2012 Toyota Prius c

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Surprise !!

by tzx4 from colorado | March 24, 2014

I bought my '13 C precisely because fuel efficiency is tops on my list. I would rather send my money to the Japanese for cutting edge mechanical sophistication than send it to the oil companies / countries. A routine drive of mine is Denver to my home 80 miles west of Denver. This requires climbing 5878 feet in elevation. I bought the car fully expecting that on that climb it would exhaust the battery, and then I would be in the right lane going whatever sub-speed limit speed it could go, especially since gas motors lose 33% of their power at the altitudes of this drive. Wrong!! It maintains a rock steady 65mph all the way, and is no where near maxed out. It even maintains its battery charge. The usual MPGs on uphill leg from Denver is 42-45MPG. The fun is going down to Denver, 75-85 MPG! I like to say it gets me to Denver on one gallon. Did a road trip to Yellowstone, drove at 65 to and from, and drove all around Yellowstone. The MPG for the trip was 57. My only complaint is that the ride is harsh on bumpy roads. I have a 2000 Corolla that weighs the same, but the ride is far cushier and comfortable. Toyota knows how to do soft rides on light cars. That said, the C's handling and cornering is far sharper and responsive than the Corolla of course.

Great high mpg car

by Will from New Jersey | February 25, 2014

I traded in my 9 year old Golf for the Prius C. It's a great little car, the hatchback design makes it roomy, it's comfortable, and great for road trips or city driving. My only complaint is I'd love to see someone make a manual transmission 4 door hybrid, I still don't really like the automatic transmission.

Money saver

by Frugality from Ohio | January 25, 2014

In January of 2013, I decided to find a more fuel efficient car to replace my 2000 Acura. I wasn't unhappy with my Acura. It had a V6, plenty of pep and averaged about 26 mpg. Not too bad for that car. By my job of 26 years moved to Mexico and I had to find other employment. My commute went from 7 miles a day to 62. Over the first couple of years I put up with the fuel cost, ridiculous as it is. In January of 2013, I decided to check into getting something more fuel efficient to save some money. I would have preferred something all electric, but short of a Tesla, the range just isn't there yet. My choice boiled down to the Prius. I searched for a 2012 model left over that had not sold yet and found a few near my home. Of course we chose the one that we were given the best deal on. That was near the end of March, 2013. Currently, I have just over 20,000 miles on the car. Fuel efficiency overall is just under 53mpg. During the warmer months (I live in Ohio), there were many days that I got over 60mpg on my commute. It seems to have fallen during the Winter to about 45 to 50mpg. We have saved over $100 per month, each month relative to my Acura's mpg and the current price of fuel at each fill-up. I am quite happy with the results. It handles very well in snow and on ice. There is plently of headroom and legroom (I am 6'1" and my wife is 5'10"). If I had one concern, it would be blind spots. I've heard this from other Prius owners as well. Outside of that, we are completely satisfied.

loving this little car

by 2 Prissies from monterey, ca | November 19, 2013

My first new car purchase was a prius C2, did some research before buying it, and I made the decision knowing that it's not a all powerful 0-60 car or corner carving car, but a commuting car, which I need for work and my little family. Comfort: I'm a pretty small person, so I'd say my comfort in the car is pretty nice and to my liking Performance: It is a 100hp hybrid, so don't think to even rate the car negatively in this category or compare it to other cars that are not marketed as this little car; however, it is a great everyday car that will get you up to speed...In the city the instantaneous electric+ICE torque can easily get you a quick start/acceleration, and on the highways, you can easily go 65mph+ and pass other cars (with some flooring and planning) Exterior: I'm glad that Toyota came out with many variations of their prius, because I don't like the body styles of the other prius variations much, but the prius c's body style appeals to me, so I'm happy Interior: I've had the car for a good 7months now, and beginning to notice some rattling like some other reviews, I might do something about it, but other than that it doesn't really bother me much. And yes the interior is plastic...so if anyone who doesn't like cheap looking plastic interior design, don't buy it and rage on it. Value: It is probably the cheapest hybrid you can find on the market today, and when compared to a yaris, sure it costs a few thousand more, but if you keep your cars for the long run, I'm sure it'll return on it. Reliability: The C is still in it's infancy, but I've been reading around and it seems the C is built from a 2nd gen Prius or whatever, which has been known to be very reliable, and it is a Toyota, so crosses fingers.

