2007 Toyota Matrix

30 city / 36 hwy

Overall

I love this car

by Commuter from Milpitas, CA | July 17, 2014

My only complaint is with the front cup holders. The emergency brake is hard to release when there are drinks in the cup holder.

Love my Toyota Matrix Theory

by SHARON BEASLEY from Newcastle, Oklkahoma | December 11, 2013

As of Dec. 2013, I rated my car 5 stars, not comparing it to more luxury type cars, but to others similar to it. I have the Matrix Theory which I believe they only made one year. Not sure what makes it different, but it looks roomier to me than more recent models. I have more window area and I like that. I am tall and many such size cars make me feel cramped. I have ample head room which was important. With my long legs, I needed a car I could easily get them in the car and I can do it easier than in cars that are bigger than mine. I wanted a car with backseat leg space good enough so an adult wouldn't feel too cramped for short distances - it would not be too great on a two hour or more drive though. I made sure I could pass another car or pick up speed on a hill starting from stop and I can. My car seems to get up speed on the hill near our home faster than many other vehicles or else they all have pokey drivers. Also, I love, love my bright blue color which was the main attraction initially to this car. It is so easy to find in a parking lot - I just have to be careful how I drive since the color marks me for anyone,including patrol cars, to spot. I don't think the noise factor is bad as many mention on other reviews about the Matrix. Complaints: The lights for the gear shift setting do not come on immediately so at night that is irritating for knowing if you are in reverse or overshot that gear when about to back out of the driveway. The carpet is terrible to catch little bits of grass and such, almost like those flannel boards, and very hard to even vacuum up. The upholstery is very hard to clean as far as getting spots out. The cowls (Not sure right term) around wheel well area have come off or loose 3 times. they seem to be some sturdy tar paper component, but not sturdy enough AND they are a ridiculous price to have to buy and replace at the dealership. Lastly, my flat tire light started staying on all the time after about a year. I tell the dealership about it, and they think they fix it, but don't. Rest of good news: I get around 28 m/p/g going around on my normal driving which is a good part highway and then in town. I had SUV's before my Matrix, but the transition was fine to a smaller car except I can't drag a lot of gardening things around - I used to do gardening for others and couldn't so well in my car. I have 125,300 miles on my car. I hope it keeps going as I love it.

Reliable, cheap and practial

by Casey from Louisville KY | April 5, 2013

I had this car handed down to me from my mom, she got it when it had around 75k miles on it. I got it when it had 208k miles on it. It not has 231k miles on it and is still kicking. Neither of us have had to do more than replace tires and oil changes, and she replaced the starter and the battery at around 200k miles! Thats it! Neither of us are very good at babying our cars so if there is one thing I can say about this car is that it is built to last. Seriously, I am so impressed with how well my Matrix still drives. I do believe that now at 231k miles its starting to go downhill quickly and although it has yet to break down on me I am a little nervous about driving it. The engine rattles now and it appears to be starting to have electrical problems. All in all though I highly recommend this car to someone who isn't super picky about the look of their car and is on a budget. You can't beat a Matrix.

great roomy economical car

by dab from florida | August 10, 2012

this is the best car i have owned. great finishes, well though out interior design with exceptionel amount of room in the back when you flatten the seats for cargo space. economical but also as plenty of acceleration , it make it a fun car to drive.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Worst car I have ever owned

by NeverBuyToyota from Watertown, MA | June 4, 2012

I have a Toyota Matrix 2007 with 12,000 miles on it, I drive it on average about 20 miles a week, I took it to the dealer for an oil change and it turned into a nightmare, the oil pan is leaking and there is also a leak at the timing belt area. Cost: $670.00 I asked how is it possible that a car with 12,000 miles on it, that is well taken care of can have this kind of problems, answer, you are not driving it often enough. Unbelievable. Never buying a toyota again.

Excellent Value and MOST Reliable

by Scotty B from Rochester, NY | February 21, 2012

Just bought a used 2007 Toyota Matirx XR and I love it. I have worked for Toyota dealerships in the past and have always loved the Matrix. Was looking at a Vibe also, the Matrix was more expensive but well worth the money. It holds its value better because it is a Toyota. Even though the cars are the same vehicle with slight styling differences, the Toyota name holds more value. I love the ride and comfort of the vehicle. I hear some talk about noise, that is a simple fix...undercoat and rust proof the car. That will cut down on the noise excessively. I have no issues with noise whatsoever. The fuel economy is excellent. I travel 95% highway to and from work five days a week and a tank will last me almost three weeks. I don't have a long commute, however going from a 1995 Honda Accord EX to this is night and day. Going an extra week and saving $15 per fill up is wonderful. It has cut my fuel costs down to about $40 a month. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone that wants comfort, fuel economy, style and value.

NOT SO GOOD

by THE MOO from Huntington WV | February 16, 2012

This is why I traded my 2007 Toyota Matrix. Although the look of the car is very nice, road noise and poor gas mileage made want another car. I also had a bearing problem every 10,000 miles or so. Glad to own a new car.

2007 Matrix

by College Dad from | October 26, 2011

Great car for my college son. Purchased to replace a Toyota 4 runner...much better gas mileage, classic Toyota dependability

Noisiest car I have ever owned

by LOU e g from Gastonia, NC | January 17, 2011

This is the most uncomfortable car I have ever owned.. also the noiseiest car i have ever owned. you hear all the road noise.. poor insulation.. i took it to the dealer and the could not find anything wrong. sounded like you had a window slightly open or a leak around the door. on the positive side you get good gas mileage.. computer had to be replaced under warranty period. so no problem. price is ok but not fantastic would not buy again.

Glad I talked to a friend who owns one.

by Economic at the gas pump from Terril, IA | November 12, 2010

I started out looking for SUV's, but econimically-this is the one for me. I'm about recycling, saving energy and so an suv size wise I was looking at, but talked to a friend who has owned her Matrix for a few years and she loves it and so I started doing research on them and found out that was for me. I get 35-37 mpg with my XR, front wheel drive and my collie fits in the back-what more could a girl want!!!

Featured Services for this Toyota Matrix