2009 Toyota Matrix

Available in 4 styles:  2009 Toyota Matrix 4dr Hatchback shown

Overall

2009 Matrix S Had It Six Years

by Chroma from Upstate South Carolina | April 12, 2015

Needed four doors and a hatch. Thought Toyota would be reliable and it was, but...it felt like a Corolla with a hatch and no engineering. The good: it carried a good size load. The seats were nice. I had the S model with a bigger engine and larger wheels. The sport model looked nicer but was in no way sporty. This car was a box on wheels with no road feel. So now I'm into the bad. The car's quirky exterior design resulted in horrendous blind spots. The car had poor pedal response. From a stop pressing on the gas the car lurched instead of a accelerating smoothly. The dealership couldn't fix this. Accelerating to pass or merge sometimes there was a delay before the downshift amounting to no acceleration. And the downshifting was sometimes jerky. The sunroof emitted a turbulence that hurt my ears. Road noise at highway speed was excessive (sunroof closed). The noise competed with the radio. Windshield had a rattle in cold weather the dealer would not fix. Sold it with 94000 miles when the car started to stall out at intersections. Dealer couldn't find an issue. Only major repair issue with the car was the water pump went out at 60k miles. So I got a Honda FIT and I'm optimistic. I'm really not that picky about vehicles but some stuff bugged me. I guess I would sum up this vehicle by the sound the door made when I shut it. Hollow. But since this was not a popular car maybe you can get one cheap and your experience will be better than mine:)

Totally happy with the MATRIX...

by geneo from TEXAS | June 9, 2014

Beautiful car, economical and holds the road like glue. The ergonomics are very good, and the 5 speed allows for exceptional hyper mile driving ...!

Awsome !!!

by Andrew B from Suniside, Fl | January 8, 2014

A little sporty, a lot practical, amazingly reliable. Design is Clean & Simple, Driving is Balanced & Poised. Quick & smooth without being completely lifeless. A sport hatch for the pragmatic.

2009 Matrix

by Matrix Fan from Norman, OK | April 14, 2013

I am thrilled with the 2009 Toyota Matrix. It handles so well it is effortless. Quiet engine, smooth in every way. Interior great. Couldn't ask for a better vehicle for the price. Very glad I made this purchase. You will, too. The hatchback is fabulous. Great for loading/unloading groceries. Much better than a trunk.

love it and 2.4 liter engine and manual makes it

by money saver from san diego | November 28, 2011

Love the matrix s model with 2.4 liter engine. got manual for more fun...Well built and quiet for small car...

TRULY A WELL DESIGNED AND AMAZING CAR!!

by SWallace from Austin, TX | August 29, 2011

I purchased my Matrix a few months ago and have had 0 problems with it. The car made a road trip from Texas to Colorado and back again with no problems and getting 30-35 mpg the whole way. This car did everything I asked of it without any trouble. Recently, I was in a vehicle accident with my car. A large pile of debris on a freeway caused my car to slide into the concrete wall at roughly 50-60 mph. Both my girlfriend and I were the only occupants and we walked away with only minor bruising and sore muscles. The fact we hit the wall going that fast and had no injuries is nothing short of AMAZING! This car gets 5 stars on safety!!!! I will recommend this car to anyone and will be looking to replace my original as soon as possible.

Incredible car

by Love good cars from lincoln ne | June 29, 2011

I have owned this car for 3 years and it is awesome. have had no problems. great gas mileage. fun, sporty, comfortable. easy 4 people ride. traveled 536 miles monthly and had incredible gas mileage...uppper 30s. loved my ac plug!!! could charge the computer, DS, cell phone, etc with no adapter. satellite radio cool. just a comfortable reliable ride for 3 years. my lease is up and i am purchasing the car. wouldn't trade it for the world(:

It's Cute too!

by Economy can be fun from Asheville, NC | June 28, 2011

I love my Matrix! With a 40 mile rt commute and weekend traveling to play gigs, I needed to trade my '96 Tacoma (with 240K miles) in on something a bit more... umm... trustworthy. The Matrix is fun to drive and has the modern comforts like CD/MP3 player, remote, etc. that all the grownups already have! I have the zippy 2.4 L engine but it still gets 35 MPG on trips. Mine is bright red, so it's kind of cute too. I've had it for 6 months and still have quite a crush on it1

'09 Matrix

by The one who bought a Matrix from Los Angeles, Ca | June 6, 2011

Overall great car. I only have 2 complaints: 1. The cup holders suck 2. There is no rear windshield wiper These two things are annoying but not deal breakers. The good outweighs the bad in this vehicle.

Disappointed Matrix Owner

by Disappointed Matrix Owner from Newport, OR | May 24, 2011

Overall, I am unhappy with the Matrix. I'm sure it will be a reliable car, but it is uninspiring. The paint job is terrible and the hood and front bumper look like they were sand-blasted. Dealership told me that's just the way it goes, not a defect. The seats are uncomfortable and the headrest makes my head jut forward. The upholstery is cheap and shows water spots badly. The cup holders don't fit most cups. The gas mileage is much lower than reported. I have yet to get more than 30 mpg on the highway. You have to be prepared to spend some money on mats for the trunk area or your stuff will slide all over. Pros: my dog likes it.

Featured Services for this Toyota Matrix