2001 Toyota Highlander

Available in 4 styles:  2001 Toyota Highlander 4dr AWD shown

Overall

Best car I've owned

by Simpleton from NPR, Florida | July 21, 2014

Pros: This was such an amazing car while I had it. almost ran it to 200,000 without problems! If you're like me and forget to change your oil often this is a great vehicle. Low maintenance, Fun to drive, great for road trips, Sounds loud without radio but very quiet otherwise (I like that it sounds fast). Safe for the Kiddos to ride in, Radio is amazing (my car was known as "Club 'yota" even with base sound system) I was heartbroken to get rid of it as I was really attached to how awesome it was. Used and abused this vehicle when I turned 18 going off-roading and being a crazy child but I was always safe thanks to this car. GREAT first vehicle all around. Cons: the air intake is low to the ground so flooding the engine is an issue if water is too high (I live in FL with Hurricanes and got my engine flooded but I just took it apart and shopvac'd the water out ;) the cup holders are different sizes in the front, and I had an oil leak problem that caused the engine to seize up. (I didn't know about it so I'm sure it was fixable) Had some trouble with power windows but nothing major and easily fixed

Not Bad but not Great

by Khol from DFW, TX | February 19, 2014

On the whole the Toyota Highlander is neither great nor bad. The performance of the Highlander is generally lackluster. The driver feels disconnected from the road. The steering is not great. The brakes start out as soft and mushy then is very stiff. Around corners the suspension has too much give. It would benefit from stiffer suspension. For a V-6 engine feels under powered. When I first drove it I had to make sure it was not a four cylinder. The gas mileage is not great but that is to be suspected for such a big vehicle. As far as the interior goes it is a mix of high and low quality materials such as the climate control and the shifter. The seats are soft but not overly supportive and could use more side bolstering. The controls are fairly ergonomic and with in reach of the driver. There is very little storage in the front which can be problematic if you need it. I hate the cruise control. I does not do a fantastic job a maintaining a constant speed over uneven ground and the cruise stalk coming out of the steering wheel is an extremely poor design. Also it is important to note that the second row relatively receives little air flow which can make for uncomfortable car rides. As far as reliability goes there are no major problems. However these older Toyota's have problems with emissions. If you are looking at the Highlander as a every day family hauler your money would be better spent on sedan like a Honda Accord. A sedan still can haul the same number of people while providing better gas mileage and better handeling. Later models of the Highlander have a third row which is good for two more passengers.

certified junk

by hemi head from CANTON,OHIO | February 22, 2012

I bought this 2001 Toyota Highlander as a Toyota certified vehicle under the impression it would be a good value. WRONG.I loved the car for the first 30 days.The oil light came on when i stopped at a stop sign.The suv had 81,060 miles on it.The oil had been changed only 900 miles before as part of the dealers service.This 3.0 liter v6 burns oil like a starving vulture after a flood. I will go Honda next time.

Most Dependable Car I've Owned

by Walker from Hartford, CT | January 14, 2012

Bought a new 2001 Highlander Limited Edition w/ AWD 6 cylinder and leather trim package. I really got my moneys worth. As comfortable as any Lexus and never broke down. Today I have 125,000 miles and still no breakdowns only scheduled maintainence. Toyota reliability is no joke. Im told these engines and transmissions will go 200,000 miles easy. I believe it. Even the premium JBL sound system still rocks. Toyota Forever!!!

This and the Camry - best cars I ever owned.

by Sam in Cincinnati from Cincinnati, OH | December 12, 2011

Spacious, plenty of cargo space, good looking interior trim. Performance and reliability are superior. Comfort is good, not luxurious. I would recommend a couple interior design changes to Toyota, including: Redesign the cup holders which are cheap and broke easily. Insert a console between the front seats. All-in-all, this has been a wonderful vehicle.

