1998 Toyota RAV4

Available in 6 styles:  Rav4 shown

Overall

213 k and running like new

by CTH from CO | April 24, 2014

I bought my Rav4 with 156,000 mi on it. That's when you retire other cars. Now I have 213,000 mi on it and I never had problems with this car. All I did was regular oil changes as maintenance. The repairs I did over the past five years were to replace the starter in the beginning, the battery 4 years later, and spark plugs and wires. That's it! It's a very reliable car, great for commuting or occasional offroad adventures to remote trailheads in the mountains. It handles very well in snow (AWD, locking differential, 5-speed manual), even in a foot of fresh powder. The reason for 4-stars on comfort and performance is that the noise level gets pretty high at high speeds, and it's somewhat undermotorized on steep grades uphill. I'll drive my Rav4 until it's done, which may be in another 100-200k. Knock on wood.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

This gem has NEVER given me a problem! No kidding.

by Fluffy from Boston MA | September 24, 2010

Everything about this car (little SUV) is wonderful. It's now 12 years old with 110,000 K miles and is on its second set of tires, second battery, third set of brakes. It has never not started and never let me down. It is still going strong though small things are going wrong this year; eg: the lock on one of the back doors no longer unlocks when all the others are unlocked from the front, the cup holder lost one of its pins & is now lopsided. Other than that she's going strong.

Great Compact SUV

by Jon from Columbus NE | September 15, 2010

I really enjoy driving my RAV4. I use it mostly for short trip driving in town, highway driving (farthest I have driven it is probably 80 miles), and light offroad driving. It handles great, and works well in all weather conditions. I use it for light offroad driving, in pastures and meadows for hunting and fishing, and it performs fine. I have the front wheel drive model, and it still gets me around in the outdoors. The ECT Power button is pretty cool, faster acceleration for fun, and more power for towing light trailers (and I mean pretty light), or making it up steeper hills. The reliability is great, (its a toyota for gosh sake), and I like the way it looks. Acceleration in town is alright, on the highway it gets the job done, but it seems a little lacking. But if you use the ECT button on highway conditions for passing, it does boost your acceleration up a bit (but of course lowers your fuel economy). Inside it is quite roomy for its size, and the layout of the controls is nice. The AC and heater work great, and the speakers sound good. I bought this vehicle used with 90k miles, and an aftermarket stereo. All in all it is a great little suv.

Good car! No problems at all!

by owner of toyota from new mexico | May 30, 2010

This was my first car I have ever own in my life. First, I was thinking, that if this car is 1998 its probably will be old and not cute, specially when you are a young female, but after my parents got this car for me, I was surprised that this car is super cute. I like the design of this car and it's so comfortable. I have been owning this car for almost 2 years and I love it! Also, this is good car for your 1st car. I got this car when the mileage was about 100,000 and I drive a lot, to work, to college, shopping almost every day, and after 2 years it has only 108,000 on it. Its great! And you won't believe in it, but I don't have problems with this car at all, only I was changing the oil and that's all. Really! If you want to avoid any problems, got this car, you won't be disappointed at all, even when my friends were driving this car, they just loved it, and some of them got the same ones. Toyota is a really good and specially this car, so don't waste your money and time, and get this car, I promise, no problems, even if the mileage is higher than 100,000...

Would like this car to last forever

by Starving Artist from Guildhall VT | May 18, 2010

This is the best car I've ever owned, and cute as a button, too. We live in an off-grid solar house on a mountain road that destroyed two Ford Rangers in short order, and the RAV (Rural Assault Vehicle :) ) can take it with minimal replacement parts. Since we have no truck now, it carries stuff Toyota never envisioned it doing without a complaint. Also, with some thought to packing, takes all my farmers market setup stuff, yet squeezes into the small spaces. I will be in mourning when this car finally goes. 160,000 miles on my original clutch, still has great pickup. Has sunroof too, love it.

Great Car! Great Value!

by Shay from New York | March 6, 2010

I had this car handed down to me from my mother who bought it new in 98 and it has been so reliable and has hardly needed any money put into it. It now has almost 220,000 miles on it and is a 5 speed manual with the original clutch. It is just a great value for the money, great 4 cyl suv to save on gas but still have to extra storage room in it. The car is great in the snow, especially with the 4x4. Great Car! Toyota knows how to make em.

Featured Services for this Toyota RAV4