2013 Toyota Highlander

2013 Toyota Highlander

Available in 10 styles:  2013 Toyota Highlander 4dr AWD shown
Starting MSRP

Overall

Wife likes it more. Good thing it's hers!

by Daily Driver from Deep South | August 14, 2014

We have the 2013 Plus V6 2wd. We've had it for a year and 15K miles. My wife LOVES it and wouldn't change thing, except for adding a power liftgate (included in the 2014 Plus pkg). I, however, have a few issues with it. I'll include my favorites at the end, as well. . I'm 5'9" and have to push the driver's seat all the way back to get comfortable. With back problems, I like the power lumbar support, but the seat gets uncomfortable after an hour or so. We make a 7hr road trip at least once a month, but usually opt to take the other car that gets better MPG. . I can't get the steering wheel in a position where it is comfortable to use AND still see the speedometer. It's usually blocking hwy speeds from 60-80mph. Do I really need a clear view of the tachometer at the expense of the speedometer in a mommy-mobile? My wife couldn't even tell you what the tach does, if you asked her. . I also am unable to get into a position where I can rest an arm on the door or center armrest and still control the steering wheel, such as you'd want for long roadtrips. . If you're lucky enough to snag one of the second row captain's chairs, you have a level of comfort that is unfair to anyone else. They're even more comfortable than the front seats. I'd rather that the seats are more comparable than to give the kids more of a reason to fight. . When I flip the sun visor open, it's too low for me to see the road without slouching in my seat. I didn't know 5'9" was really that tall, but I have lots of height issues in this vehicle. Although, it fits my 5'3" wife, the target consumer, like they custom fit it for her. . The radio has more features than the 2012, but seems like an aftermarket swap, rather than original equipment. The screen display dims when the headlights turn on, but doesn't respond when you adjust the brightness of your dashboard lights. . Speaking of dashboard lights, they automatically adjust to conditions, such as driving under a bridge, tunnel, etc. There is no way to stop this, not even by turning the lights all the way off. I think they should adjust automatically only when set to auto mode. . The 2013 doesn't tell you which tire is low when the TPMS light comes on. I believe the 2012 did this. The spare tire also has a sensor and it is VERY difficult to check the spare tire pressure without lowering it from under the car. When the light comes on, it's a big ordeal. . The HL loves to drive in a straight line at an easy pace (like you would expect from a tall Camry). Although it outperformed the Pathfinder, Pilot, and EVEN the CX-9 in tests, the experience is quite squirrely. The suspension dampens bumps well, but every time the driver presses the gas or brake, the car jerks. You literally feel every change in input from the driver. When I hit the gas a little too hard turning out into traffic, the traction control takes a while to kick in. It'll wait for a good 2 rotational wheel-spin and a nice squeal from the tire, before it wakes up. . Now, for my favorites: The number one reason we bought the HL... The rear a/c vents are in the roof, not the back of the driver's armrest. Knee-level vents are going to do absolutely nothing for a screaming kid in a rear facing carseat in the blazing 100 degree summer heat. You'd be surprised at how many SUVs are losing the roof vents when they're redesigned. . The bluetooth function is awesome. Our HL doesn't have navigation, but the stereo will announce directions from your iPhone. I can also use Siri, although I have to press the button on my phone. It's a win for me because I don't have to take my eyes off the road. . It's one of the last in the midsize class that actually looks like an SUV. Additionally, my almost-base-model HL has just as much curb appeal as the Limited. . It gets MPG comparable to others in its class, it can tow 5K lbs, it has a cool disappearing seat that impresses men of all ages, etc. . Bottom line: my wife loves it and I can afford it!!!

