2001 Toyota MR2 Spyder

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Excellent Driver's Car

by Car lover from Minneapolis from Minneapolis, MN | July 7, 2012

I bought a 2002 (with good pre-cats) with 19K miles last week. I LOVE THIS CAR!! I have owned several driver's cars (99 Miata 10AE supercharged, 94 Supra Twin Turbo, C6 Vette convertible all either new or less than 2 years old) yet this 10 year old underpowered, bug-eyed car with no trunk and only 5 speeds makes me happiest while driving. The driving skill that it takes to get the most out of the Corolla-based engine while carving corners is a pleasure for me. Now I can experience the agility of a light mid-engined car for less that $13K. I want the new 2013 Boxster but will happily wait for a used one in the next couple years now that I have the Spyder. My daily driver is a Lexus LS600HL which is the other end of the spectrum and I love them both!!

just what I wanted

by 2 for me from Pittsburgh Pa. | July 2, 2012

Easy on the eyes, pure joy to drive, stops and turns in apparent defiance of the laws of physics. Not suprised that it goes fast well, but that it goes slow so well, it can be in fifth gear at 1500 rpm and will pull to the redline, no shifting, with no complaints. Worst milage 31, best so far 40mpg. Top goes up and down so fast and easy its almost automatic. Only one addition I would make and that is a 6th gear for interstate crusing, put the rpms at say 26-2700 at 70 mph unstead of 3500. Plan to keep this a long time.

Great Car for the Money!

by RJK from | December 3, 2010

I've owned my car for 6 years. It was purchased solely as a toy and has been an extreme pleasure to own. After reading numerous professional evaluations of the car, the only consistant knock was that Toyota made it just a little faster than the Miata. It was a pleasure to drive in its stock form, but after a date with a professional tuning outfit, mine is just amazing. Fast and handles better than anything I have ever driven, Porche included. It handles curves like it is super-glued to the road and it literally breaks on a dime. For a small car, it is amazingly comfortable once positioned in your seat, but if you are a little larger, it helps to be moderately flexible while entering and exiting the car. This is not a utility vehicle, there is little space for anything but the enjoyment of the driving experience. Affordable to both drive and maintain it is fairly unique in this regard. The stock version is exciting, with a little tuning of the 1ZZ motor, this vehicle outperforms cars that cost 3 or 4 times as much. Highly recommended!

the wow factor

by spyder-mam from Los Angeles, CA | December 2, 2010

Best bang for your buck. This is a very stylish, powerful and affordable vehicle which offers performance at a low cost. I love this vehicle. Test drive the car to see if it fits your needs, then buy it.

My Dream Car

by TTSMR2 from Huntington Beach, CA | August 25, 2010

I LOVE my red 2001 MR2 Spyder. I have no regrets. Yes, there is very little storage and it's not a family car or suv. There are blind spots with the top up (who would put the top up?). You feel every twist in the road - almost as fun as riding a motorcycle - it's AWESOME! You can stick a surfboard in the passenger seat with the top down, beach chair behind the very comfortable racing seat and life is so good. I'll trade a trunk for that ride anyday. The suspension takes a beating and needs to be maintained with good tires for that perfect handling. I have almost 160k and not one bit of trouble - most dependable car I've ever owned, cutest and most fun to drive. I live at the beach and the top & interior is in perfect condition cuz I garage it at night. My 72 year old mother has a 1985 MR2 with over 250,000 miles on it. Someone offered her a newer, more standard car - but she declined because she LOVES her MR2. Her's has always been in the family, but I bought mine used from a dealer. I would buy another used one if my mechanic checked it out and it was well maintained.

Most Unique driving experience short of a porsche

by 2zz Swapped from Texas | August 26, 2009

S I've owned my MR-S for 3 years now, Picked it up bone stock in 07 with 19k Y miles. It was love at first ride, I Dumped a MKIV GTI a tune for this and E haven't looked back. There isn't a car R on the road under 35k I would rather C own. I have since ripped out the H carpet and sound deadening, changed the A suspension, driver seat, engine, and T added an SCCA spec rollbar. This car handles like a Go Kart with about as much storage and I wouldn't have it any other way. One of the best parts of this car is the tight knit owners community which provides ton of advice and parts for the Spyder, i've met more people whose company i enjoy through Spyder meets than I have at any other automotive gatherings.

God I love this car!!!!

by Will from Columbus, OH | August 12, 2008

I have driven over 40,000 miles in 2 1/2 years and loved every single one of them. I autocross this car and it is so much fun and extreemly quick on turns, down the road I'm gonna strip it down and use it as a strict racing machine. I would not recommend this car to a teenager because an inexperienced driver will not handle it correctly during bad weather. The moment the car losses control it is gone and not comming back until completly stopped. I find the car very reliable and easy to work on. There are some minor things that need attention but not a real hassle. Once a year I need to bleed the radiator of bubbles, because of a design flaw, which takes about the same effort as changing the oil. Pay very close attention to tire wear and tire balance. When the tires become worn down and unbalanced the steering wheel will shake when driving on highways. Overall this is the best car I have ever owned and I will never sell it, I plan to use it for racing until it falls apart from rust, then rebuild it completely and continue driving it.

The only affordable, reliable, mid-engined car

by one ton of fun from tx | January 20, 2007

If you need a lot of storage space, this car is not for you. If you want to be anonymous, this car is not for you. If however, you want a fantastic, light-weight, great-handling, really fun car, and don't want a Ferarri, Porsche, or Lotus, go for it. I've never been happier with a car.

Best all around sport coupe for the Money!!

by Test Drive Lover(SPF) from Greensboro, NC | December 17, 2006

I am sick and tired of reading Miata reviews that rate the Miata over the MR2 Spyder. I test drove both. I found that there was no comparison. The MR2 beat the Miata in every catagory. That is why I purchased my 2001 MR2. First of all, I like a car that is responsive. The MR2 is almost an extension of me when I drive. It consistently does 0-60 in around 6.7 secs. I have personally defeated every car that challenged me in a run down a road with ess curves. I don't know the exact mpg that Toyota claims for this car, but I get 32 mpg in town and 36mpg on the highway. I've had the car for two years with no problems. The only problem that I could say the car causes is the constant desire I have to drive it. Driving in heavy traffic has become fun. This is one of four cars that I own. I also own a Mustang GT which is great, but I love the MR2 more. Buy one. I would advise anyone who wants a MR2 to consider the lack of storage space. I am placing a luggage rack on the rear of mine.

Featured Services for this Toyota MR2 Spyder