2005 Toyota Highlander

See Photos & Videos

Overall

2005 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4 clylinder

by 4th toyota I've owned from West Islip | February 28, 2014

I've owned three different Toyotas, a 1992 Corolla 205,000 miles, 1999 Corolla 200,000, ry and the 2005 Highlander 108K. The old adage goes, "if you take care of your vehicle it will take care of you". As long as you follow recommended services at appropriate mileage intervals, I've never had a single problem, mechanically or otherwise. I like to do service earlier than what is stated, I'm kind of OCD when it comes to taking care of my vehicle(s). The 2005 Highlander rides very much like a car, same drivetrain as the Camry 2.4L. The build is solid, you can hear it when you shut the door, none of that tinny sound like the other cheap imports. The truck earned 6 stars last year when it snowed 35 inches of snow on Long Island, there were stranded motorists - cars and fellow trucks abandoned on roadsides everywhere. I was fortunate to be driving this great vehicle, I have great confidence that I will not get stuck, for I know the Highlander can handle ice and snow and other crazy drivers with ease. One of the best vehicles I have ever driven. My next vehicle with be a Prius! I can't wait for my next adventure!

I expected more

by Ms Consumer from Clovis, CA | August 16, 2013

I think my review title says it all. I expected more from this car. I drove a Toyota Camry before this car. I bought my 2005 Highlander in 2010. I had to replace all the tires, rotors, belt and brakes. The tires and rotors are real expensive because they are basically truck tires and rotors. I had to put decent tires on this car because of concerns of road noise and load on tires. The first thing I notice is a lot of wind noise hitting the windshield, (annoying). The transmission jumps, I am not the only person with this problem. I have read the reviews. Driver seat is so uncomfortable. It is too narrow and hard. I get bad back pains if I'm in the car too long. The cloth interior is another big problem for this car. It gets dirty real easy and is hard to clean. I think that this type of cloth interior for a family car was a POOR decision. It does sit seven; however, I hope your family is skinny. My family is an average sized American family and we can seat 6 comfortable and 7 sqishable. After everyone was in the car there is no room for belongings unless they are carrying them . To own this car you really have to have a storage bin on top. The gas mileage in town is bad. I think I get 15 -17 and maybe less when I have the air running. Highway gas did good. I can not wait to get rid of this car. I gave it to my daughter to drive because of her growing family. Her oldest son of 4 is turning 7 and he is already getting too big for this car. I am looking for a sedan again. This was my first SUV and I don't think that I will EVER purchase another one.

Very disappointed

by looking for reliability from Boston, Ma | August 16, 2013

We have a 2005 toyota Highlander. We bought it new and for the first 100,000 miles it was great. However, since hitting the 100,000 mile mark we have had to had 3 wheel bearings replaced and it sounds like we are heading toward another replacement. These repairs are pricey. The dealership was unable to diagnose the problem so a local garage diagnosed and the dealer did the repair. Having owned a Honda CRV which I drove to 193,000 and never had to have a wheel bearing replaced, I am extremely disappointed with my Toyota. I was hoping to drive it to the 200,000 mile mark but I do not trust it and we will be replacing it soon. We will not be buying another Toyota.

A RELIABLE CAR

by LINDA from ST HELENA ISLAND, SC | December 14, 2012

I AM A PREVIOUS OWNER OF A HIGHLANDER. MY 2003 HIGHLANDER WAS IN AN ACCIDENT IN SEPTEMBER AND IT WAS DEEMED TOTALED. I THANK GOD I WAS UNHARMED. SO I PURCHASED ANOTHER HIGHLANDER BECAUSE I LOVE MY FIRST SO MUCH. A VERY DEPENDABLE VEHICLE.

Missin' my Highlander

by Toyota Fan from Florida | January 10, 2012

In crash yesterday..not my fault. Car was totaled and lst day out I miss that reliable vehicle. I was stopped at a traffic light, rear-ended at approx 40mph & sandwiched between a propane tanker (!) and the offending vehicle. Me and all three grandkids were unharmed! I'm thanking God and the sturdiness of the Highlander. Hopefully, the departed will be replaced w/another Totota.

great value

by fostfam from hartford, ct | December 28, 2011

Best suv for the $ safe, pretty, reliable, holds valu e. Great for ski trips, or just every day driving. Seats in way back appropriate for short legs only

Had a wreck, replaced immediately

by Big Fan from Athens, GA | October 26, 2011

Following a dramatic car wreck that totaled the car but protected the family from any significant injury, we went out and replaced it immediately with the exact same model. We couldn't be any happier. We have the 4 cylinder which has great pep. Highly recommended.

Best Bang for the BUCK

by Kyle from | August 10, 2011

This is a type of car that will last longer than you! I have owned a Toyota Highlander for the last 6 years and it is the most reliable car I have ever owned. Perfect for a family, or a child... Excellent Safety ratings, perfect mountain car!

A very good choice.

by The One from austin, TX | October 1, 2010

Excellent vechicle. More room and comfort than appears. Very smooth and quiet drive train. Would buy this vehicle over and over again. I have friends that own them and feel the same way.

just awesome!

by highlander rocks from Pennsylvania PA | March 22, 2010

The safety is just great! It is a mid size suv. It is a perfect car for people who are scared of car accidents. I love the headlights!

Featured Services for this Toyota Highlander