2003 Toyota Matrix

Kelley Blue Book Retail

Est. MPG

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Can't find anything to replace it

by B from NW IN | January 7, 2014

Best car I've ever owned. Bought it new in 2003. Had auto vent shades put on right away. Bought new headlights last year since old ones finally were so "aged" it cut my visibility. Car always had awesome headlights. Great gas mileage. Love the in dash inverter. With over 225,000 miles I thought I might go look for a new car with more luxury. Can't find anything to replace it. Hybrids can't tow because you can't put a hitch where the battery is located. Only 2 things I don't like about the car and never did like---not enough ground clearance (snow in NW IN) and the dash bleeds out (hard to read). All other features are pluses. Love the Moon roof, seating position, controls are sensible and easy to reach. Rear window in the hatch opens which is handy in hauling long 2 x 4's, etc. This car has the best combination of features of any car I've ever driven. Every now and then I go out to look to replace it---can't find anything that would be worth spending for a new car. She still runs great and looks great.

in love with this car!!!!!!!!

by switching from trucks from Portland Maine | January 3, 2014

Hand down best car ever! Brand new in 03 never given me one problem ever!!!!! I recommended this car to anyone with kids! Ive never been so happy with safety in any car but this one!

best little car I have ever had

by Michelle from Bridge City Tx | November 26, 2013

I bought my matrix in 2003 brand new, first one to be sold from a dealer in my home town. I love my little car,it is 13 years old now and 198,000 miles on it and still runs like It was brand new. The only thing I have problems with was the rims, they were port installed rims and would eat tires. Fixed that with a new set and good to go. I have had to evacuated twice and this car was the best, put the seats flat and put all my boxes in the back, to having a baby and hauling all the baby stuff that you need to having a toddler that is a messy child in the back seat. This little car has been through it all and really is the best one I have ever had. And to top it off it still looks somewhat new for its age. :-)

A real sleeper

by Woodchuck from Williston, Vermont | August 30, 2013

I've had my 2003 XRS for 4 years and I'm very happy with it. This model has the high performance engine [180HP] which delivers good power but you must get into the high revs to get it. At about 6000 rpms it feels like you get a kick in the but and the car takes off. Gas mileage isn't to great, about 30 mpg is the best I ever got but I don't mind, i'd rather have the extra power. There is plenty of room for my 2 dogs in back with the rear seats folded down. Nice car.

I love this car..

by Giddyup from Elizabeth, Colorado | February 12, 2013

I haven't owned this long just bought it 2 mos ago 2003 XR with 74,000 miles. It's a fun little car to drive..downside no power low end,,,,but as you speed up it kicks in and has alot of GO...That works I don't need a speeding ticket with a fast car. Just a perfect all around economical car with space to haul things. I live on a small ranch need to large bags from feed store etc. The savings in gas from my Ford F-350 more than pays for the car in gas, payment and insurance.

toyota speaks for itself

by fuel miser from indiana | January 16, 2012

bought the matrix new, it has been great, just required maint., they run forever!, just leased a honda cr-v, got rid of the jeep gussler(:

Loved this car

by Teenage Driver from Wisconsin | April 10, 2011

We bought this car used from the dealer for one of our teen daughter's second cars. Worked like a horse through the tough Wisconsin winters. Never a problem to get to school through the snow and slush. Drive was comfortable and roomy. Her Dad who is 6 feet 2 inches was even able to sit in the back seat with no difficulty. We couldn't have been happier with this car for her. She and a friend were in the car this past week and were hit by another vehicle on the front passengers side and the back passenger side. They were spun 3 times and the two girls came out the the totalled car with bumps and bruses only. The First Responders were even amazed at how little happened to them with the extent of damage to the car. One said he truly expected them to be so much worse than they were. I can't say enough about the safety of this car. Looking to replace it at this moment.

Reliable in WV

by rynn70 from West Virginia | February 8, 2011

We bought this car new because we wanted a vehicle our dogs could ride in without getting the seats dirty. It's great for that, they ride in the cargo area. It's also holds more cargo than it looks, I hauled a twin sized mattress and box spring in the back with the seats down, could almost close the hatch :) I also love the hard cover on the back of the rear seats so cargo doesn't ruin the seats. Dirt just wipes out. I have 108,000 on mine and it's still going strong, no rust and with regular snow tires I've never missed a day of work on nasty winter days. My next vehicle will be a Toyota also.

Very Good car

by CarFever from Columbia,MO | December 11, 2010

I had this car from 2005 to 2010! Never had any problems! Totally reliable! For parents with young kids: I even could fit 3 booster seats on the back seat! Great car!

big disappointment

by disgruntled costumer from michigan | February 20, 2009

I bought this car because of Toyota's reputation for a reliable car. I'm so disappointed in the car. It is spacious and has nice features. However, sometimes I think the car is built like a model car--put together tongue and groove. I've had problems with the front spoiler breaking and the side rim is falling off-why?? Ok so I have 103,000 miles. I've now had to replace the rack and pinion--never before on my Ford cars!!! Now, I have an oil leak and it might be related to the engine. I was told that it has to do with a faulty engine part. Toyota's engines are supposed to last at least 200,000 miles if not more. This is ridiculous.

Featured Services for this Toyota Matrix