2005 Toyota Prius

See Photos & Videos

Overall

Amazing, no repairs in 8+ years

by Prius devotee from Heathsville, VA | February 26, 2014

We were thinking about replacing our 05 Prius with 143K miles on it, with an AWD Subaru, but then we thought my God, no repairs at all all this time, just basic maintentance, why should we trade it in now, it's like FREE now. So, we will re-eval trading in maybe a year from now, possibly. In our 143K we've done a 10K mile trip around the country, been to Key West from Virginia a dozen times. Seriously, never any mechanical problems, not even the brakes, never a breakdown. At our reacent 142K mile ck up, they said great shape, suggest first change of spark plugs ($187), brakes still great (original). We cant believe how good this car still is, and averaging 45ish mpg right now on the original sparks. I highly recommend this car, just make sure all the basic maintenance intervals have been done.

Watch out for that Hybrid Battery!

by MattS from Raleigh, NC | February 12, 2014

I have an 05 Prius, 8 & 3 months old, 93K miles on it. The hybrid battery just went. It has a warranty of 8 years / 100K miles, and of course it dies a couple months after the warranty expires. Toyota corporate/dealerships say its past warranty, too bad. The cost of replacement is $3500, which completely negates any positives from gas mileage over the years. The brakes have also been most troublesome than average. No issues with power train. Personally, I'm never buying another hybrid or toyota again given the cost of the hybrid batter and that it dies a couple months after warranty.

Prius

by jreb777 from LAX | July 20, 2013

A good solid car. It's excellent value for the money. Would recommend this car to any one. No regrests

Great Car anytime

by Fun2SaveGas! from Washington, DC | March 11, 2013

My first Prius is amazing! As a 2005 it's 8 years old, but still got 50.4 mpg on the 16 mile trip back(through rush hour city traffic) from the dealership! Surprisingly spacious inside, more pep than I thought. Not as stylish as other cars, but happy to be saving so much gas!

Greqt car

by gas miser from Sanibel, Florida | January 24, 2013

I bought this 2005 several months ago after searching for several months. It was a one owner, and had 30,000 miles. Very spacious and comfortable, not to mention reliable.

Ok car.

by dcsmith from minneapolis, mn | December 24, 2012

12 volt battery failed within 1 week of ownership. I took the vehicle to the dealership and was told that I must have left something on. The car failed to start 2 more times. I replaced the faulty 12 battery meyself. I now waiting for the next failure.

Best car I've ever owned

by Business traveler from Maryland | September 1, 2012

My 2005 Toyota Prius maintained high gas mileage, was comfortable for people of all heights and sizes in both the front and back seats, was very versatile for cargo of all shapes and sizes, handled well in all weather conditions, and had lots of front seat storage spaces. I had close to 200K miles on it when it was struck by a truck (left front side). Airbags deployed; no one hurt. Car totaled.

2005 Prius Review

by Toyota Prius Review from Edison, NJ | June 26, 2012

Bought car for the gas milage. The car is in nice shape with high mileage. Most of these used Prius have been driven, but the one we purchased still runs good and has given us no trouble, I am very happy with my purchase. Alot of room, and great gas mileage. Used Cars.com alwasy to find all my cars, makes things easy. Very happy with my purchase and very happy with Cars.com for helping me find the car I wanted! Thanks

very reliable car

by green car enthusiast from Central Kansas | January 23, 2012

This car was the lowest cost per mile vehicle I have owned. I drove this vehicle over 163,000 miles but have driven other vehicles even more miles. My mileage over the 163,000 miles was over 46 mpg.

Two Prius Owner

by Prius 2005 and 2010 Prius from Wilmington NY | June 24, 2011

05 has 186,000 miles on it. Drive in Northern NY in a mountainous area, never a problem. Three sets of brake pads. ( first one 90000), one muffler, serp. belt and water pump, two front bearings. Handles the same as the first day. 2010 Only 20,000 so far. Runs perfect. More zip than 05 and better mileage. ( 05 45mpg, 2010 50mpg) Best cars I have ever owned.

Featured Services for this Toyota Prius