Best Car Ever! Even after 10+ yrs

by Love my Highlander from The Woodlands, TX | June 3, 2011

I have never owned a car for more than 5 years until I purchased this 2001 Toyota Highlander!!! It has been 10+ yrs and I love it as much as I did when I bought it. My husband wants to buy me a new one, but I love this one so much, I can't bear to part with it!! After 5 yrs or so we had one minor problem, an oil leak behind the transmission, other than that we have just kept up with the maintenance!! No problems, Can you imagine that?? Would totally recommend this as a used car if you can find one that has been cared for. One last note, the only reason I gave the interior 4 stars is the cup holder design in the front set is not that great. There are 2 cup holders, one regular sized and one that is smaller. : (

117,000 miles and now its junk

by Jaded from Louisville | September 29, 2010

We bought a 2 owner used 2001 Toyota Highlander 4WD in Feb. 2009 for with 72,000 miles on it. A year and half later we are at 117,000 miles with regular maintenance, but still have poured quarts of oil into the system every couple of weeks due to a leak mechanics never could find. The check engine light and VSC light were always on because of some emissions sensor that never worked correctly. Now, it's running rough and turns out that it will cost $1800 in labor just to take the engine apart to find out if it is the head or a hole in the pistons. Either way it will cost thousands more to either get parts or a new engine. I loved the car when it ran right, but it's had some major repairs and I am hoping to even get $2500 trade in on what's left of it. I'm really disappointed. The local dealership just lifts up its hands and says... the engine doesn't usually go bad at 117,000 miles. Thanks a lot... you should stand behind your product and give satisfaction if it junks out early.

183,725 breakdown-free miles!Knock-on-wood:)

by OwatAfeeling! from Oregon | July 30, 2010

I have been the owner of 4 Toyotas, 3 Hondas, 1 Volkswagon, and by some strange coincidence, I sold all the Toyotas running solid and in fact, my 1992 Toyota Camry I sold(Almost 200k miles at time of sale) is still a daily driver with 420k miles on it! I knew I should have kept it!lol With the Highlander, this suv is solid all around. I mean, the build quality throughout the vehicle is amazing! All those little rattles and sounds in the interior is non-existent. Remember my Highlander has 180k miles on it. The other day I thought I heard a sound like something was loose or rattling, turned out to be my kids AAA battery in the door panel! I felt so proud of my Highlander not falling apart like other vehicles. I am NOT a car guy! I do NOT work on my car other than to take it in for oil changes and such. I have a wife(very beautiful just in case she's reading)and two very messy kids but yet the Highlander keeps on staying cleanable meaning no rips in the leather or broken door handles or anything!I recently drove from the East Coast to the West Coast with ZERO problems. It is a FWD suv but it handled fine in snow without using chains. I plan on keeping my suv for a while since Ifeel it might give me another 200k BREAKFREE miles. If you find a Highlander chances are it will be in good to excellent condition if not it must have been majorly ABUSED! Do Not Be Concerned About Mileage! If it runs and feels pretty solid, HIGH chances it will be super solid for a long time! Good luck and for you GEN Xer's out there, Oh What A Feeling! TOYOTA!!!

Best Vehicle Ever

by Highlander Fan from Kentucky | July 12, 2010

I purchased my 2001 Highlander Limited brand new. It is now nearly 10 years old, with just under 200,000 miles on it and I still love it as much as the day I drove it off the showroom floor. In fact, I still get inquiries as to what year it is and people are always amazed that it is as old as it is and has as many miles on it as it does. The body styling, features, and excellent paint job has made it timeless. My husband and I use it as our family vehicle and it is more than roomy enough for us, our two children and our 125 lb. great pyrenees puppy. The only draw back is that I have absolutely no reason whatsoever to purchase a new one! I guess someday it will eventually wear out...

Beware costly repair.

by swtrader from Dallas, TX | January 13, 2010

I bought our 2001 Highlander new. It has 116,000 miles. We have had to replace an alternator. Not unexpected. However, beware (if you're purchasing a 2001 or similarly-styled model year) of the variable heater control in the middle of the dashboard. This knob is for selecting the range of heating or cooling coming out of the vents. It was poorly designed and is prone to failure. The inner workings have 3 small wires soldered to a computer board. On many models, the knob was not tightly secured into the dash panel. The result is that when the knob is turned, the wires are torqued -- and one or more pulls away from the computer panel. My Toyota dealer wanted about $700 to repair it (although the service tech just assumed that the heater control itself was bad). Thanks to a couple of DIY sites on the internet, I found out how to dismantle the control (not that difficult). I then had a computer techie friend re-solder. If (after 9 or 10 years of service) the knob on the car you are considering purchasing is working correctly, chances are it will continue to do so. Do check it out before you buy, however. Otherwise, has been a reliable, comfortable car. When I trade it, it will be for another Toyota -- most likely a Tundra or Tacoma. (but never a US car!)