2010 Toyota Matrix

Available in 4 styles:  2010 Toyota Matrix 4dr FWD Hatchback shown

Overall

2010 Toyota Matrix S AWD

by Monsterca from Auburn, Ca. | June 30, 2014

I have owned a 2007 Pontiac Vibe in the past that was the 1.8L engine . I loved it , just a little more pep i needed for the hills. So now I bought a 2010 Matrix S AWD n its perfect for the hills . Has a lot of get up n go ! Its generally the same car just a different body style . This Matrix feels really sturdy drivin down the road n heavier than the vibe did. Both are very reliable cars . The only thing I dont like about this car is , the front doors sound hollow when u shut them . The Vibes doors never sounded that way ! They were quiet n solid sounding . I felt the Vibe was a bit smaller than the newer Matrix body. Both still has alot of room inside . Also the Vibe had less road noise where the Matrix doesnt. I think I like the handling on the Vibe a bit better n the sportier look . But I like the AWD part and the bluetooth n the nice sounding loud radio the Matrix has. I would still recommend these cars to friends even if they have recalls because they both are still reliable cars .

Noisy

by F from Fairfax, VA | January 28, 2014

Good things I can say about this car are: 1- Being practical, small but useful. 2- Reliability comes with Toyota generally. Bad things are: 1- Very noisy, if you have to take a long trip you need to think about sound pollution. 2- Cheap interior. Not a good grip on the steering wheel. Some people may need a cover for the steering wheel to have a good grip. 3- Some basic models do not have cruise control. You think at this time cruise control must be standard and not an option, but Toyota can surprise you some times. It is a shame. 4- Models 2009 and up have a blind spot at the rear corner that reduces the safety and your sight. Not a good thing at all. I personally prefer 2007 model since it does not have blind spot that makes it look bigger as well. More light inside. 5- It is Toyota Corolla Matrix, but spend more gas than Corolla. Over all I think it should not be more expensive than Corolla because of higher gas consumption, less comfort, blind spot, noisy engine, very cheap material used in the interior of the car. Also, make sure you get original documentation from the dealership you buy the car from. Some of them try to avoid giving you any original document. Higher risk of fraud.

Leased Matrix

by ldberry from Norwood, MA | April 9, 2013

I leased this 2010 new. My previous car was a Corolla. I think it's a good car for the money, similar to the Corolla, but know after driving it for a couple of years, I actually like the Corolla better. It's been very reliable. Good on gas but gives a bit of a rough ride. The storage capacity is excellent but the interior styling could use some upgrades and some added luxury features. The interior cloth is decent. The exterior paint job is a bit cheap. My real complaint however, is that there are a lot of blind spots, especially around the side mirrors. I've almost hit a number of pedestrians and cars because I could not see them in my line of view because of the mirrors. Overall, it's a cute car, peppy, and good for cargo. My lease is almost up but I will not be looking for another Maxtrix this time. Hoping to upgrade to a Camry or Nissan Altima.

Matrix gets it done

by fac manager from Rochester, NY | September 14, 2012

We traded in an '04 Montana Extended Minivan which was reaching end of life for a more economical (avg. 29.5mpg), reliable, smaller set of wheels. We miss the interior storage space but not the gas guzzling (21mpg) and larger footprint. While the Matrix is not a luxury ride it is nimble, easy to park and doesn't kill the wallet. Everything seems to work well. More and more cars are available with a ton of gadgets, but unless your car is your office it's a poor investment. Our Matrix gets it done for us, and the rear hatch is roomy, though not voluminous. If you believe gas is EVER coming down below $3/gal., you're probably in the market for a bridge, too...

nice lookingcar andcan tow with it too !!!!!

by My replacement from Durham,NC | January 9, 2012

Looking for a matrix with a 2.4liter engine with a 5-speed automatic. A pretty hard car to find, had to travel out of state to purchase. pros are lots of room and I can tow a trailer with the car.

