2002 Toyota Prius

2002 Toyota Prius
Available in 1 styles:  2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan shown

52 city / 45 hwy

Overall

Experience major breakdown on first road trip

by Commuter from md | April 2, 2012

Although we experienced a major breakdown on first road trip a couple months after purchase, after repairs ($1100), everything appears to be fine. My daughter took a 3500 mile road trip a few days later. I've owned the vehicle for 3 months. Averages over 50 miles per gallon. My Saturn got about 300 miles to the tank. This car gets well over 400 miles to the tank. It takes between 8 and 9 gallons per fill up.

Excellent Buy

by pushdog from Huron, OH | January 26, 2011

For a small hybrid this car provides a comfortable ride, good performance, outstanding reliability, and of course great mileage. Even my tall, 14 year old son is comfortable in the back seat. A little lacking in exterior styling, but a great buy.

Former Prius Fan

by Former Prius Fan from Austin, TX | November 22, 2010

About 18 months ago, I bought a 2002 Prius for what was a pretty good deal at the time - about $6,500 (I always buy used). But since then I've spent more than $3,600 in repairs ($2,000 to replace the ABS system, and now more than $1,300 for various battery issues). If I'd had any idea that I would spend that much money on repairs in only 18 months, I never would have bought the car. The money I saved on gas couldn't possibly make up for the repair costs. Now that I know how much they cost to maintain, I'll never buy another hybrid.

Most fuel efficient car I've ever owned

by screwbigoil from New Richland, MN | November 21, 2010

My own 2002 Prius is the only hybrid car I've ever driven. When I bought it two years ago it was in a panic facing higher gas prices. For commuting to work it is a very fuel efficient and quiet little car. I drive rural roads up to 55 mph and average usually around 46 miles per gallon of regular gas. Extreme winter cold will bring it down to 33 mpg. Cruising on a smooth, level freeway will bring 50 to 55 mpg at 65mph. Pushing the tiny engine beyond 65 mph results in a screaming engine and very poor fuel economy which nosedives as speed increases. I have seen mpg's in the 60's in city driving at 45 mph and less. Ergonomics are weird with the transmission selector covering your veiw of some controls and the steering wheel at an odd angle. The steering feel is like driving a video game and the brakes require a shoe full of helium as they are very touchy and sensitive to the slightest pressure. Long trips are not recommended as the seats are hard and lack adjustments, and there is no telescoping steering wheel. But unlike it's younger 2004 to 2009 Prius the 2001 to 2003 Prius are equiped with factory cruise control which works well except on hills. Obsolete design and ergonomics but a good used car and absolutely reliable. The original 12 volt starter battery which resembles one that would be found in a motorcycle lasted 8 years at which point Toyota upgraded to a larger battery which is easier to obtain at any auto parts store. One flaw; the shifter allows the ignition to be turned off while the computer stays powered up which in a tire dealer's garage can mean a dead starter battery. I am waiting for prices to come down on used 2010 Prius.

I love my Prius!!

by Gas saving lover from South Bend, IN | November 2, 2010

I bought a 2002 and get over 40 mpg. The newer models do even better. I know this because I rented a brand new one and easily got over 60 mpg for well over a month. I bought the 2002 because I could pay cash and not have a monthly payment. I am very happy with it. The only reason I don't get it a 5 on performance is because it doesn't have alot of get up and go but it definitely gets the job done! Twice in the last month a deer has tried to get in front of me and I will be so sad if I end up hitting one because I know I won't find such a great car at such at great price again.

This car is awesome

by CT Prius Owner from Montville, CT | May 9, 2009

I commute about 600-750 miles per week. In 2004 I had done some research and wanted to get a hybrid for my trips back and forth to NYC to save some on gas. However, all of the dealers were charging an extra $5000 to get the car and there was a waiting list. I found a used one with 54,000 miles on it on labor day 2004. The car has been rear ended twice, side swiped once (none were my fault), I've replaced the tires and the brakes once. 5 years later I have 180,000 miles on it and it keeps on going, giving me about 45 mpg. I change the oil about every 8,000-10,000 miles, and have it inspected and serviced at 50,000 mile intervals (Twice in 5 years - next one will be at 200,000 miles). I also own a Chevy pickup, a Porsche boxster, and had a Chrysler 300 ltd touring edition. I wish they were as reliable. The only complaint - minor - would be that I have to shovel the plow wake away from my driveway or the Prius won't make it through. Aside from that its a great car, and I save about $1400 a year on gas let alone maintenance.

Alice - nothing can stop her

by Alice from Stamford, CT | May 7, 2009

Extremely reliable. I have driven it up to 85,000 miles now and got it checked at the dealer before a long trip...still no mechanical flaws at all. The seats are soft and supportive, the driving position is high and visibility on all sides is great. There is a lot more room for passengers in the back seat than the outside might make you think. My milage average is closer to 40 mpg. I took a point off for handling because the car does not have great grip on snow or wet pavement when for example, accelerating around a corner from a stop in the rain. But I gave it 4 stars for handling because it is so nimble in traffic. The interior design is very clean and mostly ergonomic...I like the controls in the center, but my gripes are: no center armrest for the driver, no center console, and the gearshift blocks some the driver's view of some radio buttons. But the "open cabin," while not cradling the driver, does create a feeling of spaciousness in a small car. The new prius does not have these problems. This car is great for customization : I've added an aftermarket sunroof (no problems!) and roof rack. These may account for my lower milage than other drivers. The alloy wheels sparkle and the rear spoiler gives a nice sporty look. The quietness of this car while driving in the city and silence at idle is amazing! Every time I'm stuck in traffic or making circles trying to find a place to park I am glad to know that I'm not burning any fuel or polluting...it runs on battery power alone. So cool!! Oh, and it has a very tight turning radius. I almost never make 3-point turns, usually just make one turn and I'm in the opposite direction in no time! What a great car...not a sporty/"driver's" car but great nonetheless.

135Kmi and still like new

by Ericheatherh from Reno, NV | April 11, 2008

This car never seems to age! with well over 100K miles now the car still runs and looks like a new car, no wear on the upholstery, quiet/smooth drive (I think I can still smell a little "new car" smell also :)). I have never owned a more reliable car. I love this car! The factory GPS is actually pretty good. I have an override to use it while driving and I use it nearly every day and it is always right.. I consistantly get 50mpg! The car has some pep but when I get 50mpg I don't care much about not winning any "street light races". I gave it 5 stars for performance because speed is not the cars objective, mileage is, and in that regard it definitely deserves 5 stars. Hybrids are still on the expensive side compared to other gas cars but with gas prices still on the rise, I am happier each day about my purchase :D

I'm a Believer

by Gas-Hater from Austin, TX | October 16, 2007

I bought an 02 Prius a few years back and loved it so much, I bought an 07 just the other day and gave the old one to my grandaugher. Once you get used to that great fuel economy you cant returno to regular gas engines.

MIleage, Mileage, Mileage!! Great Car

by Love to buy cars from Kansas City, MO | March 10, 2007

You can not overlook the benifits of having a Hybrid. I boiught mine used and wanted to see if I liked the Hybrid technology. I no longer even look at the price of gas. Might be $2 per galon or go up to $5, either way I do not care...I will use only 10 gallons to get 500 miles :-)

Featured Services for this Toyota Prius