2006 Toyota Matrix

Available in 5 styles:  2006 Toyota Matrix AWD Hatchback shown

Overall

surprised blown head gasket

by too many cars from Iowa | December 31, 2013

This is a follow up to a review posted almost 4 years ago. A little surprised I had to put a $1200 head gasket repair on this car at 70k. Dealership said 'Sometimes it happens". I have owned 4 other Toyotas, (2 Previas, a Sienna, and another Matrix), 4 Mazdas and 4 Impalas that have run over 150k each with this "Not happening". Still a great car, just disappointed it cost me that much so early in it's life.

Very good lil ride!

by Randoff from Victorville, CA | March 25, 2011

Bought the 2006 XRS. Not super fast, but a great zippy lil car for the money. Had to upgrade the stock stereo...that was my only complaint. First car I've EVER owned that isn't "upside down" as far as worth.

great car

by big dogg from vallejo ,ca | September 24, 2010

great car all over ,good milaege, very comfortable ,and very reliable, ,and you can do alot with it ,hall the family and put do the back seats and go to home depot, mine is a automatic ,and it is a fast little car,and my wife and kids also drive it and enjoy it with no problems

Pretty good car

by too many cars from Stranded in IA | April 29, 2010

Purchased this car (2006 with 28K, XR) with the intention of my 8 year old driving it in 8 years. I haven't seen the 33 mpg that others have, and saw quite a bit of 17-20 mpg in winter. Required 5 speed, because all of our kids need to learn how to drive a stick. This one is a little clunky compared to the 2 Mazdas I own. Really a quick little car, and it holds a bunch of stuff. Just drove an 800 mile round trip in 2 days, and it was great. Great stereo, and nice having the sunroof. Wished that the AWD would come with a 5 speed available. The car is pretty light and doens't do great in the snow.

Reliability a Concern?

by Need Economy from Indianapolis | February 21, 2010

It must have been tough to find people who were afraid to rely on their Toyota because of recalls-- I can tell you that it's been about 20 years since I've owned a Toyota and I'm really happy with this car. The design, fit, comfort, economy and the overall dependability is great! I'm very satisfied with the Matrix, and I'd recommend a Matrix to anyone looking for a well designed car that gets good fuel economy.

So far, so good

by tmax06 from Pennsylvania | July 15, 2009

Purchased used '06 matrix awd with 71k miles on it, which is no problem for a toyota. This car is very comfortable and handles nicely. Although it may lack a little power in the long run, it is quick off the line. The awd feature is nice to have, can't wait to try it in the snow. I've only had the car a little over a week, so I hope my reliability rating stand true. The sound system is enough and the sunroof is a nice little extra. I also approve of the side and curtain airbags. Overall, I am very pleased with this car so far.

Everything we expected - and more

by Gearhead from New Mexico | June 25, 2008

We bought a used XR with 25K miles - just took a 3000 mile road trip. No mechanical problems whatsoever. I am really impressed that everything works like it should. Stable at speed . Averaged 28-32 MPG loaded to the roof with 4 people at 80 miles an hour - AC at full blast. - An excellent little car - I would definitely buy another one.

Great investment!

by Matrix Lover from Panama City, FL | January 17, 2008

I just bought my 2006 used and am super happy with it. I love the style and size. I don't feel like I'm sitting low in a car but also I don't feel like I'm having to navigate a big van or SUV. I had excellent service with the dealership. Getting really good gas mileage and is very comfortable to ride in.

Best Car for the money!

by El Chitester from Martinsburg, WV | May 25, 2007

I love this car. Not only does it look good it handles great. Even in the winter with icy conditions and a state of emergency declared I had no problem getting around in my XR!

Best bang for the buck!

by Zartan from Huntington, NY | April 5, 2007

I got a 06 matrix xr. Love the car! Pros - head room, flexibility with cargo space and mileage. The interior is nicely designed, but the materials are not that strong. The cargo space is the best - hauled a nice 2-seater couch and even a futon from ikea!! With the car fully loaded with 5 passengers and luggage travelled comfortably on long road trips. Nice car overall.