2013 LIMITED Ride and Seats

by Rich from OKC, OK | August 2, 2014

We replaced a 2010 Honda Odessey Touring with a slightly used HL Limited...2,000 miles on odometer. Vans have a better ride due to the wheelbase. However, the HL Limited was the best alternative, has a smoother drivetrain, and is more luxurious. The 2013 seats are more comfortable than the 2014 HL constructed of plastic leather and memory foam. You end up sitting in a bucket after 5 min. The 2013 HL ride was too harsh with its 19 inch Bridgestone 400 tires. Replaced the tires with Bridgestone Ecopia's. the ecopia's ride characteristics are similar to a 235/65/18 tire. The change in comfort and noise is remarkable.

reliable, powerful, smooth

by new toyota fan from oregon | May 28, 2014

I purchased a V6 AWD base model. here are my impressions after driving 32,000 miles in 15 months: it never needed any repairs, nothing malfunctioned. it is powerful, smooth, with an average of 19 mpg city and 23 hwy. it handles well highways as well as moderate-difficulty off road trails. it even did ok on more difficult ones, excellent traction and power, but the 8''ground clearance was barely enough. If you go off road more than occasionally, you should consider buying the 4 runner. very few features are less than perfect: driving uphill on cruise control the engine jumps from 2000 to 4000 rpm while it drops at about 2500rpm if you turn it off, and it accelerates 3-5mph uphill. for trips longer than 4-5 hours the base model seats need more lumbar support, otherwise you will have horrible back pain. I purchased a lower back cushion on amazon but I suggest you choose the upgraded seats from the beginning if you plan driving it a lot. the rearview camera is an useful option for parking downtown. I had it installed a few months later at the dealer for 350$. I also installed aftermarket roof rails with cross bars and a towing hitch for my bicycle rack. they do the job well and cost half than original toyota parts. loaded with two 15-foot kayaks and 3 bicycles you barely see any change in handling or gas consumption. this is one strong good-for-all vehicle, very reasonable on gas and maintenance.

Love riding in comfort

by Family First from Hayward, CA | May 10, 2014

I bought a 2013 Highlander right before having my first child. It was the best choice I could have ever made. This vehicle is so reliable and comfortable to drive. It is definitely a family car! The associate Cesar Alvarez that helped me knew just what to suggest when I asked for a family and comfort car.

Very dependable and no problems.

by old timer from Iowa | April 26, 2014

Third Highlander I have owned and this last one has a better ride and handling than the previous two.

Love the way it fits me not to low or not to high

by dog lover from | April 5, 2014

It was considered used but only had 1,000.00 mile on it and it was a limited I just wished I understood more of the toys in it but then i have only had it for 2 weeks

Fit needs

by Love road trips from California | March 24, 2014

Our new highlander has meant every expat action. We get good gas milage in town and highway. It is so quite inside and a very comfortable ride. Will keep this car many years

Saved our lives

by Highlander for life from Minnesota | January 29, 2014

We purchased a 2013 Highlander and after 3 months of ownership we were involved in a head-on crash at 60 miles per hour. The safety features in the Highlander saved our lives. Although we have injuries (neck and back pain, fractured Sternum), I believe that the if we were in a different vehicle our injuries would have been life threatening. We were so pleased that we replaced our wrecked Highlander with another 2013 Highlander.

Best features and room for the price

by Eric from Galveston, TX | January 10, 2014

I moved to a Highlander from a higher end Lexus and found that the features were comparable (highlander was the limited edition). However, the price was half and the gas mileage double! The car is comfortable, has features that most of us really want and need (good sounding stereo, navigation, Bluetooth connectivity, heated seats). The car handles well but some increased road noise is evident as compared to my previous Lexus. The third row back seats are mostly an illusion, but work well for occasional use for kids (which is why I have them). Great vehicle.

Beautiful color, smooth ride

by SUV Lover from Gloucest | November 19, 2013

I've owned a Toyota Highlander since 2003 and loved it. I love this 2013 Highlander even more. It has more cup holders, a better radio (enjoying SiriusXM Satellite channels), back-up camera, individual temperature control in front seats, heat/A/C controls in back seat, & built-in garage door opener. I love the color & the comfort of this car, including the heated leather front seats. One of these days, I'll learn how to operate all the computer features!

Featured Services for this Toyota Highlander