2012 Toyota Prius v

44 city / 40 hwy

Overall

2013 Brand new prius gear shifts to neutral

by DRK35 from NC | January 7, 2014

I am absolutely disappointed becoz Gear shifts automatically into neutral from reverse as well as from drive. This is only a 2 month old car bought in november 2013 and having problems already in jan 2014. I will take it to the dealer but this should not happen to new cars. No more toyotas for me. Hondas are much better I guess.

All good.....except

by jmk70 from Danville, Illinois | August 2, 2013

We like everything about the car EXCEPT: Plastic trim on interior scratches very easily; and if you get any tar or other blemish on the black plastic trim around the side windows; do NOT try to remove it. Any rubbing with any kind of cleaner will also remove the "black" from the trim and leave an off-white plastic underneath. A car in this price range should not be using plastic trim anywhere on the exterior where it will require cleaning. I have written Toyota as well as my local dealer to see what can be done about this problem, but seriously doubt they will take any action. Cheap materials if you ask me.

Favorite Car Ever

by My Wife's Car from Florida | July 17, 2013

I call this car my wife's car because it is just not cool for a man to have a Prius V as his car yet, haha. Obviously the outside looks are not the coolest. I have had four brand new cars and and four or five used ones and this car is the best car I have ever had by far. It is just close to perfect. The drivers leg room is like a minivan with no middle console. In other words it is wide open. The back seats actually recline about a third of the way back and my kids often have them reclined for comfort and sleep. It gets way better gas mileage than it is rated for which is the exact opposite of what I have experienced in domestic models. We average 45 mpg all the time, though the console tells us we are getting 47. The only time the gas mileage is bad is on interstate trips going over 75 mph. then we only get about 39 mpg. Though it is close to perfect I do have a few complaints. The GPS is abysmal to say the least. It is so bad that it is completely worthless and I spent extra just to make sure we got it thinking that it would be a great convenience. We use our smart phones or our Garmin instead for GPS. The floor mat in the back always slides forward on top of the floor vents that are supposed to circulate air to the back. The floor vents back there barely blow any air and do not circulate air well at all. They need to put some regular vents back there on the middle console. Overall the car is a technological miracle and a joy to drive but it needs some minor refinements as I am sure it will get since we bought the first model year.

Prius V

by Prius v owner from Bowie, MD | July 10, 2013

The only issues I have with the Toyota Prius V are road noise and engine noise. Perhaps in their next design they can buffer the sound from the road.

new adventure in driving

by Yankee from Maine from Bethel Park, Pa. | May 13, 2013

The car is about one month old. We looked at about 8 cars looking for good gas milage and storage capacity and, for- tunately after we passed on the Rav 4, the Toyota salesman showed us the Prius v. The seating is wonderful and spacious with plenty of shoulder and elbow room . There are several areas for personal storage plus two glove compartments. It is like sitting into the future with a great instrument display to keep in touch with all of the battery/ engine modes. I admit that it does not have the torque of my wife's 2012 Jeep grand Cherokee but ,for a Yankee from Maine, I love driving around frequently without the gas engine engaged. I manage very well with the eco, non eco and power modes. So far, it is the best car that I have owned and, as mentioned, it seems like a step into what the future may bring to us. Plus, it has plenty of cargo space.

Another great Toyota.

by Prius Pokey from Warrington, PA | May 2, 2013

After owning a 4Runner for 14 years I was optimistic about purchasing a Prius V. This car did not disappoint. Any negatives I read about the car simply did not come up for me. Road noise - nah. Bad acceleration - maybe a bit but not bad for a small engine. Cornering - Just fine. Love the Entune, especially the Bluetooth Phone interface. Electronic shifter can be confusing, but I am getting it. So far getting 44 mpg overall. Very happy with my purchase.

Great Car, Great ride

by Sunnyx from East Texas | March 28, 2013

This car is very smooth, quiet, and comfortable, even for my 6'4" husband. I bought the Prius V II with upgrades (heated leather seats, etc.) It was used but with only 4k miles on it. I am getting slightly less than 40 miles per hour, but it is just under that. I commute 60 miles round trip to work with starts and stops in some stretches, and straight stretches in others. I love the extra features on the car. I've only had it for about a month, but it is doing great so far.

54.1 mpg in a V , for 8,000 mi

by vintage racer SB from Bradenton, FL. | March 1, 2013

I'm realy surprised, but very pleased, though my gas sta mgr., says he misses me, we still have our talks, but not so often. Did I mention my wife refuses to drive the Prius, because of what she calls it a funky gear shift . She went off & bought a 3rd car, that doesn't show the MPG, and has a conventioal shifter. Any ideas for me ? .............sb

Prius V Whine

by Prius V Owner from | December 12, 2012

We have had our Prius for 11 months, and after a few months it whined upon starting to drive when cold. It has done it off and on for many months. Toyota is trying to find a solution to this whine, but has been unable to. There are only a few Prius Vs in our area with this problem, unfortunaely we got one. It drives fine, and does not appear to be life threating, so Toyota won't refund the money we paid for it. We like the car and the gas milage, so we are trading it in on a 2013, with hopes that it does not have the problem. Other than that, we really like the car.

Great gas mileage!

by New to Prius from Portland, OR | December 6, 2012

It is what it is - a small wagon with awesome gas mileage. You're not buying this car for performance or styling. But I've been getting 42-43 mpg combined hwy and city, it is a comfortable car (although not for everyone, my wife hates the seats) with good cargo capacity. I have the V3 model with navigation but cloth seats. The enTune system didn't work right initially but was fixed with a software upgrade by the dealer after they ran diagnostics on it. Overall glad I bought it.