2004 Toyota Matrix

Available in 5 styles:  2004 Toyota Matrix FWD Hatchback shown

Overall

nice upgrade over Versa

by Geoff from EP, MN | December 18, 2012

I have a 2007 Nissan Versa, which I like, but was disappointed in performance and gas mileage (30mpg at most, less in winter). This 2004 Matrix XRS, easily corrects my performance deficiency, while getting *better* gas mileage! Sure, the Matrix has a manual, which helps - but it feels like twice the car. I didn't realize the Versa felt sort of cheap, until closing the door on the Matrix - nice and solid sound. Also, interior noise in the Matrix is much quieter - even with the windows open, which surprised me. The Matrix also has more head room, yet looks sleeker. Small things like the tail gate window being able to open, the fold flat seats, automatic lights, built-in 120v AC outlet, two 12v lighter ports, better quality cup holders, etc.... all add up. Sure, the XRS is the higher end model - but I paid about the same money for the much newer Versa, yet the Matrix impresses so much more. My only complaint was very poor winter driving, with the wide 17" tires that came with it - but I resolved that by buying a set of 16" Blizzaks from tirerack (did cost me another $700, but now the thing fearlessly plows through snow and ice, up here in MN).

At Least It's Efficient

by Blah from Syracuse, NY | October 23, 2011

DISCLAIMER: Base Trim. Bought mine used in '05 with 32k miles. 6 years later, I'm up to ~150k and still unimpressed. The exterior is alright, not too vanilla, but not incredibly memorable either. The body integrity is fairly good overall, with just a few minor rust problems that are to be expected when you've survived CNY winters. I like the convenience of the two-piece hatch, and the low load floor. Get inside, however, and it's a whole other story. The interior reeks of cheap plastics and cut corners; most of the dash pieces are ill-fitting and rattle unsettlingly every time you hit a bump. The seats, while more than large enough, offer minimal support at best, and the black, coarse-woven fabric attracts stains and dog hair like a magnet. The back seats sit almost perfectly vertical, and are uncomfortable for more than an hour or so. The best part about them is that they fold flat and offer a vast cargo area perfect for moving and general-purpose hauling. The front passenger seat folds to about an inch higher than the load floor, offering space for extra-long items. The tonneau cover for the cargo area is a nice touch, but (like the rest of the interior) feels cheap. The audio system is one of the worst I've heard in a car; bass response is muddy, highs are shrill, and the tonal adjustments are of little to no help at all. The rest of the switchgear is intuitively laid out, but again, suffers from the same "econbox" feeling. The master window control panel snapped out of place about a year after purchase, and has never snapped back in. The center console (below the shifter) is a nicety, but impractical for anything more than a couple (emphasis on COUPLE) CDs or a cell phone and does not stay shut. The cup holders are placed so close together that if you have two drinks in anything other than cans in them, the top one has to take theirs out to get to the bottom. IMO, they could've done without the little tray on the bottom of the console and put a little more space between the cupholders. The rear cupholders are absolutely horrible, with a pull-out "claw" type configuration that fails to hold anything but a larger bottle well. As for the engine, refer to the title of my post: at least it's efficient. I average just under 30MPG with heavy hill driving with some highway interspersed for good measure. Power is minimal - you won't be thrown back in your seat by any stretch of the imagination, but what were you expecting from 1.8 liters? True, the Matrix can get up to highway speed, but there's not much left after that. Engine noise is harsh and strained, even without AWD. Most of what little power the engine offers comes in the 3.5-5k range, which is also where the harshest noise is. The transmission, tuned as it is for economy, downshifts FAR too aggresively when going downhill and without any real urgency when accelerating. Ride quality is awful. You are guaranteed to feel every bump in the road, small or otherwise, and you'd better put a helmet on for highway potholes. Steering is responsive, if less than thrilling, and body lean is well controlled in turns. You can push your speed through turns, and for a second - just a second - forget what you're driving, but then reality hits. Brakes are subpar. Handling is mediocre, provided you've spent enough on tires recently enough, but it does tend to get mired in heavier snow. On the positive side, this has been a (relatively) maintenance-free car, except for new tires, brakes, and oil changes, but those are routine on any vehicle.