It depends.

by Mama in SF from San Francisco | August 19, 2013

Like the other reviewer in SF, I too have a middling response to this car. Would I recommend it? It all depends. If you want to drive a car long distances every day and the gas savings are worth it, sure, buy it. If you want styling and comfort, look elsewhere. It's good enough, but this car has one task, and that's getting mileage. If you're no piling on miles, this is not the car to buy. Like, if you're a mom just scooting around town, putting less than 12,000 miles on your car, there are SO MANY other great cars like this that are far better made, far more comfortable, and a much better value. I live in a hilly part of San Francisco, and I too find the mileage wanting. It's around 36-40 mpg in town at its best. That's great, but I got rid of my Mini, that got 28, so it's not that big a diff. This was the first couple months I owned it. I wasn't happy (except when I was parking, and it fits everywhere. That's a plus.) Then I got a job in San Jose for six months that I had to drive 110 miles round trip each day. AH. This is when the car is worth it. On the highway I always get above 51 mpg. The monthly gas savings are paying for this puppy. But the ads say 56 in the city, 47 in the highway. I have no idea where that comes from. It doesn't come from me. So my response is middling. If you need a commuter, and need to drive something into the ground, this is the car for you. The interior (I got a Four) is ok, but the seat heaters DO NO work. They barely get warm, never hot. All the navigation junk is worthless, as the interface is so poor. I use my iphone and bluetooth. So why is the mileage so bad on hills? Must I move to the suburbs to benefit?

Responding to the "Wish There Was More" review

by Lil Saltine from Los Angeles, CA | August 19, 2013

The person who wrote the Wish There Was More review should take into consideration that they live in San Fran that is nothing but steep hills all over the place and kills mpg on ANY vehicle. I drive im eco mode and get 65-72 mpg in the city and 55 mpg on the highway. This vehicle far exceeds the 53/46 mpg the EPA estimates it will get. I agree the interior could be better but the mpg trade off is worth it.

Wish there was more.

by Airik from San Francisco, CA | August 15, 2013

Living in SF the size of the Prius C is a perfect size for finding parking. The size and mpg is the only reason I bought the vehicle. My major complaint with the car before purchasing had to do with the interior. It is depressing and does have not a regular Prius vibe to it at all. I also did not like the fact that it is a spitting imagine almost of the Yaris. I understand they are built on the same platform but I wish it had a better look and had less plastic. The Prius C is obviously more costly than the Yaris but you only receive a Yaris interior. Overall the car has worked well and is dependable, however the gas mileage is a little depressing. At this moment the car is around 5k miles and I am averaging 41 mpg which is not close to what they were promising for the car, but better than other cars around its size. Hopefully when Toyota makes the second generation of the Prius C they give it a better interior that is more like the regular Prius and less like the Yaris. I also hope they improve on the MPG.

Extremely Practical

by Rad79 from Denver, CO | July 6, 2013

Great car! I love how practical it is. Save yourself some money on gas and maintenane. It's a no brainier...

Can't beat it!

by Money, Money and oh yes....Money! from Columbus, OH | June 13, 2013

I researched for about a month and finally ended up going with the Prius c three. I actually bought this one listed on this page. I got a great deal on it and on my first trip to work i got 58 mpg's. My Previous vehicle was a Toyota Tundra getting a whopping 16mpg. I have only had this car for 3 days but i am amazed. The look of the Prius c is much better than the plain prius. It has the bells and whistles that i wanted (Bluetooth, Navigation, Climate Control, Sunroof, Cruise, great 6 speaker stereo and Smart phone apps built into the car.) Although i do miss the power and hauling capability of my truck, with gas prices being $4+ a gallon, i don't think i could ever go back. It was a no brainer for me. The amount of money I am saving pays for the car itself. Basically, i am driving a new car and paying for it with the gas money that i would have spent on my truck. I love this car. I find myself driving like a grandma trying to get the most mpg's i can out of it. the most i have got in 3 days is 64 mpg's. Shut up! Really? Yeah buddy!

Either you love em or you dont

by timmay from Atlanta, MI | June 11, 2013

This car is excellent if reviewed in only one category: fuel economy. When you compare it in ANY other category, to ANY other car, it falls WAY short. I normally ride a motorcycle during the warm months to save on gas...but even compared to the motorcycle, a Prius is only more comfortable during rain storms. The car is too small, too uncomfortable, and way too under-powered (in fact, calling this car under-powered is an insult to under-powered cars everywhere!), and forget about warm heat in the winter: remember that a hybrid engine only runs some of the time, so you only get heat some of the time.

Featured Services for this Toyota Prius c