2002 Toyota RAV4

Available in 2 styles:  2002 Toyota RAV4 4dr AWD shown

Overall

rav-4 good car

by lisa lee from california | May 25, 2013

everyone is nice and helpful I really love the car, Romeo was great and this has been a nice experience.

MOST RELIABLE CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED

by GREAT SMALL SUV from SHELBY TWP, MI | October 5, 2011

RELIABLE, SMOOTH RIDE, TROUBLE FREE,GOOD ON GAS AND I ENJOY DRIVING THIS SUV. I INTEND TO PASS ON TO MY SON THIS GREAT CAR IN NEAR FUTURE INSTEAD SELLING OR TRADING.AND THIS WILL BE MY SON'S FIRST CAR WHICH HE HAS DRIVEN RECENTLY AND HE LIKED IT VERY MUCH.

Long Time Toyota Owner

by Hard Core Driver from Snoqualmie Valley, WA | January 9, 2011

We purchased this car with 60,000 miles on it, and the only issue we had was the tranny computer, which was, later on, recalled by the company. Toyota issued a good faith recall for up to 8 years or 150,000 miles, whichever was first. The car suited our needs so well that we just fixed it and kept on driving. And driving. And..... driving. Very minor repairs, if any. It now has close to 200,000 miles and never fails to start or get from point A to point B. This car sees an average of 25-30,000 miles a year, all kinds of weather, and not a great schedule of upkeep. This engine can have a gelling problem, if you don't use synthetic oil or change regular oil every 2-3000 miles. Great for people with disabilities such as bad hips, or for those who have difficulty getting in and out of a regular car. Also the back door and roof line are so tall that you can remove the seats and it becomes almost like a small van in back. There is so much space, four bikes can fit easily! Road noise is definitely there, but for what the car is, that is a minor annoyance. Have had several Toyotas, and our only disappointment was the 06 V6 4x4 Rav we bought new. It was terrible in the snow, had a lag/surge problem with the tranny, and was dangerously overpowered. We still have our '02 and plan to buy another '04-'05 with 4WD. Hope this information helps someone out there who is considering one. They are a bit pricier, but if you don't like trips to the mechanic, then this car is for you... you will LOVE the resale value!

Reliable SUV

by Informed Vehicle Profiler from Spruce Pine, NC | October 14, 2010

The 2002 RAV 4 was a great vehicle. My wife owned it for six years and traded it in on a newer model (2007). The RAV 4 was a 4WD and did exceptionally well on slick roads, in snow or ice. The 4 cylinder engine was a little loud, but it was economical to own (26 mpg) and was well maintained by our family.

Great Value and So Practical!

by Country Girl from Catskill Mountains, NY | February 13, 2010

I can't say enough about my Rav4. It has 145k miles on it and the ONLY problem has been a sticky accelerator. (I just put the clutch in, pulled over and shut it off each time). This is a very practical size and yet, it gets 30 mpg. We have gone on family vacations with a dog crate, camping gear etc. and have also hauled ducks, chickens in crates to a fair...Bought it one year old and it has been SO reliable. This would be a good choice for a family with two children who still want to haul things...,need traction in winter weather, but can't live with low fuel efficiency.

Perfect for large eco-concerned guys

by Average Joe from Denver, CO | September 12, 2009

Sure, I’ve had a few repairs- breaks needed some work and recently the steering column needed work- but I’ve put 150,000 miles on the cart so no complaints. I’m a large man (6’2”, 250lbs) and this is one vehicle that fits me well. For the size and the ‘SUV’ name, it gets the best mileage that can be expected. I’ve driven out of snow drifts that would leave any car crippled and have carried a full sized clothes washer in the back (with the door closed)- what more could you want?

Poor Transmission

by Love Toyota from Grove City, Ohio | September 5, 2009

My family have owned three Toyotas in the last 10 years. We have had a Camry, Rav4 and just purchased an Highlander couple of weeks ago. We have been very pleased until our recent experience with the 2002 Rav 4. The Transimission packed up at 72,000 Miles. Toyota refused to do anything, we end up spending over $3,000 for Diagnosis and repair. What a shame for a brand that is always associated with quality.

good vehicle less one pricey repair

by scott from | July 11, 2009

I like toyota products having owned a corolla for 230000 miles. picked up a 2002 rav4L a year ago. ran well till one day ( at 85000 miles) transmission started shifting erratically. started downshifting for no reason. took to dealer for repair . ended up spending $1300 on new transmission computer. This has effected a fair number of rav4's and toyota will not cover it. so buyer beware check the service on the tranny computer first. otherwise great vehicle !!!.

Best Small SUV

by Love small vehicles from Milwaukee, WI | January 18, 2008

I love an SUV for driving in all kinds of weather -- including snow and ice. A small SUV is easy to park when doing errands and taking kids to all their activities. The Rav has everything I want, and it's fun to drive.

RAV takes all you can throw at it and wants more

by ADAM from Cotati Ca | February 25, 2007

I have had my 2002 RAV4 since I bought it new in 2002. It has served me well for 5 years and I have never had a problem with it. I consistently get 28-31 mpg and I can haul many many things in the cabin with the versitle seat configurations. I love my rav and will not be giving it up until it does.