2005 Toyota Matrix

Available in 5 styles:  2005 Toyota Matrix AWD Hatchback shown

Overall

Very Reliable So Versatile Such Matrix

by Toyota4life from 91006 | May 29, 2014

I got the car used about 2 years ago, so far no mechanical problems at all and the folding seats are so good for trunk space, overall a great car i would trust my life with it, it has taken me to vegas and back to LA several times. Now onto the things i DONT love about this car...im not sure if its the tires that i still havent needed to replace yet from the previous owner but it gets loud in the car when you are going ~75-90mph (i usually go 80) so listening to your radio becomes a hassle because you have to turn it up much louder...also there is only a cd player...no tape player or auxilary port so im stuck listening to the radio or an old CD

Very reliable as expected 143,000 miles so far

by Toyota lady from Greensburg, PA | February 23, 2014

I bought my 05 5 speed Matrix 9 years ago, and used to be driven to work every day, for travelling on vacations,the kids have borrowed it many many times, it's Primary use is everything everywhere, from mountains to the shores. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. I finally replaced the serpentine belt this year, and could use some new struts. And never have had any clutch issues, until maybe now, the pickup sometimes is not as fast as it is normally so I will be getting that checked out. I have had many corollas over the years and a celica always standard transmissions and would have it no other way. My matrix gets 36 mpg on the highway, my corollas always did as well, so funny to hear car companies thinking they are doing so well catching up. We did have the car overloaded on the last trip so the mileage didn't do quite as well. Being the car is getting old, and we have driven to Florida from PA and back two times last year and going this year again in my matrix, I will be getting things checked out to make sure we will have no issues. The interior of the car is nicer than the corollas were, my only complaint is that I didn't have anywhere to put my dip because of the curved dash. The cup holders also could be a little bigger. The seats slide way back so long legs shouldn't be an issue, my husband can't get in to start the car easily if I don't leave my seat back. The body is in great shape no rust. We certainly plan on getting at least 200,000 out of this car.

Matrix = Swiss Army Knife

by Euro Car Guy from Jersey City, NJ | August 10, 2012

First off, the Toyota Matrix is based on the Toyota Corolla platform, so you know it is a dependable and affordable car to own. Where the Matrix stands out is in the way Toyota designers created A LOT of useable space inside the car, and a lot of nice ways to use that space, while at the same time being fun to drive - something not found in many cars today. I have owned my 2005 Matrix XRS for three years without any issues, and have meet other Matrix owners who have reported over 250k miles of trouble-free driving, so I believe the car will last me a long time. Just as important, though, is how fun the car is to drive. I just love how the car can be a comfortable ride on the way to work, but then become a joy to drive in the corners on a weekend drive! And again, the Matrix is able to do this with the same cargo hauling utility of a small SUV... vehicles that never come anywhere close to being fun to drive. Also, in my opinion, I believe the Matrix looks like a much nicer car than the Corolla does...and everyone knows the Corolla as the 'entry level' Toyota but the Matrix does not seem to have that stigma. Now if you are looking for sporty, then definitely get the XRS model, that puppy needs to be driven to be appreciated - night and day different than the X and XR versions of the Matrix. I'm surprised Toyota ever made such a sporty car, it's fantastic! I personally like the 2005-2008MY vehicles, as they seem to be the best built cars and have the good looks of the face lifted design introduced in 2005. In 2009, Toyota began to cut a number of corners with the Matrix in engineering and design, so while they are newer, if you are looking to buy a Matrix, I'd choose a nice example 2005-2008MY car first. Additionally, if you are looking at the XRS models, again, in 2009 the XRS lost it's 'zing' and became just another Matrix... not a bad car, just no longer the sporty car the earlier XRS had been. So to wrap up - the Matrix is an overall great car, able to do most anything you ask it to do, and with this in mind, dollar for dollar, the Toyota Matrix is one of the best automotive values around.

Small good wagon

by Previa guy from Medford MA | January 10, 2012

The Toyota Matrix with a 4WD is a Corolla with a hatch. Corolla has been very reliable and so is the Matrix. Driver side is a bit tight on space but just perfect fit for short people since the seat can be manually raised higher or lower for the legs. Rear seats fold flat for extra storage of cargo Good mileage I would recommend it.

dependable but not sexy

by k2 from Baltimore, MD | November 21, 2011

Love the car, the milage, the storage space and the comfort, however the pickup is slow and the driving experience is not as zippy or sexy as the Mazda 3 hatchback.

Very usable, reliable and cute, too.

by susievegas from Springfield, VT | August 28, 2011

I had a 1993 Corolla for 13 years and replaced it with a 2005 Matrix, brand new. I got the all wheel sporty model in red because it was on the lot.It chewed up a set of tires quickly, but I believe they were not a good tire to begin with, my one complaint. No repairs to date, with about 47K miles. It can be buzzy, but I love the fold-down seats and the gas mileage is very good. My friends all think it looks like new, but I do wax it regularly. The clock goes on and off regularly, apparently a fault in the clock, not the car.My first all wheel drive car and I love it, especially here in snowy Vermont. I run it with 4 snow tires because I live on a very big hill and have a terribly steep driveway and it never fails to make the hill. An excellent car.

Matrix Manual Shift

by Sport from Vancouver. BC | October 1, 2010

Good car otherwise. Automatic is excellent. Flat floor when rear seats are folded makes a very usable rear space. Great on the highway. Versatile for camping, touring, commuting. But do not buy a standard or manual shift Matrix - the clutch is under designed and $1200 maintenance penalty every 50,000 miles

Loved my Matrix!

by Primary Driver from Madison Heights, MI | September 21, 2010

We had our 2005 Matrix XR for 5 years and decided to get a bigger vehicle that would accommodate a wheelchair lift on the back. We traded in our 2005 Matrix XR for a 2009 Honda CR-V LX and have regretted it ever since. My husband is a big guy but had more room in the Matrix than he does in the Honda. The back seat has adequate room, even for adults. Great cargo capacity and gas mileage (26.5 city/hwy). Lots of usable storage spaces - not useless/too small cubby holes. The Matrix had some nice things we had come to take for granted, like the totally automatic head lights that were controlled by an electric eye. The only time we had to touch the light controls was for the brights. Loved the 6-CD changer and great sound system. I really appreciated having the temperature read-out but wished it also had a compass (a little suction-cup compass solved that issue). The only complaint I had with the car is that the driver seat hurt my back (I have back problems so it might just be me). Nice little car, fun to drive, great gas mileage, large cargo capacity.... we LOVED it and wish we had our Matrix back!

Five Years: So Far, So Good!

by Matrix from Moreno Valley, CA | May 23, 2010

This car is GREAT. I have had zero problems since I had it from 2005. I haven't even replaced the brakes yet. Interior is spacious, and there is a lot of leg room for the rear and enough leg room for the front. There is a lot of head room, as well as cargo room. My only complaint is the ride. The engine is somewhat noisy and vibrates the entire car quite a bit. It feels and sounds like an electric toothbrush. The road isn't as noisy or bumpy as the engine is. But it is pretty bearable, and otherwise this car is great.

GREAT for the family or single life

by pregnant rollerskate from Colorado | February 3, 2010

Reliable. Reliable. Reliable. Just took ours across country (over 4200 miles) and it ran great. Never even flinched. Great for the family, plenty of room (if you travel light) and great control. My wife looks great driving it! Tinted windows make the car even more appealing. Good solid value car.

Featured Services for this Toyota Matrix