2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder

25 city / 30 hwy

Overall

Roadster Fun

by Fingers from Wichita, KS | July 23, 2014

Great top-down fun. Good comfort features. Affordable and economical. Very responsive, corners flat and fast. A little noisy - would be nice to have speed sensitive volume adjustment on the radio. The top is easy to stow or put in place. High speed handling improved when I removed the front end bra on the car (presumably it interfered with air dams). I am 6'4" and 280 and find it adequate for room. Engine cover luggage rack on my shopping list. SMT easy to learn (no clutch).

2002 MR2

by East from Utah | March 15, 2014

Bought 02 MR2. Like the car as it is light and fun. The downside is somewhat tinny sound when a rock picked up by the tires hits the underbody. If you have a choice the 2003 has projector headlamps. Aftermarket tops are about 450 so do not let that deter.

just right

by lestat from upstate new york | April 21, 2013

A few years ago I went "simple". Smaller house, energy efficient, out of town, garden the whole deal. Saving alot of money but, wanted some fun. Bought a beat up MR2, and straightened "her" out and have never had so much fun. She will run "forever" My daily driver is a old Dodge Ram diesel with 675,000 miles, well my ex daily driver. this MR2 gets me into town, a little milk, some tabasco and I'm on my way home "hauling ___". Incidently, I don't ahve a cow, but growing hot peppers for my own tabasco.

Unbeatable bang for the buck.....

by Hungry PR from NH from Seacoast NH | January 9, 2013

Hi. At 35 mpg ish average mileage and bulletproof reliability, can't imagine why this car didn't sell better as new. Could be the best used vehicle "value" for a convertible if you can get the right price. DO NOT BUY the SMT(Sequential Manual Transmission), a rare mis step by Toyota and quirky/hard to fix. Stick with 5spd manual, do your homework and buy one!!!!!!!!! Paul

Excellent Drivers Car

by geearem from MN | July 14, 2012

"I bought a 2002 (with good pre-cats) with 19K miles last week. I LOVE THIS CAR!! I have owned several driver's cars (99 Miata 10AE supercharged, 94 Supra Twin Turbo, C6 Vette convertible all either new or less than 2 years old) yet this 10 year old underpowered, bug-eyed car with no trunk and only 5 speeds makes me happiest while driving. The driving skill that it takes to get the most out of the Corolla-based engine while carving corners is a pleasure for me. Now I can experience the agility of a light mid-engined car for less that $13K. I want the new 2013 Boxster but will happily wait for a used one in the next couple years now that I have the Spyder. My daily driver is a Lexus LS600HL which is the other end of the spectrum and I love them both!!"

Most fun for the $

by cdcdarien from CT shoreline | May 29, 2012

I set out to get another Porsche 911, having had 3 in the past. Came to realize that the 1984-89's I liked are approaching antique status, so I went and sampled a lot of other possibilities: BMW Z4 - fast, but heavy feelilng, stiff ride; Mazda Miata - Roof too low to sit up, chintzy plastic interior, though fun to drive; Boxster - Too pricey and maintenance and insurance could be expensive as well; Honda S2000 - Like the Miata, cramped interior (though much nicer) but great performer; Chrysler Crossfire - Cramped and heavy. Finally I remembered having done a test drive in an MR2 Spyder when they first came out. Liked it a lot, but the dealer was gouging, so I walked. Looked at lot of them before I found one with low miles, a good body and not messed-around with. For its size, it is very comfortable, has decent headroom, is light and quick and the Corolla-based drivetrain is about as close to bulletproof as you can get. Delivers 30 mpg on regular with spirited driving. Top goes up or down with one hand from the driver's seat. Only downside - there's no place to put anything except for a space behnd the seats that would fit 2 small overnight bags or a few bags of groceries. Decent examples are to be had in the $11 to 13K range.

Quick, fun & dependable

by Mikey from OKC, OKLA. | February 15, 2012

Most fun, of any car I've ever owned, It's a extremely glorified go-cart for 2 passengers. You are very close to the pavement when inside this small but roomie cockpit. It has plenty of power & handles great. What a nice mix of Man & machine companionship. This is not my 1st sports car. But, most definately the funnest & by far the most reliable.

A pure, frugal joy to drive!

by Spyder Fever from Michigan | November 15, 2011

Getting consistently higher gas mileage than my wife's corolla in city/mixed driving. It's very powerful, nimble, and responsive. Tremendous traction in inclement weather. Some of the best braking performance you will find anywhere. We are able to get a full grocery trip for a family of four loaded up between the storage compartments behind the seats and on top of the spare in the boot. Gets a lot of looks and is a pure joy on the back roads. I would not, however recommend it for extensive highway driving. If you plan on that, make sure you buy the six speed sequential manual (2003-05). Exceptional build quality and components. Hands down, the best car I have ever purchased.

Lots of Fun, Reliable and a Great Value

by Sports Car Fan from Northern Virginia | April 23, 2011

This car is true "driver's car" built for speed, performance and to remind you how much fun it can be to just get behind the wheel and go. Toyota value and reliability are the icing on the cake.

Everyone loves my car!

by Richmond Spyder from Richmond, VA | April 29, 2010

I've had my MR2 for about 2 and a half years, and I absolutely love it. I wasn't out looking for an MR2, but I turned around and saw it at the dealership and had to have it. It gets amazing gas mileage, so while driving around town, to and from work, I only have to fill up every two to three weeks. I get compliments on my car all the time, especially because you don't see too many of them on the road. Here in Richmond I've seen about 4 others in various colors; we give each other the wave that I thought was only shared by Jeep owners. :) Downsides: 1) there is hardly any storage space, so I can never go on a road trip if someone else is in the car; 2) Richmond is pothole central, so I have to be very careful to avoid them because this car, being so low to the ground, allows you to feel everything in the road; 3) rush hour can be intimidating at times with so many trucks and SUV's on the road...I have to make sure I'm never in someone's blind spot because they will not see me since the car is so small. Aside from those few things, I love this car. Is had great low-end torque, and the car will move in 3rd gear going less than 5 miles per hour, not that I make a practice of this. This is the perfect car for anyone who loves to go out for long (and fast) Sunday drives.

Featured Services for this Toyota MR2 Spyder