2013 Toyota Prius c

53 city / 46 hwy

Overall

A great car

by Samuel from San Juan Islands, Washington State | May 29, 2014

We have had our 2013 Prius C II for one year. The seats are very comfortable and there is plenty of room in the front and decent room in the back. The cargo space is adequate for the average person's needs. There is the usual amount of road noise for a small car -- which means that I can't hear the radio without turning it up more than I like. [The quality of the radio and speakers is quite good]. Overall visibility is very good, except for the A pillar, which does hide some people/cars, and the rear seat headrests, which are easily removed. The head lights are excellent. Displays on the dashboard allow you to monitor the performance of the car, including the effect of your driving habits, and play an important part in helping you drive efficiently. If you can drive on fairly level roads with 35 mph speed limits, it is easy to get over 70 mpg. At 53 mph we get between 55 and 59 mpg. The car can cruise easily at 70 mph, but efficiency drops to the high 40's. In cold weather, I've seen drops of up to 10 mpg. Its one weakness is that it does not have a powerful engine, it struggles to climb hills, and fuel efficiency drops significantly. I would probably go for a larger Prius in hilly terrain. For anyone who wants an extremely fuel-efficient car, has the patience to learn how to drive a hybrid, and does not have to climb a lot of hills, this is an awesome car. It is the best car I have owned in 40 years and I would not trade it for anything else presently on the road.

interesting car

by fuel miser from Fort Worth TX | May 13, 2014

delivering the fuel economy that I expected, good economy at 60 to 65 mph. but falls down above that.

MPG for Prius

by Dil from charlotte,nc | May 4, 2014

I noticed that If I drive on hiway less than 55 mp/hr, I get 54-60 mpg instead of 46 mpg Best value for a compact car

press reviews are wrong

by tz from Colorado | April 6, 2014

If you do lots of online research you are going to read about wind noise in this car. Yes, at 70+ miles an hour there is some wind noise, However once I get the air conditioning blower up past about the fourth speed there's far more noise coming from the ventilation system than the wind noise from the car. In fact the wind noise is quite minimal which would seem to make sense in an aerodynamic car. If you are on a quality road with a smooth surface the car is actually remarkably quiet at highway speeds. Coarse road surfaces are another story. You will also read tons of complaints about lack of power. I call bogus here too. My C climbs any upgrade here in Colorado (I-70) at the speed limits with power to spare. Yes it does work hard, like any small car with a small four-cylinder, but it is nowhere near maxed out. I had the car up to 99 miles an hour in Wyoming last summer and it still had some power to spare but I ran out of safe road (as in legally safe- knowing no one such as officers could be observing me) and had to back off. So no, it does not accelerate like a musclecar but it gets up to speed and with superior aerodynamics and all the low rolling resistance tricks, it has plenty of power to maintain whatever speed you want. My over all average MPG which includes lots of highway speeds where hybrids are not as advantageous, not to mention all the hillclimbing I do here in the Rocky Mountains, stands at 55 to the gallon. This number is figured from the old-fashioned Calculator, odometer reading, and gallons method. The display on the dash is optimistic. It claims 57. Do note if you live in an area with lots of cratered poor quality roads, the ride in the C is a bit stiff. There is also the common complaint that the CVT makes noise. I don't know what they are talking about unless it is the increasing and decreasing pitch whine at very low speeds which I believe is the noisemaker under the hood to alert pedestrians. So far I really am loving this car.

Prius C 4 in Alaska

by Freezin in AK from Fairbanks, AK | April 2, 2014

I have had the 2013 Prius C 4 for a year now. I am averaging 42 mpg in Fairbanks Alaska. Let that set in for a moment. 42 mpg in Alaska for a yearly average. In the summer I am getting near 60 mpg on a regular basis. In the winter I get closer to 30. This car has seen -50 F and starts like a charm. I adjust my driving style to get the maximum mpg I can and am always in ECO mode if not EV mode . My biggest complaint is that I am big (decent) sized guy at 6 foot 2 inches and do not have the room I would like in the driver seat. This is truly a commuter car for me and my wife to drive around town in. I would not suggest taking it on long trips. For that we will use her Prius V (we are getting 38 mpg year round). Keep your belts on, speed down and safe driving everyone!

Fuel Efficient, but Not an Optimal Drive

by LoveToDrive from Boston, MA | March 14, 2014

I owned a Prius C for 6 months. The pros: excellent gas mileage @ an overall 43mpg, but less than expected (quoted at 46 city and 53 highway…..many have have had mpg well beyond 50mpg) ~driving 50% highway and 50% gridlock Boston traffic. Highway mpgs were typically in the mid-30's. Spartan front dash is simple and easy to navigate. Nimble and quick with good turning radius. Economical, affordable, & reliable. The cons: Acceleration was tortoise-like at best. Very slow. A white-knuckle ride passing tractor trailers on the highway.No lumbar support/uncomfortable seats for drives longer than 30-45 minutes. Replaced 2 windshields in 2 months' time due to rocks, etc. from the highway ( a design flaw, perhaps? Prius C rides very low to the ground). Frost occured on the inside of the windshield. Takes a long time to heat the cabin, especially in cold weather. Sun visor doesn't provide adequate coverage. Larger gas tank & windshield washer reserve would be helpful. Check engine light went off at 7,00 miles.The takeaway: the Prius C would prob. do best in warmer climates and mostly city driving, where mpgs would excel. Colder climates, and lots of highway driving, are not a great fit for the Prius C. If you love to drive, and want a more comfortable ride with the same reliability and good mpgs, there are plenty of other alternatives.

aw she's so cute

by aj mom from california | March 3, 2014

I bought the four version. Price was 21,8oo...A bunch of features and still a good price. My teenage sons are not happy with it. They do like me driving them around more than before and not complaining about the gas. I get 55 mpg. Awesome to get more than the ratings for a car. Hope to enjoy it for many years.

Great on mileage, poor on comfort

by Shiny1 from Taos, NM | March 2, 2014

I bought the 2013 C4 with moonroof and 16" wheels. Getting the 4 package helps make the car feel like a luxury economy car if one can say that. The car is fun to drive and has plenty of pick up and go and I am averaging 57 mpg. I have no issues with the acceleration. The ride is a little stiff and interior noise noticeable but not obnoxious. My main complaint about the car is the driver's seat. I have tried all combinations of the 6 way adjustable seat and still have lumbar pain from even short drives. For me there seems to be no adjustment that works so I am looking into lumbar pillows. Once I solve the seat issue I see no problem in taking the car on the interstate for long distances.

reliable car, gas saver.

by sunshin from palmdale | February 19, 2014

great commuter car, excellent gas saver, a lot of mileage per gallon. i bought the top of the line prius c, and i love it. it suited my purpose. there is speed when i needed. i average 52 mileage per gallon. big saving for me, it all depend on how you drive it. this car is sporty looking, that is why i decided to buy this compact hybrid car, and toyota prius has good hybrid history.

Prius C vs. Yaris

by Mick from Georgia | January 25, 2014

The pick up and handling of this smaller-size Prius are better than expected, about the same as driving the Yaris. Compared to the Yaris, however, the interior is more cramped, with little storage space and backseat headrests that can't be removed, and block much of the back window. The gas savings vs. the Yaris are probably only going to make a substantial difference to someone who does a lot of driving, particularly city driving, so if you are choosing between the two vehicles it comes down to cost vs. comfort. The Prius C is a good car with many hi-tech features, but don't pay too much extra money for it vs. the Yaris, because you aren't likely to recoup it soon.