). I then noticed a buzz while freeway driving near the top center of the dash, and it appears to be where the leather covered dash meets the hard CHEAP plastic center cover that houses the light sensor and clock/computer radio interface. If you tap the palm of your hand in the dash, you can hear hard plastic/wires(???) rattle and buzz. The car appeared to be quite solid when new, and I am now considering contacting the dealer to have the upper dash re-installed after wrapping or padding whatever is rubbing against the dash. It almost appears they forgot to secure or wrap padding on plastic parts, as this certainly shouldn't be the case. It appears that the different typed of plastic used in the dash expand and contract at different rates while the temperature changes. When it is HOT outside, no rattles. Now, Rattles. I own a 20 year old 1993 accord that still does not rattle in dash!

Camry

by john the greek from Attleboro, MA | October 29, 2013

Wonderful car. Good choice for my husband and myself. Would recommend this car to a single person or family. Much more room than anticipated.

Love my Camry

by KurtL from Minneapolis, MN | October 22, 2013

I am leasing a 2013 Camry SE. Have been a Nissan guy for the past 15 years (owned 4 infiniti's and one Maxima) and thought a change may convince me how good Nissans really are. Big mistake!! Toyota Camry is one of, if not the best vehicle I have owned since I was a young man. Looks are great. Fuel mileage in the 30's is fabulous and the roomy comfort of both the interior and trunk are something special. All the little add on's are great. More cupholders, better radio system and sound is outstanding. So far, so good. I only have 3000+ miles on this baby and am planning on buying it in 33 months irregardless of my opinion at that time. Such a great deal leasing from these folks that I would highly recommend Toyota to my friends. Thanks Toyota, I am now a believer!!!

owner of 2013 Camry SE

by M. from Los Angeles, CA | October 20, 2013

I was a Toyota owner for 10 years, a happy one, but this new Camry SE 2013 that I bought in April 2013 was a big disappointment! The first few days after driving the car, my husband and I noticed some whispering noise in the transmission when the car was slowing down. After one week driving, we took it back to the dealer and they drove the car and told us that it is normal as it is a brand new car and we just need to give it some time! After about 4000 mileage driving, not only the noise didn't go away but it got louder. We took it back to the dealer two times and after inspections, they told us that the transmission noise (when slowing down) is characteristics of this car and they can't do anything?! We called again to Toyota Corporation and after several follow-ups they finally told us that they can't do anything as the noise coming from transmission is the characteristics of this car and we must accept it! This is really disappointing answer as we were expecting they would have come up with a solution to resolve this problem. We no longer trust Toyota and not happy the way the corporation responded to our concern as they left it to us to do whatever we want!