Love this little car

by Grammy from North Dakota | July 26, 2011

I purchased this car in 2006 and just paid it off. It had 35,000 miles on it and now has 160,000 and I have had no trouble and have only replaced the back window wiper. The hub caps did come off, but we replaced them with rims. I have gotten as much as 42 MPG while driving 55-60mph. My grandchildren love to ride with me and there is so much cargo room. I love the clearance from the ground and not having to sit way down when getting in.

Excellent Performer- reliable family car

by Paul from Virginia | June 25, 2011

Had 7 years of trouble free service from this car (a Corolla with a SUV box. Using regular gas got at least 30 mph town/hwy combined. A vast amount of cargo space and so versatile with the 60/40 bench down. Parking is a breeze even in Manhattan, moved many family and friends alike. It can even handle a full sofa!! Once I loaded a lawn aerater and lawn mower- no prob. Matrix is by far the most reliable car on the road and very reasonable too.

GREAT XRS

by WORKER from 47025 | May 11, 2011

I GET GREAT GAS MILAGE AT 65MPH. I DO HAVE TO USE PREMIUM FUEL BUT ONLY USING 11 GALLONS OF GAS PER WEEK AMOUNTS TO $2.20 EXTRA. FOR 36 MPG THAT IS NOT BAD

Awesome For the Money

by rassleman from Salt Lake City, Utah | February 1, 2011

I bought my 2004 Matrix XR used, with about 35,000 miles on it and I loved it from day one. It is great on fuel, though I wish the tank were a bit bigger. It's a zippy little car and handles hills with ease. The cargo space is awesome. I was continually amazing how much "stuff" I was able to get in the back of that thing. I have a few minor "cosmetic" things happen, but nothing that wasn't fixable or enough to worry about. I was able to fit 3...yes 3 car seats in the back at once without any problems. It handles decently in snow, as long as your tires are good. No problems in the rain at all. On dry roads, it hands quite well. It's a bit stiff on bumps, though, which can get a tad annoying after a while. Once on the freeway, it was smooth sailing however. I was sad to give the car up as it was a fun, handy and good looking car. I got many complitments on it's looks (I added a few aftermarket touches- new rims and window tinting) but the ground effects that were included were great. If you need a good hauler that is good on the gas mileage and the wallet, then this is a great car for you!

Loved my Matrix

by SLS from Sacramento, CA | September 20, 2010

I owned my Matrix for 4 years, and put 100,000 miles on it. When I sold it, it was close to 180,000 and still going. I had no major maintenance problems with the vehicle, but was told I needed to replace my catalytic converter, when I had trouble passing smog last year. Obviously the car still ran fine without. I love how much cargo space you can have in this car; it's like a mini-suv with the seats folded down. It's extremely fuel effecient; I averaged around 31mpg.

excellent vehicle

by bobbydrums67 from lynn, in | November 6, 2008

I am 6 ft 4 in 220 lbs and play drums this vehicle will haul them all with no problems with room to spare 36 mpg at 70 plus mph dependable would have 4 if i could afford them and needed them

Uses car for To save gas

I'ts an ok car.

by Working Mom from Las Cruces, NM | August 27, 2008

We purchased this car in June 03', and just paid it off in June 08'. It had about 5 miles on it. On the first week of owning the car we took a trip to west Texas. The crews control went out on the way. We returned the car for repair. Which they fixed. Next the trim on the dashboard started making noise. (Dealer would not fix) Apparently this is a “trim problem” and not covered. Next the center cubby latch broke. Then the center armrest cracked. Car does not handle well in the rain if your tires are not brand spanking new. We do like the trunk space. And it has been a good little car. Reliable engine and parts wise.. They could have done a better job with the interior.

Best car I have ever owned

by Car nut from Pennsylvania | April 20, 2008

Over all this is a great car for the money.It gets great fuel economy,handles well on the highway,and has lots of room inside. I purchased this car used to go to and from work,I wasn't sure how I would like it but now I would recomend it to anyone.

Featured Services for this Toyota Matrix