2001 Toyota Celica

2001 Toyota Celica

Available in 2 styles:  2001 Toyota Celica 2dr Hatchback shown

Overall

Do not buy a 200-2003 GT (1ZZ engine)

by Anony from Burlington, NC | June 14, 2014

This car has its ups and downs. The only reason you should not purchase a GT model is because after 100k miles on a GT model the car starts to burn oil fast. Regular oil burns at 1500 miles synthetic only lasts 1700-1800 after you get an oil change. Averagely for me however and I barely drive the car around. The longer you drive the car in a day the faster the oil will burn. The GTS model (2ZZ) does not burn any oil to begin with. I didn't know this problem existed but all celicas from 2000-2003 have this problem that are a GT sub model. Unless you're using this car for a project car go ahead but otherwise don't buy it. Everything else about the car is fine I wish it had better performance though and driving in the snow is really hard to do with this car. Interior is alright I keep it looking brand new everyday so that doesn't bother me. It should be considered to be a 2-3 seater every time I have 2 other friends riding with me I make one of them lay in the back since there isn't enough room in the back.

Favorite All Time Car

by Philipem from Arizona | December 28, 2013

My Celica GTS 2001 was rear-ended last weekend and is totaled. But the safety of the car is evident, I and my passenger were uninjured even though we were hit by a much larger vehicle (Chevy Tahoe) going at least 25 mph faster than we were. I owned this car for 10 years. The reason I wanted to write a review though is despite the age (13 years) of the car the payoff is almost $9000. Now this car had almost every option (but 6 spd manual) offered and was very low mileage (79K) but that is much higher than any blue book. I bought it used as a good deal, low mileage, $16K in 2003 and it has cost me $700 per year to own! Beat that anywhere?? Still has original brakes, handles like a dream, I did have one repair - replace the clutch, and I've never worn out a clutch before so I think that's the prior owner maybe...otherwise it looked and ran like the day it was born. At any rate, if you can find one in good shape buy it. You won't be sorry. So much fun, cheap to run, and versatile (you can put a TON of stuff in it if you fold the seats forward).

Bad buy

by Andrew from | July 1, 2013

i have had this car in the past and it honestly brought me some problems. I guess the car is nice looking, but its not a wow car. My opinion is that this car is not all that great, take it from someone who has had it already.

romeo the handsome

by kelly from La Verne, CA | May 20, 2013

Everyone at Route 66 Motors was very helpful and took their time to assist us in buying the Celica. They let me take the car to my mechanic, answered all of my questions, and gave me a great deal, as well as letting both me and my mom test drive the car. I would like to specifically thank "Romeothe Handsome" and Casey for their exceptional service.

Best car

by Love my car! from louisville, Ky | July 12, 2010

I have had my 2001 Celica since 2004. With 138k miles have only had to replace the temp gauge. Oil changes and cleaning are the most labor intensive thing I have had to do! When everyone else is complaining about gas, and buying gas friendly cars, I was laughing every 3 weeks when I actually had to get gas. Love this car! I will drive it until it falls apart.

Most reliable car I have ever owned

by Rxdude from Texas | March 6, 2010

I have a 2001 Toyota Celica GT. I bought my car back in the spring of 2007. I still have this car today. I bought this car with 120,000 miles, and it has almost 200,000 miles today. I have NEVER had one single problem with it. Oil changes, tires, and a good wax job every now and then is all it has needed. Correction, I did have to replace the battery one time, but I don't think that really counts. It drives, and looks as good as the day I bought it. I would totally recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable, fun, and low maintenance car. I wish Toyota still made these cars, I would buy another one.

No problems,No worries

by NYC/Long Island Driver 28yrs old from Long Island,ny | February 23, 2009

I purchased the 2001 celica gts brand new. It now has 140,000 miles on it and it runs the same way as day one.Its so fun to drive because the handle is so good. you can drive 55 or 95 and you will still have complete control over it.More importantly i have never had any problems with the car at all.Oil changes and brakes,thats it.The car is eight years old and still looks good on the road.Im getting 30 mpg highway which is another plus.I test drove an 05 mustang and the celica has more interior room than it.I also own a 05 acura tl and while its a more powerful car the celica's handle is way better than it.My wife always drives the tl and i drive the celica and i could care less.i love this car

my first car

by Shrimp from | December 5, 2008

i bought the 2001 toyota celica gts it is better than all of the vehicles that my parents have had. i have to keep the keys with me so that my dad doesnt disappear with it. this car has powerband that kicks in at 6 thousand rpm. the one thing that i dont like is the dual overhead cam because you have to be very careful that you dont break the timing chain which is what mine has you have to keep it oiled up so that it doesnt stick and break. also they could have a timing belt on some of the other years which you have to check every 60,000 miles to make sure that the belt is not worn because if it snaps you will have big problems but over all interior is good except as low as it sits i noticed that my drivers seat is getting a little worn in one certain place but that can be fixed with a seat cover. overall this is a very nice vehicle and really does get the gas mileage that they say it does and would recomend it for anyone

best handling car I've ever driven

by Todd from | November 8, 2008

slick car, great lines and knows how to handle the roads. I love to drive this car. Toyota's last forever!

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!

by CELIDRIVER from Charlotte, NC | March 7, 2007

I get so many compliments on my Celica! I wouldn't drive anything else. It is so reliable! I would recommend this car to anyone who needs a great looking car that will last.

Featured Services for this Toyota Celica