2006 Toyota Prius

60 city / 51 hwy

Overall

nice

by prius from md | November 4, 2013

50 miles per gallon PRICELESS easy to find cars on Cars would use it again. More pickup then expected

Mr

by joeshmo937 from Huntsville, Ohio 43324 | December 17, 2012

A very nice vehicle, but not very comfortable when driving long distances, over a thousand miles. Excellent fuel economy even when driving 70 mph, I've had the vehicle for just a month and living up north with temperatures in the 20's at night and 30-40 during day I still get 45 mpg. Using good gas like Shell vs. Marathon makes a big difference about 3-4 miles per gallon. I hope I can drive this vehile for many more yrs to come. By the way, I flew down to West Palm Beach Florida from Columbus Ohio to purchase my Toyota Prius and saved about $4000.00, it was difinately worth the trip. My Prius has Leather Seats, Navigation, 6-Disc In Dash CD Player, Back Up Camera, PW, PDL, ETC Very nicely equiped...to bad Toyota didn't think about "Heated Seats", I have that feature with my Chrysler Town & Country LTD. Also the JBL Sound System in my opinion is not that good, sounds like a Transistor Radio, no Base at all only Highs & Mids, Toyota needs to step up to the plate when it comes to quality sound in they're Prius. But over all a very nice vehicle for the money, Used in my opinion is the way to go, just make sure your buying a one owner vehicle & it has been serviced on a regular basis with documentation to back it up + a clean Carfax.

I'm so glad I bought a Prius

by Red Baron from Arlington, VA | August 26, 2012

Six years and 110,000 miles after buying this car, I believe it to be perhaps the best buy of any piece of machinery in which I've ever invested. It drives economically and easily, and it teaches you how to drive it by providing feedback on mileage on a 5 min basis -- it's amazing. When I decided I would buy one, so many people came up with unfounded rumors about the battery, about electrical engine failures -- none of which panned out. Americans must have "fear of novelty" disease. I'm baffled. My latest use of the Prius is as a 1 kW emergency backup 110V AC power supply for my house (just the refrigerator, computer and a few lights). It works dandy. Basically, I cannot understand why anyone would buy anything else, unless they just can't afford one (not a bad excuse, actually). Bravo, Toyota. My next car will be a Prius.

Great gas mileage

by Prius owner from Akron, Ohio | June 26, 2012

I bought a 2006 Toyota Prius in February of this year. I have owned it for about 5 months. It is reliable, decent in the snow, but the gas mileage is its most impressive feature. I consistently get in excess of 50 mpg. This is in city driving, and I am not aware of any car that comes close.

2006 prius-better than expected.

by ssapsycho from lebanon TN | March 13, 2012

Prius...you expect no power,you expect no frills,you expect no room...this car has gadgets my wifes lexus doesnt. its peppy,no racecar to be sure,but compared to a honda fit? its a racecar. four adults fit comfortably with plenty of legroom. fit and finish is tight,better than a corolla and about as good as a camry.and ...of course it gets between 42(cold weather) and 48(warm weather) mpg. its now 3-2012...gas is 3.60 for reg unl. 11.5 gal tank you do the math. what kind of yardage does your tank get? this car used with 120,000 mi was 9800.00 those are the facts,have a nice day.

Toyota must do something

by Blind in one eye from Louisville, KY | December 14, 2011

My wife and I purchased this car used. Shortly after the purchase, The passenger head light went out. No big deal right? Think again. After research, I found out that this is a common problem with the Prius HID headlights. The bulbs at the dealer are expensive ($150 to $200 each). The bulbs are not accessible unless you have the hands of a child. The dealer wants to remove the bumper to change the bulbs and of course they charge per hour for labor (you do the math). No recall by Toyota for their obvious mistake. Toyota really dropped the ball on this one. It really hurts their credibility in my opinion. Oh yeah, the gas milage is great. You'll be giving the savings back though. Do the research before you buy this car. "Toyota HID headlights problems" is all you have to type into your search engine. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hasn't forced Toyota to recall this issue. I guess they don't think that losing your headlights at night is a matter of public safety. I bet the officer that pulls you over and issues you a ticket is thinking otherwise. You have been warned.

Traction Control Is A BIG Problem

by Jim C from Chicago,IL | December 12, 2011

Before you buy a Prius test drive it when the streets are slippery. The problem with the car is you can't turn off the traction cintrol. When the streets are wet or icy the wheels will start to spin and then the traction control shuts off the power to the wheels until they stop spinning. This is very dangerous when turning into or across traffic. It's even worst when the tires begin to wear. For the people who live where it snows it's real bad in the snow. Trying to get started with snow on the ground is terible. If you ever get stuck in snow and want to spin the tires to get out forget it. The car will not let you spin the tires!

Excellent car

by Regular guy next door from Little Rock, AR | December 5, 2011

There is nothing to say - There is no competition for this car - In today's market there is no other car that you can buy for this price that gives 50+MPG, hauls 5 average sized adult passengers comfortably+2 large suitcases+2 carry ons (or you can fold down rear seats and make room for 6 large suitcases) and can go from 0-60MPH in less than 10 seconds. Don't let the outside dimensions fool you-Its intelligent inside design surprises everyone who sits in my car. Only reason I did not give 5 stars for reliability is because I have owned it for just 2 months and it is too soon to talk about reliability. So far I have had no problems at all. Many reviewers say it is not peppy enough but as long as you don't compare it to a sports car you should be fine.

Love, love, love it!

by ACJ from | December 5, 2011

I travel about 1,000 miles per week and this car is paying for itself in gas savings! Even my husband, our 3 kids and I fit in the car more comfortably than I had imagined. I cannot say enough good words about this car, I am thrilled with it!!

MOST ECONOMICAL CAR I HAVE OWNED

by tightwD from TROY,ILLINOIS | November 21, 2011

GREAT CAR!! ROOMY AND FOR RETIREES MY GAS BILL IS UNDER 40 BUCKS PER MONTH AND I DO NOT STAY HOME!!! LOVE HOW QUIET THE CAR IS EVEN ON WINDY DAYS AND HOW FAST IT CAN BE WHEN YOU MERGE AND IT IS A FUN AND SPUNKY CAR TO DRIVE. I HAVE NO DOUBT I WILL HAVE IT AS LONG IF NOT LONGER THAN THE 15 YEAR OLD CAMRY THAT HAS NEVER LEFT ME DOWN....STILL DRIVING IT TOO!! LOVE THE TOYOTA QUALITY!!!