2001 Toyota Prius

52 city / 45 hwy

Overall

Can't beat 40 mpg in this economy

by alternative fuel fan from Sacramento, CA | September 16, 2012

Love the Prius. Travel more now than ever before on the same money. Seats 5 and has all the power we need. Plenty of cabin and trunk space. Awesome.

Great MPG and Money Saver

by Computer Enthusiast from Cincinnati, OH | July 2, 2012

My 200,000 mile Prius has an average of 31 MPG over the 200+ I have driven. Can easily get 50 MPG on the highway. Tip: Avoid buying new hybrid batteries from a dealership. Refurbished are cheaper and can have a 3 year warranty (longer than a new batt). The hole I care about it isn't in the ozone, it's in my wallet.

Great car. Excellent overall value

by usnavystgc from Bowling Green, KY | November 10, 2011

Purchased an 01 in Jun of 09 with 86K miles. I was initially concerned about that but, after two years of driving it with virtually no issues, I have grown to respect the reliability and unique value these cars provide. Avg fuel economy is about 40 mpg in all types of driving. It is amazingly easy to service. Highly recommended.

Great car, I've gone through one battery

by Prius Driver w/ One Battery Failure from Mesa, Arizona | January 31, 2010

Performance, reliability, and driving are excellent. I have a cute spoiler and a couple small racing stripes that make the car look sporty. It's a quiet car. I love it! Of note: I experienced battery failure at 79,600 miles and after about 8 years of driving in Mesa, Arizona. The car began to lose power and the brake would come on automatically and at random times while I drove. I'd have to pull over, turn the car off, and then on for the auto brake to shut off and allow me to drive again. I took my car into the local toyota dealer and they said my battery was dying. Fortunately the battery was replaced under warranty (warranty was up at 80,000 miles or 8 year so I barely was under warranty) without cost to me. The car is running in excellent condition once again. I average 50 miles to the gallon. It lacks power up steep hills and accelerating onto the freeway, but I don't mind, it's saving me money in gas. Also, it takes a little while to get used to the brakes, just stop a little before you should brake until you are used to them. When I drive this car I feel safe and know that it will be reliable. I would highly recommend this car to anyone. One word of advice: save up enough money to replace a battery (if needed) in advance and enjoy the ride.

A dependable automobile

by A Prius Person from Middle Georgia | February 13, 2009

This generation Prius established the hybrid as a dependable automobile. Toyota, and its dealers in general, provided excellent service throughout the warranty period. While other auto manufacturers are finially building hybrids, Toyota now has a 10-year headstart.

nothin but trouble

by m from | February 8, 2009

i bought this car brand new and it was a great car for about 2 yeaars. Once it hit the two year mark i have had nothing but trouble with the brakes, alighnment, tires not lasting long, enigine trouble twice now, and well just the overall fell of a good rreliable toyota.

I love my Prius

by Euonymous from South Shore, MA | January 4, 2009

I bought a 2001 Prius in April 2001 when my Saab 900s blew a headgasket. The Prius has great headroom, is comfortable, and has great visibility. It took a while to get used to not having a big engine stretching out ahead of me, but now I'm ok with that. In 2001 there was no cruise control factory option, although there is now. That was the only feature I wanted that wasn't available. I had wanted a fuel cell car, but nothing was available then. Oh, wait, there's STILL nothing like that available. (&$*!) Fit and finish are excellent (that ruled out the PT Cruiser). I bought the extended warranty although that goes against my cardinal rule about wasting money, but it supported another cardinal rule about not buying the first production or introduction year of ANYTHING. Pleased to say the warranty was not needed. The big battery has never been a problem. No real problems with the car. After a year or two I bought a new set of tires and immediately thereafter got a recall notice from Toyota on the tires. They replaced all 4 and repaid me for what I had spent on the new tires. I thought that was admirable. So, FYI, Toyota feels strongly about the tires you use with the Prius. Only use of the extended warranty was due to a torrentially raining day, parked in a deep puddle in restaurant parking lot and shorted the 12 volt battery. Toyota replaced it, otherwise it would have been $212 for a 12 V battery !!! (By the way, Uncle Pete's Hickory Ribs in Revere... pulled pork to die for.) My dealer has slimy sales people but an excellent service department, so I still use them. At 90K miles I'm getting about 45 mpg on mostly highway driving. I take good care of it, but my only add-on to the car was some matching-color, vertical, door side guards. Only got white because it was available immediately, otherwise would prefer the metallic light green. The brakes and acceleration are a bit funky, but I'm used to it and it's ok with my driving style. Love the car. Highly recommended. Will probably buy a new Prius if a fuel cell car isn't available when this one dies.

very good car no major problems in 130,000+ miles,

by oscar from Richmond, In and Haines City, FL | November 2, 2008

Bought new in 2001 and no problems with any part of vehicle. Seems to be hard on tires as I am on my 4th set in 130,000+ miles. I am still geting good milelage 45 to 52mpg consistingly.I am still on the same set of brakes and the original 12v battery. Have not had any problems with the hybrid batteries or system. I will definitely buy another one if this one wears out.

Featured Services for this Toyota Prius