2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in

51 city / 49 hwy

Overall

Moden Tron

by Juan Magas from Chicopee, MA | May 6, 2014

We traded in our 2012 for this 2014 Prius Plug-in and the new one gets 2 miles more on a charge. Our 2012 would only charge to 11.4 miles and get about 13, but this 2014 charges to 13.4 miles and gets about 15! We traded in because we were trying to downsize from 3 cars to 2, so along with our 2006 Baja Sport, we traded 2 cars in for one! We are very satisfied with the plug-in. Around town, we always use electric and then plug it in when we get home. We usually reserve about 11 miles of electric until our GPS NAV shows about 16 miles to our house before we switch over on round trips out of town. Our home electric bill doesn't seem to be affected by the constant charging to top off the cars electric, so at high $3 gas per gallon, we are ecstatic at overall 59 mpg. Yes, some might say that the extra cost for the basic plug-in over a regular Prius isn't worth it to them, but we get $2,500 in tax credit and enjoy the extra green that we save the Earth and our gas station budget. The basic model offers most everything you could want short of leather seats! The power with both the gas and electric working together really gives us the boost for up inclines. Overall, we will continue to sing its praises and be green customers. The only thing that we honestly would upgrade to is the all-wheel drive Tesla Model X, but it is like 2 years overdue and we don't know if the all electric will ever be better than a multiple energy source car. So, please won't one of you entrepreneurs come up with a solar/battery/gas/hydrogen 4-wheel drive automobile at a price less than that of a small house? Until then, we believe the 2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in is the best you can get!

Exceeded expectations

by Bobble from Oahu, HI | January 30, 2014

It took a whlie for me to get use to driving this plug in hybrid efficently. However, after 35K miles I am getting 97 mpg accordig to the onboard computer. I think it is more like 93 mpg. However a big caveat is in order. I drive to and from work daily on Oahu, HI. We have horrible rush our traffice, deemed the worst traffice in the country (honolulu). So, obviously, that keeps my speed down. According to onbaord dispay, my average speed over the life of the car is 25 miles per hour. I also am able to cahrge at home and work.. My experience is that I can get about 14 miles on a full charge, pure elcectricity. The key is to mix the gas and electric use. I use the electric for going up hills. Regenerate going down hills. I learned to accelerate very slowy...as if I had a choice, it is a prius. Oh, then there is the traffic....Lastly a big perk for me is the abilty to use the HOV (car pool) lane, even if I'm the only one in the vehicle. Paid 32, 750, the sticker, they would "deal" at all. This is a car bought for MPG (gas is really expensive in HI), not performance. I'm happy with car..

Purchase for the MPG

by GIrl with a long commute from Cerritos, CA | January 26, 2014

This is a no frills kind of car and you're purchasing this for the savings on gas and possibly driving in the carpool lane. You're paying for the technology - not for anything fancy in the interior. It does get great gas mileage, but know that comes at a cost. The car doesn't have much power. Also note that it takes 3 hours to charge and only has a 12mile range on electricity. However - if you're considering this car compared to the similar vehicles in the market, this vehicle will probably have the most value if you decide to trade it in. I couldn't gamble on the Chevy Volt or Ford Fusion. Highly recommend to test drive all of the vehicles you're interested in!