A fun drive!

by hlnkid from Annapolis, MD | July 21, 2011

I've had my Matrix for almost 2 years now and it's absolutely the most fun car I've ever owned. Good pick up, a sporty look, but with plenty of room inside, there's not much to dislike about this car. I will point out a few cons however. For a smaller car, it should get better gas mileage. I've got the top of the line XRS model and I average about 24 mpg on a combo of city and highway driving. The gas tank is a bit small, at only around 13 gallons. The paint job is a bit cheap. I've gotten quite a few chips in the hood. And, at least on this model, was no tinted windows. Usually with Toyota's you get at least the back window tinted. I hope the newer versions of this car have fixed that. Those problems are small though if you simply want to get on the road and enjoy driving again. Remember when driving used to be fun and not a war? The Matrix brings back the fun. It's a beautifully styled car with a heck of alot of room, especially if you fold down the back and passenger seat (which folds flat foward - a very cool feature). The steering is tight. Acceleration is decent, just what you would expect from a small hatchback. This is the first car I've owned that I actually WANT to keep once it's paid off. It's a just a fun drive.

Great not-so-little car

by Dog shows are my fun from Olympia, WA | July 21, 2011

I bought the 2010 Toyota Matrix, base model with just small upgrades (power doors and windows, floor mats). I was moving down in size from a Kia Sedona minivan that served me well for 8 years, and miles-per-gallon was my primary concern next to adequate cargo space for the dog crates I take to shows. The base model's greater gas efficiency was the draw. The interior is comfortable - my only quibble is that the doors have slanted "bottle holders", for the space I would have preferred something that could also hold a coffee cup or other upright drink. Seats are firm and supportive, but not stiff. It's a comfortable ride on long hauls. Cargo space is great. I LOVE that the back seats (which are 60/40 split), when folded down, make a completely flat surface, with a hard plastic surface, instead of carpeting. That hard surface does scratch easily, so it's worth throwing down an inexpensive throw rug if you're going to be hauling something that might scratch, but the ease of keeping it clean is great! I'm using the factory installed sound system with no native satellite. I installed an after-market XMSirius unit, and that works great for me. The sound system is pretty good, although one downside of the base model (don't know if it's true of the higher models) is that this car has a LOT of road noise. So the sound system has to be cranked up fairly loud to hear it well. I use the AUX input for my ipod, and it's conveniently located and turns out a very respectable sound - no static or loss of sound. Mileage is good - in the mid 30s mostly - taking into account that because of where I live and where I work and play, I do a lot of freeway driving. I've heard that as the Matrix gets up over 10=15K miles, that mileage improves slightly, and I'll be watching that to see if it's true. Handling is also good, holds the road well and is responsive. Braking could be stronger, but I'm used to a minivan with really nice tight brakes, so I think maybe I'm just getting used to a new car. Overall, I'm very pleased with my purchase, and I definitely recommend the Matrix for folks looking for a car that drives and has mileage like a small car, but has an impressive amount and utility of cargo space. And for folks who do show dogs wondering, I can fit 3 300s or 2 400s in the car, with a little room left to spare for kit bag or gear.

Expected more....

by No longer a Toyota fan from West Virginia | May 21, 2011

2010 Matrix purchased new for commuting. Since I need a 4WD due to harsh weather, and I have a long commute, I expected a lot from this car. It handles snowy road conditions flawlessly, the AWD is the best I have driven...but when it is not snowing this car disappoints. The handling is adequate, but the ride is rough, and the gas mileage is far worse than expected for a small car. I could be driving an SUV and get the 22-24 mpg I get with this thing. I have 28K miles on this car and the hood is covered in chips from normal highway exposure. I have never had a car with such a poor paint job. Others have addressed the cheap interior and poor passenger space. I purchased this car without shopping around (in a snow storm) and will not make that mistake again.

Good for the money

by d from | March 26, 2011

Should be reliable since it is a corolla. Interior a bit cheap with not as many good compartments as my old corolla. Foot well is a bit tight.

stylish and yet, practical

by jazzy1 from Portsmouth, NH | October 30, 2010

Previoulsly having driven a v6 Camry, surprisingly, this car has plenty of pick up. Great gas mileage too. We loaded 4 adults and all our luggage for a 5 hour trip to NYC. Doing 80 mph (to keep up with traffic) we got 30 mpg!!! Lots of cargo room for out recent move as well. Everytime I see another Matrix on the road, I think to myself "what a snazzy looking car."

Featured Services for this Toyota Matrix