2002 Toyota Echo

2002 Toyota Echo

Available in 2 styles:  2002 Toyota Echo 2dr Sedan shown

34 city / 41 hwy

Overall

Most reliable car! Better mileage than hybrid!

by Purser059 from Sun City, Arizona | February 4, 2013

Bill, at Glenside Toyota in Glenside PA was great! I live in Arizona and he made buying the car an easy efficient process! Car exceeds my expectations. Fuel economy on par with a Hybrid! I highly recommend Glenside Toyota in Glenside PA!

gas sipper

by desert runner from Desert Hot Springs, ca | December 13, 2012

bought my echo used and have loved the power from its 5 speed manual transmission also I needed to be able tow her behind my rv. Parts for this car are really cheap.I do more coasting then in gear so I installed updated- drilled and sloted rotors and best pads so I could stop real fast without down shifting and I am happy.I get 34mpg around town and 45 mpg on the road.BEST car I have ever owned for what it is made to do.

Uses car for Towing

Fine machine

by BDW from Mpls | January 20, 2012

Now, at close to 100,000 miles, I can't think there is a better value. I'm a retired over the road salesman and have had more than 35 cars, half of them new. For work they were all American. For private use, one was English,; two were Asian. All things considered, overall, this is the best.

My Beloved Echo

by Juanito from Texas | August 13, 2011

This is the best little car I've ever owned! I drove my 2002 2dr coupe 120000 mi. before I totaled it in unavoidable collision. I was unharmed and retained it for salvage repair and further use. I traded it for a new Versa which does not compare in mileage. I went from 40 to 25 mpg. My Echo never required repair other than scheduled maintenance. I wasted money on extended warranty, never had to file a claim. With current gas prices, I am looking to buy another Echo used. I can vouch for its extreme reliability and low maintenance costs.

Fantastic car

by LikesItSmall from Atlanta, GA | April 26, 2011

Wonderful mileage, 34-38 mpg. No worries ever. 165k miles and going strong in the suburbs. 5k miles on every oil change. Nothing done to it other than regular maintenance. When I floor it, it gets loud, but does not speed up. That is my only issue with it. Well, other than the horn that doesn't always work.

Economical & has Good Headroom

by JE from Fort Worth, TX | February 4, 2011

If you're 6'5", want good gas mileage, don't have much to spend, and won't tolerate having your head touching the headliner all the time, your choices are VERY limited. In fact, the Echo is about it; nothing else has both headroom and good mileage. The Scion xB up to 2006 has good headroom also, but used ones are more expensive, and the Echo's mileage is 15-20% better. I found an '02 6 months ago and love it, so far. 36 mpg around town; up to 41 on hwy (I hear the manual trans does better), with no problems at all so far. Great car!

ECHOnomical

by ECHOnomical from Philadelphia, PA | January 3, 2010

This is the most ECHOnomical car I have ever owned. It gets great gas mileage. Never less than 32 MPG in all city driving and up to 42 MPG on highway. My co-workers made fun of the car (and me) until gas went over $3 and I filled my tank for $30 while they were paying $50 - $120 for a full tank! The car has decent acceleration due to its light weight ~2,000 lbs. However, the light weight combined with the upright design makes it sensitive to high wind. The car is basic but very functional. One thing I miss is that it doesn't have intermittent wiper speed. It gets annoying when it is light rain, fog or mist. My car is approaching 100k miles and I only had scheduled maintenance done to this car, no unexpected repairs. A friend of mine is driving one that has over 250k miles on it and it is still running strong.

More than meets the eye.

by bp in kc from Kansas City, KS | October 16, 2009

A nice little drivers car. Vision from the drivers seat is excellent in all directions. The engine is eager and has enough torque that a downshift isn't required on most hills. The four speed automatic transmission is excellent, it shifts quickly and the gear ratios are well chosen. The seat's are comfortable. The trunk large. Front leg room is an issue for taller occupants but the console is narrow and doesn't encroach on the passenger's footwell like on most vehicles. The rear seat is tight but no worse than your typical small car. Gauge cluster location was strange at first but I've come to like it. The stearing wheel never blocks your view of the speedometer. Cost of ownership is unbeatable. Mileage has ranged from 32 - 43 mpg but is typically right around 34 in mixed driving. Maintenance is minimal and easy. Parts are cheap but Toyota is really proud of their coolant ($20/ gallon proud). ECHOs aren't typically equipped with all the features that push price and desirability up but that's a real advantage when it comes to reliability and price. I will be adding aftermarket cruise control soon. I purchased mine from a private party at a fair price, there are a few out there.

I LOVE THIS CAR

by Anaya from Chicago | October 7, 2009

Just today I saw on Yahoo's front page entitled "Ten Worst Cars of the Decade" and was stunned to see my beloved ECHO on the list. People, if you are an ordinary human being who needs exceptional value, do not believe this article! I have had my ECHO since '01 (it is an '02 model) and during that period of time the maintenance has cost me ... wait for it.... NOTHING. This car has started every day (through 8 Chicago winters), and except for its XX,000 mile check-ups has needed NO maintenance. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it. And the gas mileage on a really bad day is still 37 mpg. While everyone else was grousing during $4/g gas, I was driving with no financial burden. I am AMAZED that this car gets almost the same mpg as other "fuel sippers" (like the Mini Cooper or Ford Fusion Hybrid) but gets none of the accolades. They don't even sell it in the US anymore, which is crazy. My mechanic at my Toyota dealership says its one of the best cars he's ever seen, and that everyone raves about them, and so do I.

Best little fuel sipper

by judy from | January 23, 2009

This car has been completely reliable, in the desert, in the alpine, in the -30 C northern British Columbia interior. A great little handler on winding coastal roads, a road-gripping trooper in the ice and snow, a champ on long long road trips. Oh yeah, I'd buy her again. Low price, great fuel efficiency. If you're looking for luxury, though, look elsewhere. She has only what you need!

Featured Services for this Toyota Echo