1999 Toyota Corolla

31 city / 38 hwy

Overall

Most Reliable Car Ever

by Corolla Owner from NJ | January 3, 2014

My 99 has 325K and still going strong. My first spark plug change was at 230K and it finally started sipping oil...about 1qt per 1K. Only work I've done to the car was a valve cover gasket, spark plugs, plug leads, and a cat. Oil change every 3K. I'm averaging 33mpg and I'll drive it till it completely dies. Unfortunately, I've driven the new, '13 and '14, Corollas and they don't seem to stack up. Granted they're new, but I get the feeling that they simply won't last as long as my '99. Sadly I may have to change to a Sentra for my next car. If you can get one of these with 150K or less, go for it, I don't think you could kill this car with anything less than a bulldozer..

I've been looking for a car like this for 40 years

by frugalista from Porter, Tx | February 18, 2013

I recently (Oct 2012) bought this car used. When I first starting looking for a reliable, no frills car back in the early 70's, I looked at Corollas but couldn't afford one as a college student. Now I finally found a good 1999 model with only 55,000 miles. If it lasts as long as I hear the Corollas will last, I will be dead before it wears out. Being 13 years old, the car has some interior and exterior cosmetic problems but it is very reliable transportation for getting to work. It has a more comfortable ride than my mom's 2009 Honda Fit. With the manual transmission, I get 35 - 37 mpg in mixed driving. It has adequate power for entering traffic and passing. I would strongly recommend this car to anyone needing basic, reliable, no frills transportation.

Really good car

by High schooler from Reno NV | December 5, 2012

This is my first car I have a LE 4cyl Auto and its a great car. I'm 5'7" and I drive with the seat all the way back however it isn't extremely small except for the back seat. Mine has 153K miles and is still running well they are good cars reliable not powerful but gets to 70-75 easily stereo is good good fuel economy I get about 31 mpg

Great Car for the money

by Casanova from Gevena,OH | June 16, 2011

This cars go for ever. I seen them with over 200,000 miles on the eng. and still going. You wont be desopointed at all.. Great buy for the money..!!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Eluena from Seattle, WA | January 1, 2011

I bought this car in August, 1999. I take care of it with proper maintenance, etc. I have never had a problem with it. Car is dependable and it's going strong at 136,000 miles. I'm moving and shipping it back to Pacific Islands. I'll stay with Toyota!

Best car Ive had

by ToYota from Columbus,OH | January 31, 2010

Bought mine with 130 miles and it now has 210K and still runs like the day i got it. Unfortuneately we have moved to the country and we have hit 4 deer but car was very protective and easily repaired with no permanant damage.

very very very relaible

by amazing car from nj | September 12, 2009

This car is AMAZING, very reliable. with 152,500 miles the car is almost new, starts EVERY time no problem at all. The ride is a little harsh but good, and good gas mileage. its a good small car

1999 Corolla

by Jay from | March 29, 2009

Very reliable small car. Fuel efficient and easy to work on. Easy to find parts and they are pretty cheap. Rides smooth on the city streets and on the highway.

Great value for the Buck

by corolla Lover from north fork,ca | December 14, 2008

Have had mine for 350001 miles now and have never had the valve cover off,just regular maint.and oil changes every 4 to 5000 miles and lots and lots of commuting ,220 miles a day for four years, plus still doing a hundred a day now and feel like i can still trust it with my daughter driving it to high school next year...Great car and i will buy another one soon...

Pretty good car

by mav from Southern California | November 22, 2008

I've had this 1999 Corolla CE for a few months now. It was inexpensive to buy and insure. No maintenance costs so far. It provides a comfortable ride and is less punishing on my spine than my old Civic. Performance is in line with its 120 horses, which is to say it is adequate but far from powerful. It corners without much drama and comes to a stop from speed fairly quickly. The interior is small, especially for the rear-seat passengers where there is hardly any useful legroom. Controls are simple and placed logically. Trunk space is bigger than expected for a car in this class. Fuel economy has generally been great. Never sat down and calculated it, but I'm at the gas station so infrequently now and filling the 13 gallon tank is not expensive. I've done rough math in my head and figure to be getting 30 mpg at a minimum in mixed driving. It's a nice little car. Recommended.